New person here, lots of issues.

Cosmos2112
on 10/2/16 10:46 am

I first posted in Diet &Nutrition forum but having problems with iPad cut and paste, so I'll ask here. Because I'm considered a lightweight, my BMI just over 35.  I'm female, and 5'7, age 59. Been overweight most of my entire adult life. I'm also a type 2 diabetic, sleep apnea, high blood pressure and a few others. I see the dietician this week. I've been told I can't lose more than 2# in order to maintain my current BMI. I've done a few on line calculators that take your stats and then give you a caloric range. Nearly three different sites wanted me to have nearly 3000 calories a day. However, I'm trusting what my dietician plans for me. That seems to be logical to me. 

If I pass all the tests and get my visits in I plan to have the gastric bypass surgery this December. Has anyone here been in the situation like mine? My dietician will help me to eat healthy and to maintain my weight. I also have lactose intolerance. I drink 2% milk with the Kirtland brand tablets. 2% cottage cheeses as well. I'm one of those people who love protein shakes as well. 

My weight fluctuates a lot.  I didn't change anything since Friday and I'm down 2# already.  How can my insurance hold me to the BMI when I have all the other diseases? 

For example, today for breakfast I had three large eggs and 1/2 cup liquid egg whites and one piece of 50 calorie bread. Lunch I had one cup 2% cottage cheese and a bunch of cherry tomatoes. I also had a EAS Advantage protein drink. Tonight will be a challenge as I'm going to my parents for dinner. Nothing drowning in sugar there as my dad is a diabetic. I'll just moderate myself. 

Dietician visit Tuesday. 

Roz !!!!
on 10/2/16 12:44 pm - Butler, PA

Welcome to our LW Board!  Did you get to see thr Surgeon? Our Nut didn't know any details as far as the surgery part. They usually submit you first weight and want you to loose some before surgery. 

You can probably call your insurance company and ask them the requirements with health probbems. 

Keep us updated!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Cosmos2112
on 10/2/16 2:25 pm

I saw the surgeon Friday. I like him. he has done over 4000 surgeries. I will also see another doctor and I think I get a physical which I haven't had in years. 

Price S.
on 10/2/16 1:18 pm - Mills River, NC

My Dr went with my 1st weight on my 1st visit for insurance approval.  I was over your BMI and had other issues but at least around here, the dr's keep good track of the insurance requirements.  I would not try to lose at this point until you are approved and certainly talk to your insurance and Dr but I would hope you would be fine. 

My weight fluctuates a lot.  I feel like I eat pretty much the same all the time and I am up and down.  We have had folks in your situation who have worn heavy clothing and shoes, carried a roll of quarters in every pocket, drank a lot of water, etc.  Whatever it takes to get approved (without hurting your health obviously).

Stay in touch and good luck.  Let us know how you are progressing.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cosmos2112
on 10/2/16 2:29 pm

I have heard about the heavy clothing. I just wore a tshirt and jeans. I just don't want to get stressed about my weight. 

Cosmos2112
on 10/5/16 5:51 pm

I wanted to give an update today after the visit with the doctor who will medically clear me and take care of me in hospital and the RD. All went well. I had a ton of blood work and an EKG. I need to see a cardiologist as well. Three was a hiccup in the EKG, probably nothing. The RD was great  and gave me a lot of good advice. I still can't lose more than 2#. I'm going to do three meals a day and start getting in the lifelong habit of eating healthy. The journey begins. Anticipating surgery end of December. 

Cosmos2112
on 10/17/16 5:06 pm

I'm still hanging in here. I had my psych consult today. Took a T/F test with a zillion questions as well. I think I did well. I am quitting Starbucks. Even though I drink the skinny drinks, it's still too much calories. I understand why. I also gave up dirt Coke. I know why. I know what can happen if I don't follow the instructions to the letter. This is life changing surgery for me. I dont want to die from diabetes. This is so worth it to me. I have another psych follow up visit to get test results. End of this month I have cardiac consult. I'm also maintaining my weight. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views