Drinking Before/After

JB1114
on 7/15/16 11:05 am - Grain Valley, MO

In the beginning (8 years ago) I stopped drinking 30 minutes before eating a meal and didn't drink for 30 minutes afterwards.  I still wait 30 minutes after a meal because it makes sense that the food would be washed out and if I drink too soon after eating a meal I'm in pain.

However, now I drink up until I start to eat a meal.  What do you do?  Is there a reason I should stop drinking 30 minutes before eating? 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

lykapal
on 7/15/16 2:32 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm 8 weeks post-op, so I still follow my surgeon's guidelines to the letter. His rules have recently changed. He used to suggest 30 minutes before and 60 minutes after, but found too many patients struggling to meet their water intake. It's now 30 minutes before, nothing during, and 30 minutes after. 

I read on these forums that some people don't see the need to stop drinking before eating, but I do it anyway because I'm freshly post-op. I will honestly say, I don't always wait a full 30 minutes. I sometimes forget and have a sip (a good habit to have) but still wait at least 15 minutes before eating. 

Also, sometimes if I have eaten something especially dense, I'll wait until I feel the meal has moved beyond my pouch before drinking. Never less than 30 minutes, but never more than an hour. I guess it depends on how I feel.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Price S.
on 7/15/16 4:42 pm - Mills River, NC

EArly out I did 30 min and 1 hr.  These days I do 30 min and 1.5hr.  I don't have a problem getting my liquid in.  I do think it helps me to not get hungry again so quick if I wait to drink.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

JB1114
on 7/15/16 5:57 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I'm wondering if drinking up until I start to eat a meal is why I get full so quickly.  I thought liquids went right thru the pouch but maybe not.  Seems like I should have all the answers after 8 years but I don't.

One thing I need to get back in the habit of is eating protein first.  I tend to eat a bite of each food on my plate. 

~Jo~

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Laura in Texas
on 7/16/16 5:58 am

I don't believe there is any reason to stop drinking 30 minutes before eating. My surgeon says 15. The one thing I have noticed is that when I have waited to eat after I drink, my pouch capacity is less, so when I need to lose a few pounds, I do not drink for 30-60 minutes before I eat. Maybe the liquid going through my system lubricates my pouch so I can eat more if I drink right before eating. Someone else had mentioned this same phenomenon here a while back and for me it does help me eat less if I wait.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

JB1114
on 7/16/16 6:30 am - Grain Valley, MO

First, you look great.  Makes me want to get back on the wagon and get my excess weight off.  That's interesting that stopping drinking 30-60 minutes before eating makes you eat less.  I don't have a problem overeating at mealtime.  I cook for 2 men who like their mac and cheese and potatoes and I sample some of those carby foods when I shouldn't.

~Jo~

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/16 1:53 am

I drink fluids right up to, during and immediately after eating. It makes no difference to me. The delay fluid logic may be appropriate during the early stages for heavy weight loss but doesn't seem to make sense once you have lost most of the weight.

Fluids should mostly pass right through you and help with digestion, an important part of the weight loss and maintenance process. I know everyone is different but the wait on fluids thing doesn't fly in my view.

JB1114
on 7/17/16 6:49 am - Grain Valley, MO

For me, drinking with a meal or right after causes pain down the middle of my chest.  I do drink right up until I take a bite of my meal and just don't see why that is a problem.  

~Jo~

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 543 views