Canton Ohio WLS Support Group

Recent Posts

Terrib
on 11/23/12 1:29 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: DECEMBER SUPPORT GROUP MEETING

REMINDER - There will be no meeting month of December due to all the TRAVELING AND EVENTS most members are involved with.

Meeting will resume in January, the third Wednesday of the month!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!

Terri
ObesityHelp Support Group Leader
www.wlsterrib.com

LisaBee1964
on 5/7/11 12:41 pm - OH
Topic: RE: **Hi Everyone!**
hi, my name is lisa too, from the akron area. had roux n y on march 29...looking forward to getting to know you
  I am lovin' life!         
Terrib
on 3/15/11 12:33 pm - Clayton, NC
Topic: You won't believe it!

I adore peanut butter but refrained from eating it due to the high caloric and fat content.  Then one of my support group members told me about this stuff called PB-2.  Okay, I admit it.  I was skeptical about a peanut butter in a powdered form.  I thought to myself how can this even remotely taste anything like the “real thing"?

Well……was I totally surprised!  It tasted terrific!  Not only does it taste like the real thing, it is preservative free and contains no artificial sweeteners and has 85% less fat calories of regular peanut butter.  What could be better than that??? 

Here is the link, it is called PB2 http://store.bellplantation.com/?Click=24946.  They have regular and chocolate.  I asked the dietician where I had my surgery and he even agreed it was great!  If you have any doubts about the benefits of PB2 vs. traditional peanut butter, read on. Keep in mind, that PB2 is all natural peanut butter without the fat or the added hydrogenated oil.

Traditional

PB2

2 Tbsp – 190 calories

2 Tbsp – 45 calories

Calories from fat - 130

Calories from fat – 13

Saturated fat – 3 grams

Saturated fat – 0 grams

Now, to coin a phrase, “I have my cake, um peanut butter, and eat it too!!"  OMG, I sound like a commercial.

I made a smoothie using the following (which if I do say so myself, was incredible tasting!)

BANANA, CHOCOLATE, PEANUT BUTTER SMOOTHIE

¼ cup Skim Milk

2 tblsp prepared PB2

2 tblsp S/F DaVinci Chocolate Syrup

1 Scoop Unjury Unflavoured Whey Protein (Or your favourite protein Supplement)*

½ Cup crushed Ice

1 small sliced Banana, frozen or fresh (Note:  Slice & freeze when they start to over-ripen)

Place all ingredients in blender on high until everything is blended well.  ENJOY!

*Note:  If you do not require the protein, this can be made without and tastes just as good.

Nutritional info PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
Amount per 2 Tablespoon serving (when mixed with water):
Calories: 45
Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g  3%
Saturated fat 0 g  0%
Trans fat < 0.01 g
Cholesterol < 0.01 mg  0%
Sodium 94 mg  4%
Total carbohydrate 5 g  2%
Dietary fiber 2 g  8%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A < 1%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium <1%
Iron 0%

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 2/22/11 10:29 am, edited 2/27/11 10:00 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: Ohio Meet & Greet Event
WOW, EXCITING NEWS! YOU’RE INVITED OHIO MEET & GREET

We are currently coordinating a Bariatric WLS Meet and Greet event.  What a great way to meet, greet and celebrate with other WLS patients. Share your stories, some laughs and form new relationships.

WHEN: April 30, 2011 TIME: 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

WHERE: JOHN KNOX CHURCH, 5155 Eastlake St NW, Just south of Portage Rd. off Frank Ave, North Canton, OH 44720. Easy access off Interstate 77 http://www.mapquest.com/mq/10-ie6uxn5t      

More details will be released soon, however so far the itinerary includes:

?Motivational Speaker Bo McCoy from ObesityHelp.com
?Dr. Dennis Hurwitz, renown plastic surgeon
?Celebrate Vitamins
?St.Vincent Center for Bariatric Surgery
?Door Prizes
?Snacks & refreshments
?More to be announced

THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS:

EVENT TICKETS $10

per person Ticket covers all activities of the event, snacks, refreshments, speakers plus much more!

Bariatric Support Center Inc.

WLSFA

Why not make it a weekend of fun? Attend the meet and greet Saturday. On Sunday visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame, or there are plenty of places to shop and restaurants galore! There are several hotels close to choose from in the area if you plan on spending the night.  

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR TO RESERVE A PLACE AND HELP US PLAN FOR THE EVENT CONTACT:

TERRI BLACK - CANTON WLS SUPPORT GROUP LEADER 

Voice Mail: 330-933-4094
Email: [email protected]
www.wlsterrib.com

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 2/21/11 10:47 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: NEW YORK - OH Event for 2011 DISCOUNT CODE
For those of you who are planning to attend the OH event in New York, as a group member of our support group, when booking, use the following code for a discount on your registration fee!  

Promo code:  BlackNY11

Click here for more information
www.wlsterrib.com and go to the upcomming events tab.  Click on "Sexy in the City".

See you there! 

Terri Black
Group Leader

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 8/30/10 10:56 am, edited 8/30/10 11:39 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: Cincinnati OH Event-AMAZING!!!
I WANT TO THANK ALL THE MEMBERS THAT ATTENDED THE CINCINNATI OH EVENT!

For me it was an amazing event.  I have been to a few of the OH events, however this one was by far the biggest one yet!  Over 300 people were in attendance.  I met so many wonderful people and hope to stay in contact with them

From the Q&A (which I was honored to be on the panel) to the Fashion Show (which I help coordinate)..for me, was a dream come true.

I am so fortunate to have been able to have WLS offering me a second chance at life.  It is my passion to pay it forward by facilitating a support group in the effort to help anyone that I can regarding WLS.  I gain so much from my group members, including on going support for myself.  Who could ask for anything more???

I have posted some pics of the Cincinnati event, and would again like to thank OH for hosting such a terrific event!  Thank you Kim Gyurina for allowing me be on the Q&A panel and assist with the Fashion show and my breakout session, and Yvonne McCarthy for her expertise and support.  

To everyone...if you ever have the opportunity to attend an OH event....PLEASE DO.  You will be glad you did!

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 7/26/10 1:17 pm - Clayton, NC
Topic: Cincinnati Event - Not too Late!!!!
ObesityHelp Cincinnati Weight Loss Conference 2010....here we come!!

When:
August 20, 06:30 pm - August 21, Midnight 2010   Where: The Westin Cincinnati
21 E. 5th Street
Cincinnati, OH
Hotel Websitehttp://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1044
Hotel Phone: 513-621-7700

Just to remind everyone, the OH Fashion Show is open to anyone who wants to participate. After having surgery and working so hard to stay on track, you deserve to show off a bit! 

We ask that you send in high resolution “before" photos and a very short bio of yourself to the Fashion Show Coordinator: 
Terri Black @[email protected]

I will send them on to the department who is putting them all together to be shown on a large screen while you strut your stuff on the catwalk to music furnished by the DJ! This starts at 8 pm on Saturday evening and we ask that you provide the outfit that you would like to be photographed in!

To keep with our schedule, you may be asked to join the other models by 7:45 that evening to coordinate the lineup.
 Upon submitting this photo to me, you are giving ObesityHelp your permission to use your likeness on OH's website or in the OH magazine. 

[email protected]   

Time is running out so get those photos and bios in...we'd love to have you participate!

See you there,

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 3/28/10 12:22 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: RE: **Hi Everyone!**
Hi Lisa!

So good to see your post.  Please forgive me in not responding sooner.  I have been coordinating the April support group meeting hosting the world renown plastic surgeon Dr. Hurwitz.

As far as the weight loss all of us lose differently.  Some may lose quite a bit, while others lose much slower.  We never should compare ourselves to others.  It is very important to get in your protein and I am pleased to see that you are doing better.  Also try and make sure that you obtain most of your protein through food and not just supplements.

Exercise of course is very important.  I am not familiar with the Jenny McCarthy Web Cam Program, however my opinion is, if it works for you, GO FOR IT! 

I wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions or concerns, give me a shout!

Terri

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

Terrib
on 3/28/10 12:11 am, edited 6/28/10 2:18 am - Clayton, NC
Topic: Cincinnati Weight Loss Conference 2010 & Fashion Show

The Cincinnati OH Weight Loss Conference 2010 Fashion Show is open to anyone who wants to participate.  After having surgery and working so hard to stay on track, you deserve to show off a bit! 

We ask that you send in high resolution “before" photos and a very short bio of yourself to the Fashion Show Coordinator, (hey, that's me!) who is representing the event you are attending. I will send them on to the department who is putting them all together to be shown on a large screen while you strut your stuff on the catwalk to music! This starts at 8 pm on Saturday evening during the event, and we ask that you provide the outfit that you would like to be photographed in! To keep with our schedule, you may be asked to join the other models by 7:45 that evening to coordinate the lineup.Upon submitting this photo, you are giving ObesityHelp your permission to use your likeness on our website or in our magazine. 

Coordinator:Cincinnati Event:      [email protected]     (Terri)

If you plan on attending the ObesityHelp Cincinnati Weight Loss Conference 2010, please mention my PROMO CODE of BLACK10 when you register to obtain your ticket for $35.*

*Full access to the ObesityHelp Cincinnati Weight Loss Conference at The Westin Cincinnati from August 20, 2010 to August 21, 2010. This includes Friday reception and Saturday lunch.  All event tickets are non-refundable.

Terri
www.wlsterrib.com

wildgoldcougar
on 3/21/10 1:33 pm - Akron, OH
Topic: **Hi Everyone!**
Hi Everyone,
    I am Lisa and I had a RNY procedure done on February 2nd.  I haven't posted much because I just haven't felt really like myself.  However, I am starting to feel more social and ready to chat about these huge changes in my life.  
     I am losing weight since surgery, but it's slow ~ only about 3 lbs a week.  Is that normal?  Has anyone experienced this only 6 weeks out from surgery?  I lost about 18 lbs pre-op, and about 23 lbs post-op.  I didn't concentrate on getting the amount of protein I was told to get (65-75gm daily****il I was past a month post-op.  Although I'm doing really good now with it (even if some of doesn't taste so good).  
     I also didn't think about exercise over the last 6 weeks while I was recovering, but I am getting ready to start a plan this week.  I have the big bouncy ball (I think I'm supposed to sit on) and a stationary bike.  I like to walk with friends, but I walk a lot at work so I wanted to change up the exercise a bit.  I was curious about that Jenny McCarthy Web Cam exercise program that scans your body and how you move to make sure you are moving right....Does anyone have this to give me some feedback?  
     Oh, and by the way, I work third shift so my responses and posts may be at odd times.  I hope that is okay with everyone, and thanks for reading!! 
~Lisa.