Preparing for surgery

Eore751
on 3/31/16 8:16 pm

Hello, this is my first post and I am not exactly sure how this forum works but I would like to know what others recommend as far as how to prepare for RNY surgery. I have gone through the first 5 months of supervised weightloss with my surgeon and have completed all of the required tests. This morning I contacted my insurance to triple check that I am covered by the surgeon I have chosen, the hospital where he performs his surgeries and anethesia and so many other things. I noticed that since I spoke to the insurance worker I have been feeling extremely nervous. I know that I need this surgery and completely trust my surgeon but I am also aware of the drastic change that will soon take place. I have so many questions. For starters I would like to know if any of you started reducing your caloric intake before surgery? what should I start buying to prepare for when I return home from the hospital? should i buy my chewable vitamins now? Honestly I may be working myself up because my surgeon has said that they will walk me through the process but I can be a little OCD and need to prepare myself in advance.

Price S.
on 4/1/16 4:39 am - Mills River, NC

You are well on your way to a new life.  And it is common to be a little nervous about the whole thing.  My Dr's whole package was so well planned out that they really did walk us through everything but I wanted it all up front so I totally understand how you feel. 

My insurance didn't require a 6 month diet but my WLS Dr required 12 training courses that took 6 months.  Then we had 4 weeks of Optifast, 5 shakes a day and one small food meal with additional classes.  Then everyone who had surgery that week had weeks of classes with each food phase change for months.  So we were very well prepared, just on their time frame, not mine.

For now, I would decaf and decarb.  I would also start a daily vit/min and hopefully, your Dr will do a good full set of labs to see if you are lacking in anything now because it is much easier to catch up now than when you are malabsorbing.  I was very low in D3 before surgery.  Stop drinking with meals.  That is hard for a lot of folks so start early.  I would order some protein samples, Syntrax and Unjury both sell sample packets.  Your taste will change after surgery so liking them now doesn't ensure you will like them later but having them on hand for after surgery would be great.

Start walking if you can and get as healthy as possible.  The better shape you are in now, the easier recovery will be.

Ask questions when you have them.  We are here to help.  Because there were folks here for us. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lykapal
on 4/1/16 6:29 am
RNY on 05/16/16

My surgeon has everything (and I mean everything) covered in my handbook. The funny thing is, I noticed that I was missing several chapters of the book towards the end. I mentioned it to my nutritionist and voiced some concerns about not knowing what to do the day after and so on... she just laughed. They intentionally leave off the chapters immediately following surgery because they found that too many people became overwhelmed. I assured her that I was not like most people, and I did need to know everything up front. So, she gave me the rest of my book. I went home and read about every step of the process all the way through year 2. It really is a lot of information to absorb, so maybe you just haven't been given the next little bit of what you need to know? I'd talk to the team about it, if I were you. I'm sure they'll tell you anything you need to know to be prepared. 

(Oh, I'm a lot more than a little OCD, I feel ya!)

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Eore751
on 4/1/16 7:33 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I have started with the vitamins and will continue to go for walks and be more active. My surgeon did order lab work and I am also vitamin D deficient so I started on a mega dose once a week for 12 weeks. I appreciate your support 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 488 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 543 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views