Introduction

HonestOmnivore
on 2/1/17 9:23 am
RNY on 03/29/17

Hello,

I'm from Ohio, and just passed thru the preliminary work, was approved by my insurance and now waiting for the surgical date. I'm planning on having the RNY, hopefully in March.

I'm 49, 5'3" and my CW is about 208, my GW is 120. I wear a US Women's size 16-18 and work in a "business professional" office.

I'm anxious because I'm older, and I'm no newb to the WL world. I was a pretty healthy kid who started getting a pudge in high school and felt FAT in the mid 80s when I was 15 lbs overweight. Until I was almost 40, I managed to stay on the chubby side of healthy but then in a few years my weight grew quickly (I joke I had sympathy weight gain for my sisters and friends pregnancies).  My heaviest was 235, in 2005 (38 yrs old) and I've been as light as 180s in 2009 but generally I'm hovering within ten pounds of 200. I eat a healthy diet, and take in between 1200 to 1700 calories averaging about 1650 (I've tracked my food intake since 2009.) My body does not like to close in on the 190 mark, it fights it with every weapon from insane cravings to extreme fatigue.

For those of you who did the RNY at a BMI of 35 ish, what was your weight loss like post surgery? What were your biggest issues? AND did you tell your friends and family that you had the surgery?

Thanks!

Melinda

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

lykapal
on 2/1/17 10:37 am
RNY on 05/16/16

My heaviest weight was around 185, not sure since I would get too depressed to step on a scale once I hit 170+. My BMI on surgery day was 34.7, (4'11"-172 lbs) and I was 48 when I had RNY. 

I think my weight history is very similar to yours. I remember feeling fat when I weighed 130 lbs. A good healthy weight for me is around 110 lbs, so that made me easily 20 lbs over weight. Not a big deal to someone 6' tall, but it made me pudgy around the middle. I stayed at that weight until I was about 37/38 years old. That's when early onset menopause hit. At least that's what my doc told me. Well I wasn't happy to hear that I would just have to accept that I was going to be obese just because my ovaries were failing. I tried every diet known to man, and they all worked, but only until I stopped. I always gained all of the weight back, plus a pound or five. :/ 

I think my weight loss went incredibly well, I hit every goal I was hoping for and I did it much faster than I had hoped. I'm down to my last (personal) goal of 110 lbs by my surgery anniversary. That's May 16, and I'm at 119.0 as of this morning. So, 9 pounds to reach my personal goal with 3.5 months to get there. I'm feeling pretty good about my chances.

My biggest challenge so far has been hormones. I had been going through some pretty nasty perimenopause for over 10 years and just prior to surgery I was hopeful that it was nearly over. I had gone 7 months without a cycle- SO CLOSE!! Hot flashes were gone, mood swings much easier, anger and anxiety easing up. Then when I started shedding weight post-op, they came back. I have to deal with monthly cycles again, including raging PMS and acne a teenager would be crying over. Sheeesh! 

I only told a few family members, and I still haven't told any friends. I'm a very private person. I feel like this is a personal experience, and I don't share any other medical info about myself, so this is really no different. It's not that I'm ashamed, but I feel like it would be too easy for people to judge my decision and choices if I put this out there. Most people couldn't understand why I was always on a diet, imagine me telling them I had gastric bypass?? Man, the judgement. LOL, no.

Anyway, this was the best thing I ever did for myself, and congrats on getting approved!! Good luck on your journey!

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Jody ***
on 2/1/17 10:58 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Hi there!

I too was 49 when I had my RNY.  I also am 5'3 and my high weight was 218 and my surgery weight was 208... we have very similar stats.

My goal was 125.  I hit that at my 9 month mark.  I am now over 8 years out and have had my ups and downs but am now within 2-3 lbs of my original goal weight.

My weight loss was pretty consistent - but don't expect to have the huge loss numbers other folks who need to lose more do - when you do start your journey, look at the percentage of weight loss versus the scale number (I know, easier said than done!) to help keep your sanity.  I lost 93 lbs total.  I did get a little lower about 2 years after but didn't like me at that weight.  

I had a particular bad experience when I told a stranger I was having the surgery - and swore I wouldn't tell another soul.  In fact, I didn't tell my mother until the night before.  Of course my husband and kids knew - and I think I told my sister.  It is a very personal choice and experience - and there are a lot of naysayers out there - everyone knows someone who has a horror story... I found over the years that the majority of the "horror stories" were people who didn't follow the rules (you'll hear everyone they knew gained all the weight back) with either their food or their vitamins/protein.  

Now I'm pretty open about it - because the way I see it, you can argue with success ;)  But - since I am so far out I have friends who never knew me heavy, so it really isn't a huge factor in my life anymore.  

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery - you will not regret it a bit!!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Roz !!!!
on 2/1/17 12:09 pm - Butler, PA

Welcome to our LW Board!!!!!   I'm over 8 years out and I've never been happier!!!  I'm a shorty at 4'11" so that jumped my BMI up to 41 and I was 54 when I had my RNY.

My DH (Darling Husband) and my 3 DD's (Darling Daughters)  knew I was having WLS but I didn't tell anyone else until the week of surgery and then I told my Mom, Sister, and Brother.  My brother told me all of the "gain it back" stories but that still inspires me now to keep it off.  I want to be the one success story he has heard about.  

Except for a couple of weeks at the beginning when I had a little depression I've had an easy ride.  I had my surgery in mid October and by Christmas I couldn't wait to have my picture taken in front of the tree.  By June I had lost 78 pounds and hit my first goal weight of 125 pounds. The next 6 months I lost 26 pounds which  put at 98 lbs. on the scale.  That's when I started getting the "are you sick" stares and questions.  I decided that was way to low for me.  I increased my calories (mostly protein) and I have settled at 118-120 range which is pretty perfect for me.  I feel good here and it's not much of a struggle to stay within my range. 

You might have a stall or two on the way down so don't get discouraged.  During that time we usually loose inches so take your measurements before you have surgery and see the numbers go down even when the scale doesn't is really an encourager.

My biggest issue was....SPENDING TOO MUCH MONEY ON CLOTHES ON THE WAY DOWN!!!!!!!  I dropped sizes so quickly that I took "new" clothes to Dress for Success and the local Salvation Army.

ENJOY your Adventure....It is quite an exciting ride!!!!   Will be here if you need us!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lykapal
on 2/1/17 12:50 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

It's funny you mention spending too much money on clothes!!

My husband was so happy this weekend. I found a couple of tops that I was willing to pay retail for. I haven't allowed anyone to buy me clothes since my surgery because I'm still losing weight (and inches). I got 5 tops in size small and they fit perfectly. I think maybe even a little loose. I just love the way they feel, so I let him get me 2 shirts in a few different colors. It's so funny to hear other people telling me to wear clothes that fit! I still parade around in my 2x stuff. LOL I know I look ridiculous, but I hate clingy clothes. Ever since my obese days I hate to wear anything snug.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

MajorMom
on 2/1/17 2:06 pm - VA

Welcome aboard!  I yo-yo'd myself into a corner and struggled to maintain Army weight my whole adult life. We all understand your struggles here. Good luck moving forward. Keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

HonestOmnivore
on 2/1/17 2:27 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

Thanks everyone! I've been in the "any day insurance will be approved" hold for a couple weeks longer than expected, and now I'm in the delay while schedules worked out. I work for the health system where I am having the surgery, it's a GREAT program but the administration has been a little distracted with the current healthcare upheaval. A lot of patients are trying to schedule surgeries and procedures before they might lose coverage for "wellness" type procedures that ObamaCare had been encouraging.

Anyway, I'm frustrated with the wait, and excited to get going!

I have been buying all my clothes for the past 15 years of obesity, at either thrift stores on on eBay because "No reason to invest in this size, I'll be dropping fifty pounds in the next few month!" Pipe dream!  I'm hoping that my business skirts will be my go to, as they can be taken is pretty easily!  My closest friends know I'm looking into it, but I'm not sure what I want to share with my office. I don't have any saved PTO (see Egypt photos LOL) so it will be unpaid leave, I'm planning on being vague.

I had a mastectomy in 2011 and ended up having a few reconstruction surgeries after that. The last reconstruction surgery was 13 hours. I'm hoping this will be less difficult to recover from, maybe more like my oopherectomy with exploratory surgery where they basically removed my ovaries, tubes, then dug around in the pelvic cavity talking little biobpises and looking for cancer. That was a painful (like sharp stabbing pain) surgery but I was able to return to work in less than two weeks. I actually returned to work much earlier than expected after most surgeries because having my DH underfoot is way more difficult than being at the office!!!!

Is there anything you all wished you'd known when you were at the waiting stage?

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Roz !!!!
on 2/2/17 9:55 am - Butler, PA

I don't have any regrets looking back at that stage. I had to do a mandatory 6 month waiting period.  Working the health field you are probably aware of all of the does and don't of the RNY. 

I didn't so I took advantage of that time to get rid of my Diet Pepsi habit and cut back on sugar. I also had to loose 1 pound each month and not allowed to show a gain on weighing day. I know others have quit smoking etc.  I was so glad I found this site because I learned a lot from our LW's experiences (lots more posters back then).  Bought a small plate etc. that I still like to use.  Tried out Protein drinks and vitamins etc. to see what I could tolerate but my tastes changed for a while after surgery but it did get me use to taking those things.  I read everything and asked my friends a million questions. Prepared my family (DH and DD#1 was totally against it) as to what to expect.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/2/17 3:28 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had VSG (not RNY) just after my 61st birthday.  My history is similar to yours.  I had a 6 month insurance required supervised weight loss period prior to surgery and lost 1/3 of my excess weight during that period (weight loss stats are in my signature).  I got to my goal weight in about 6 months and am currently 10 pounds under goal at 10 months post-op trying to add back 5 or so (who would have EVER thought that would happen).  I found WLS to be much easier than I expected (little pain, no nausea).  I had PS (TT and facelift) 3 weeks ago and found that to be much more difficult.

I only told my husband, kids, and 2 SIL/BFFs.  However, starting about 3-4 months after surgery I opened up about WLS, even at work. Sometimes people thinking about doing it find it helpful to talk to someone who has done it, so I thought I should be open about it. 

It was the best decision I ever made! The only real issues I have had are figuring out what foods appeal to me and fill me up and the loose skin I ended up with on my belly and at my jawline/under my *****hence the PS).  Also, I've spent a lot of $ on clothing (but found some great online and local consignment shops which have helped).  And lately I am in a US size 0 which is hard to find (if I get some more meat on my bones I'll be a 2 which is easier). 

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

HonestOmnivore
on 2/2/17 5:42 am
RNY on 03/29/17

I had a TT as part of my (final) breast reconstruction surgery and oh my, that was a painful experience (the DRAINS!!!!). I sure hope I have your kind of success! I'm so tired of being too big and weak to live the life I desire!

SW - 206 CW - 128

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views