My weight loss Goal met.

Junegirl72
on 2/16/17 6:08 pm

I have never posted on here but have been activlly reading these posts sinces a month before my RNY that I had on

5\ 9\2016. My highest weight was 194 and my surgery weight was 187.8 .I am 5 ft tall and my BMI was about 37 ish. Idid not have alot of support going into this because most people felt that I was not heavy enough.I had comorbititys though.High blood pressure,diabetes,fatty liver and ashma .I also had a fundoplictation procedure when I was 12 years old now 43 That had slipped and ended up tucked in my chest cavety.Because of my past surgery I needed to have an open procedure.My surgery was a long one lasting 5 and half hours .I had a esophageal hernia that needed repair and a lot of inhesion to deal with.with all that being said and done I am 9 months out and weigh 118 pounds as of yesterday and in a size 2 .My blood pressure is normal. I have no more diabetes and I hardly ever have to use my inhaler for my ashma.Now my family is being so negitive and telling me that I am losing to much weight and need too stop losing.I feel really good about my self right now on my sucess,But am extremely sad on my familys disapproval.I am in need of some suport from people that understand what I am going trough.Thank you so much for listening

Laura in Texas
on 2/16/17 7:58 pm

Do not listen to them. They are just not used to seeing you at a normal weight. They will get used to it eventually. Sadly too many people listen to well-meaning family/friends and eat more to stop their loss. Many of them then start to gain and then have trouble losing the regain. Do not let this happen to you. Keep following your plan.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Roz !!!!
on 2/18/17 5:29 am - Butler, PA

Nice to see you posting and encouraging our Newbies!!   I could use some help with that.  It looks like I'm just about the last of the "oldies"!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/17/17 3:01 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

What Laura said! People started asking me if I had lost too much once I got into the normal BMI category. I am in the middle of it and was thinking that I was too skinny based on their comments but recently realized that I'm really not (ribs are not sticking out - bones are covered with the proper amount of padding).  It sounds like you are in a good place (weight and health wise)!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Roz !!!!
on 2/18/17 5:34 am - Butler, PA

I was wondering how the face turned out.  What did you have done, was it super painful, expensive etc.?  I can hide all of my extra skin on my body but my face is really agining.

I'm in my 60's so I'd look crazy with no wrinkles but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have as many as I have now.  Dr. gave me a script for Retina A but it's helping with brown spots but as soon as soon as summer comes I'm pretty sure they will be coming back.

Roz

on Maintenance

lykapal
on 2/17/17 5:23 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I had RNY one week after you, and I hit my goal at 9 months as well, so cool!

But, I have a few family members who say I should start eating more because I look "skinny enough". My response to them is always the same. I didn't have RNY to get skinny, I had it to get healthy. When I reach my goals I won't just be smaller, I'll be strong and healthy. And if they can only see that I've lost weight, they aren't looking hard enough. 

Yeah, I know what you're going through and I hope you find a way to either help them understand or find a way to just block out their negativity and be happy and proud of yourself. 

You've done a GREAT thing for yourself!!

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Roz !!!!
on 2/17/17 11:20 am, edited 2/17/17 3:20 am - Butler, PA

Soooo glad to meet you!!!  I always wonder how many Readers we have.

I'm over 8 years out and I have only 2 regrets.  #1 Not having WLS when I was younger and #2 Increasing my calories because everyone said I was getting too thin.

DON'T LISTEN TO ANY ONE!!!  LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!  If you feel healthy, not skin and bones and especially not at the bottom of your normal BMI KEEP GOING!!!!!!  Everyone has bounce back weight so you want to go as low as you can so the bounce back puts you at a "Good" number on the scale for your body. 

Roz

on Maintenance

lykapal
on 2/17/17 6:05 pm, edited 2/17/17 10:05 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I had a 9 month follow up with the surgeon Wednesday this week. The PA told me I was at a good weight for my size and that I probably wouldn't lose much more weight, if any. I think I'll try to prove her wrong just because of this -- Everyone has bounce back weight so you want to go as low as you can so the bounce back puts you at a "Good" number on the scale for your body. 

Roz you're absolutely right. I don't feel skinny or bony. I have plenty of fat left to lose

I am going to be adding in some intense weight training because in the 60+ pounds I've lost, 10 of them were muscle. I'm not at all happy with that.

Were all here for support, reach out anytime. I might be new like you, but I'm on your side! We got this. :)

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Roz !!!!
on 2/18/17 5:26 am - Butler, PA

Smart Girl!!!!!  Can I ask you one question?  To late...I'm asking you anyway...lol.  Have you exercised (trained) your whole life and do you 100% intend to do it the rest of your life?

I've found that the ones who started this after WLS either got bored with it or after they reached goal thought they didn't need to do it any more.  They quit and then started gaining their weight back.  I've never exercised a single day so I have to keep my eating under control to keep my weight off.

Roz

on Maintenance

lykapal
on 2/18/17 7:37 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I DO NOT do any type of aerobic exercise, and I have no intention of starting now. LOL  I don't enjoy it, it's not fun. I do like the Leslie Sansone walking DVDs, but I have no intention of maintaining any sort of structured aerobic exercise plan.

I have trained with weights since I was a teenager. It is something I love to do. I gave it up several years ago but now that I'm feeling healthy I'd like to start back again. I know it's an ongoing commitment, but it's something I love to do, so I'm sure I'll be able to maintain any gains. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views