Bypass or Sleeve - HELP, deciding is driving me crazy!!!!

tvida42
on 1/26/16 7:04 am

Hi folks,

I'm going to my evaluation with the team on Monday, and I'm still debating whether or not I want to have the Bypass or the Sleeve. I'm 220, 100lbs to lose to my bottom healthy weight. 

I'm strongly considering the Sleeve because of the lower surgery time, less nutritional side effects, etc etc. But most important, I'd like to be able to eat a piece of xmas toffee or a tiny slice of my daughter's birthday cake. I want to be as set apart from my family as little as possible, and I want to be able to model a healthy eating regime focused on protein, veggies, and fruits, and treats in moderation. That's very important to me. I also want a slower weight loss because I hate stretched skin.

But I'm wondering if the malabsorptive benefits of the Bypass would be better for long-term maintenance. I know my eating habits determine long-term success, but every little bit helps, you know?

So for those of you who went through this, what made you choose one over the other? Any thoughts to share?

Roz !!!!
on 1/26/16 9:20 am - Butler, PA

Since I have had the bypass of course I would vote for that one.  You can eat around any surgery so nothing is a sure thing.  I guess it depends on your eating habits and what caused you to gain weight to begin with.

I LOVE SWEETS AND CARBS and I still fight that battle every single day!!  I need my RNY to keep me under control and at 7+ years out my tool is still working and I feel very thankful.  On Maintenance I am able  to eat sweets and usually don't have a problem but my tool keeps me from going for that extra bite or piece.

I've never wondered over to the Sleeve boards but I'd check it out to see how many (long term) successful posters there are.  We have some sleevers who stop in every once in awhile but I can't think of  any who are on Maintenance that still post.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Price S.
on 1/26/16 11:44 am - Mills River, NC

I'm 5 yrs out from RNY.  When I had my surgery, the sleeve wasn't a choice of my insurance company.  So it was RNY or band and I definitely didn't want a band.

My Dr group had everyone on the same plan with no difference between surgeries.  In the beginning with any of them, you eat so little the protein and vits/mins are important for everyone.  Yes, DS and RNY have to stay on top of the vits/mins but we all should anyway.  It has been no issue for those of us who are here all the time. 

Skin is more a factor of age, where you carry your weight and weight history than how rapidly you lose.  I had no loose skin when I lost 80lbs in the 80's, do now but I was 62 when I had surgery.

I won't kid you, maintenance is hard no matter what surgery.  When you lose your weight, your total calories needed to support you will be something in the range of 1200.  That is a diet in anyone's book.  Exercise will help but you will just be able to eat a whole lot less than you think and maintain.  Malabsorption does help in the beginning and for about the first 18 months.  After that, I don't know that it makes much difference.  However, jus****ching folks come and go here for the last 6 yrs, I think the RNY and DS folks keep more of their weight off long term.  That certainly isn't anything but my thoughts but it does seem like more RNY reach goal and stay close to it than the sleevers do.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Bonroxie19
on 1/26/16 9:21 pm

Hi there,

I had RNY, close in starting weight i was 230.  Now 11 months out and have lost 110 pounds.  There is nothing you can do for the skin, but start working out now.  I worked out with weight training and running at least a year before surgery and honestly other then around the stomach the loss skin is not too bad.  I am going to be 50 this year.  Remember empty skin is much better then fat filled skin.  The one big change that i am still working on is the daily vitamins.  Since with RNY we do not absorb as well as with the sleeve the vitamins become a life time committment.  Only 30% of all RNY people have any issues with eating sweets.  Eating sweets is up to the person not just the surgery.  I would think sweets in a small amount after you reach goal is a personal choice.  I am super happy with my choice of surgery and would do it again in a heart beat.

Which ever you chose, follow the simple rules and you will be at goal before you know it.

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

italianspice
on 1/27/16 3:29 am - Eastlake, OH

RNY here also.

I chose this because of the benefit of putting my type 2 diabetes in remission. I am so blessed that after five and a half years, my  glucose numbers are great!

Maintenance is tough. 

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

lerkhart
on 1/27/16 3:36 pm

RNY here too.  My insurance would only pay for Lapband or RNY when I had mine in 2009.  I went with RNY because of Type 2 diabetes.  Haven't taken any medicine for that since the day before surgery.  My A1C is in range still.

Like the others have said, you can out eat any surgery.  I can eat sweets and carbs.  Now if I eat too much at one time I will get sick but I can have a piece of cake - not a good choice but possible.  I can tell you the longer you stay away from these foods the better off you will be.  Don't test it. 

Maintenance is really hard it is an every day decision. 

With RNY you have more vitamins, calcium and things you need to take according to your lab results.  You do need to do your follow ups to make sure all your labs are ok. 

Good luck with your decision.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Linda B.
on 1/31/16 5:40 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Both my husband and I have sleeves. He lost 100 pounds, but had to purposely gain 10 back because he was beginning to look sick. I lost 85. We are both very happy with our choice. Both of us were not interested in the intestinal re-routing. Now, most of the RNY people in this forum are quite successful, but in real life, we have had several friends with RNY who have regained all or most of their weight after about the 3-4 year mark. One who hasn't now appears to have a cross addiction to alcohol. In the cases of the friend *****gained so much, they didn't follow the rules or thought that the surgery was the only thing they needed.

You can be successful with whatever you choose if you follow the rules and make the most of your lifestyle change. My husband is 4 years out, and I am 3, we still don't drink with meals, eat protein first, and take our vitamins. We have found physical activities that we enjoy as well.

We did have some difficulty when we were in the process of moving to a new state. We were staying with our son in a tiny studio apartment. That made cooking really hard. Now that we are almost settled in our new home, the regain we had (15 pounds for him, 7 for me) is beginning to come off. Faster for him of course.

I would suggest that you check out both the RNY forum, and the VSG forum and ask questions. You don't have to make your decision by tomorrow. Take your time and talk with people who have had each. Almost everyone here is more than willing to share and help guide you. Your surgeon is also a good source, but when you are making your choice please remember that you and you alone need to pick one that you can live with long term. Best wishes as you make that decision.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 488 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 543 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views