Did you worry?

Erin T.
on 5/7/17 2:21 pm, edited 5/7/17 2:23 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

That you wouldn't be able to stop losing? I'm posting this here, because I know this could make me seem like a real jerk to those people who started out above me in weight or are generally struggling.

I'm 5'7" tall. High weight was 283, surgery weight was 229.8 and current weight is 169. I'm 16 weeks post op this coming Tuesday. My Bari Center set my goal at 159 which is a 25 BMI. I set my personal goal at 147, as that is "ideal" BMI for my height. I'm pretty well certain I'll be at 159 by my 6 month visit in July, and I'm planning on talking to them about a plan to transition to maintenance when I'm there (with the idea that I very slowly add in some calories until I stop losing, and during that time can hopefully get the last 10-15lbs off that I'm hoping for my goal).

I've never wanted to be super small. In fact, if someone told me I could never be smaller than I am now I'd be totally fine with that. I literally have never been in the 160's during adult life before now. I'm in a size 8 jeans and a medium top, and I look lanky. My sister is 5'10" and is around 120lbs and people are realizing now that I have the same sort of skeletal structure as her.

It seems like most folks here are either just wanting to be under 200 or they "go all the way" and are 120-130lbs. Maybe I'd love it if I was that thin? Is there anyone who went to maintenance around the 6 month mark?

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

NotOldMomma
on 5/7/17 3:20 pm

lol yes I was worried about it, glad I'm not the only one but the others have advised me that the cases where you lose too much is rare and when you want to maintain weight, start adding the cals back in, jus****ch the types of cals, you don't want to add in something that is your trigger to potentially overeat. Say ice cream is your trigger, don't add in anything similar so your body doesn't start craving it, but there are sugar free fake ice cream options if you think you can handle it. I mean I don't know from personal experience from wls cause I'm still pre-op, but I once was 420, lost 150 on Atkins in 9 months, maintained it a long time like 8 years, but still too heavy so going to do the surgery. doc says I need to lose 30 to shrink liver before surgery, that was 11 days ago. I'm down 15 in that 11 days, like you I know I'll have that ability to hit maintenance around 6 months and asked the question about being afraid to get too thin, but everyone has assured me that 99.99% doesn't ever have that problem. I think there is a maintenance forum on here start looking at it now so you can already be prepared and maybe you might need to start by slowing down the rate of loss now so you don't continue passed what your goal is. I mean I don't know for sure but that seems reasonable to me, but, I know most people on here are awesome so don't anyone else jump on my back in case they think I'm completely wrong lol Good Luck and keep up the good work!

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP. ......

lykapal
on 5/8/17 4:14 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I was under 130 lbs at my 6 month mark. Knowing I'd like to settle in around 120, I did some mild transitioning. I added more variety to my diet, but I didn't go crazy. I wouldn't call it maintenance, but I did increase my calories up quite a bit. It felt natural to me, so I think as long as your doctor considers you healthy and you feel good where you are, do what feels right for you.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Roz !!!!
on 5/10/17 8:24 am - Butler, PA

One of the biggest mistakes I made was starting maintenance too soon. Every one convinced me I was getting too thin and then I started worrying. I added in more calories to slow down the losing stage and I really regret it!!!!

The 12-15 pound bounce back is not a rumor it is a real thing!!!! If you decide to start increasing your calories don't do it with carbs. The one thing you don't want to do is get hooked on "bad" carbs again. I've known so many posters that started gaining weight back and couldn't stop. WLS is not a cure all!!!!!! It is a tool that you have to use the rest of your life!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...