Considering DS

RhondaJS
on 5/29/17 6:39 pm

Ok so, I just had a revision from VSG to DS on 4/10. I had great success the first time (114 lbs) and slowly gained it all back. The sleeve is a purely restrictive diet that frankly doesn't have a lot of longterm research on it. My revision surgeon said that now that we have some vsgers that are 8-10 years out, we are going to start seeing more and more of those people regaining and needing revision surgery.

So I'm now 7 weeks out from the stage II DS. Do I regret the surgery? Absolutely not. Honestly, my recovery from the VSG surgery was more difficult that this one the first four weeks. All I kept hearing was how difficult taking vitamins were and how awful your poop is going to stink. Or that you're going to have uncontrollable diarrhea. The vitamin regimen isn't that difficult. Poo stinks whether you have a DS or not. And DS poop smells are largely diet controlled. I have not once, or even come close, to pooping my pants.

Do some research on DS surgery long term. DS has the best success rates in terms of less weight regain, diabetes, hypertension...VSG is still a newer surgery and there's not that many longterm studies out there. The only caveat is because this would be a revision surgery, you're going to lose at a slower weight than a first time surgery. It has to do with metabolism and each surgery you have lowers your metabolism a little bit more. Think twice, cut once. But you only have 40 lbs to lose. I bet you'll lose more and keeps it off longterm with the DS.

Where I did hit a snag was with my iron levels. I've had lowish iron for years (and have done B12 injections and vitamin D supplements since college too). My iron panel plummeted week 4 post op and I ended up having an iron infusion last thursday. I am still on the mend and not liking feeling as fatigued as I do 7 weeks out.

But I would do it all over again. I wish I had gotten the DS the first time around. I really thought I had beaten obesity the first go round and it was embarrassing to gain back all of the weight. Whatever you chose to do, be kind to yourself. Good luck!

RhondaJS
on 5/29/17 6:47 pm

P.S. I knew I forgot something! I was not re-sleeved. My surgeon does not believe in it. The benefit likely won't outweigh risks with resleeving. You are more likely to have GI bleeds, have longterm scar tissue in your stomach, narrowing of the stoma, etc....it sounds like you still have restriction and if I were you, I'd leave your pouch alone.

I can get in about 8-10 oz soft protein (greek yogurt) and 6ish ounces of tougher proteins (like ground beef). I do get hungry. This hasn't changed because my stomach wasn't changed. I started getting hunger pains with my vsg about 2 years post op? However, the hunger feeling is different for me with the DS. I FEEL hungry plus I get a low grade headache. Eating makes it go away. I feel like I have to eat more frequently with the DS (every couple of hours vs. every 4 or so). I could go hours without eating with the VSG (which is not healthy) but I don't think I can get away with the with the DS.

If you do get the DS, will your insurance cover it?

vixen01
on 5/30/17 3:36 pm
Wow, you've been very helpful. You answered some of my biggest concerns. And realizing everyone is different I do take what you've said for what it's worth.....your experience. Thank you so much for sharing.

I am terrified about doing the DS and feeling hungry and then also about losing too much weight. The surgeon says no because of the malabsorption it and the fact I can still eat a lot. I am so screwed up in the head about my weight and how I look.

I am looking at being a self pay. I've been researching and researching and I'm just nervous about the surgery and how I will feel physically after. I'm a very active person and to think I could be in pain or in recovery 6-8 weeks later would be a lot. My VSG recovery was a breeze. I can only hope for a second go round.

To your point about re-sleeve. I don't think they will touch mine and that's fine with me. I eat a normal or below normal amount of food. Where I get screwed is in the frequency and maybe not always the best choices. I am not a snacked but I'll nurse the heck out of a potatoe and steak. Lol. Anyway, it's a lot to consider.

Have you lost much since surgery? Are you able to do regular errands like grocery and or post office?
  SW: 245  GW: 150  CW: 142 

th_LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg        
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views