New to this, surgery with young kids?

JJNA2016
on 4/8/16 12:19 pm

Hey everyone! I am a 28 year old mother of 3 (5,2, and 4 months) and last night I went to the first seminar to learn about the 3 procedures the bariatric practice does, and have my first appointment on Monday morning. Kind of nervous about the whole thing, I have hypothyroidism, and norderline diabetic. Was wondering if anyone had any experience parenting with children? My husband works 6 days a week, he is very loving and supportive and when i decided to do this he was entirely on board and tells me not to be nervous, and not worry about the potential risks, I am looking to get the sleeve. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and any information that i should ask the surgical staff would be helpful too!

Thank you all and Good luck in your jouneys!

Price S.
on 4/8/16 8:15 pm - Mills River, NC

Welcome. My only regret was waiting until I was 62 to have wls. Look at thr benefits and issues with each type of surgery  my kids were grown so that wasn't an issue. You will have a lifting restriction for a while with any surgery you will have diet restrictions for a while so you won't be eating exactly what every one else in the family is but that doesn't last long. Glad you have support. That is important 

Let us know if you have questions. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jenna77
on 4/10/16 4:54 pm
VSG on 02/25/15

Hi! I have two small children, too, though not as young as yours. My oldest was 7 when I had the surgery and my youngest was 4. I had the sleeve surgery and think it was the best decision ever! The first week was the hardest for me after surgery but my surgeon sends you home with a drainage tube, that may be something you want to ask about, and once it was gone I felt amazing! You will be sore but walking helps. I do think you will need to have some help with your younger one, but you should be fine. I say go for it. It was the best decision I have ever made for myself and for my children. 

Good luck! 

5'1 Consult: 227 HW: 232 SW:212 CW:131 GW: 120 Pant size start: 18/20 Current: size 6/8

M1: 195 (-17) M2: 184.6 (-10.4) M3: 176.6 (-8) M4: 168.2 (-8.4) M5: 160 (-8.2) M6: 155.4 (-4.6) M7: 145.6 (-9.8) M8: 141 (-4.6) M9: 137 (-4) M10: 135.8 (-1.2) M11: 135 (-.8) M12: 131 (-4) M13: (-0) M14: (-0) M15: (-0) 

Have stopped losing pounds but am losing inches! 

Roz !!!!
on 4/12/16 6:31 am - Butler, PA

Welcome to our LW Board!!!!    Like Price my biggest regret was waiting until I was older to have my WLS.  I wish I had done it when I was younger so I wouldn't have had to sit on the sidelines when my girls were younger.  I am having a blast with all of the Grandkids though.  I have 9 and 7 of them are under the age of 8.

You are also lucky yours are younger because they might not understand wants going on but they also won't be giving you their opinion.  My oldest DD was totally against it and she gave me a hard time and I had to put her in her place.  

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

mini_mom
on 4/12/16 10:40 am

I had mine done this last November, and my kids range from 4 years old to 9 years old.  I healed quickly, and it was the best decision I could have made regarding my mental and physical health.  That being said, you do have very young ones and it will be very tricky not picking up your two year old (I assume you 4 month old doesn't weigh more than 15 lbs?).  I am sure it has been done before, but maybe having someone around to help out those first couple of weeks when you really need to be careful about not lifting heavy would be a good idea.  Good luck!  

Laura_S
on 4/18/16 1:15 pm
VSG on 03/17/15

I had VSG last year when my children were 3 and 6. The lifting restrictions are an issue briefly. However, the weight loss results are well worth it in the long run. In fact, one of my main motivations for weight loss is to be a better role model for my kids. This is related both to nutrition as well as increased physical activity.

Good luck!

Laura

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 488 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 543 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views