Question about labs

italianspice
on 1/24/16 6:20 am - Eastlake, OH

Good morning LW's,

Just needing to know if I have my thinking straight, finally got back to my bariatrician to help with regain and had my 5 years labs done late.

My PTH has gone up to 56 from 32,

Do I increase my vit D and my calcium? D level was 49.9, calcium was 8.7.

Been having a tough time getting my vites in on the days I work, so at least 2 or three days a week I might get one batch in that day. Really have improved since I saw my labs. Not perfect but atleast 75% better.

Funny, my NUT, didnt bat an eyelash when I reviewed my supplements, but the Doc, was worried about me taking 50,000 units of d weekly and 10,000 u the rest of the week!

Also, iron levels are ok but ferritin down to 16. Been taking 60mg of carbonyl iron daily with C, should I increase it to 120?

All the rest of my labs were good. Even though I had been off the wagon and struggling with regain, my HgA1c was the lowest since surgery 5! So grateful

Thanks, 

Maria

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

MajorMom
on 1/24/16 9:35 am - VA

I think your instinct is correct. You want the D labs to be between 80 and 100, so I would keep taking what you're taking and make sure it's the dry version and not in oil. How much calcium citrate are you taking or supposed to take? You want that lab to be around 9.2. If you retest in 3 months know that PTH may lag behind but you want that lab to come in around 26.
Ferritin is getting to low. You want that level to be up above 100 or so. You might want to take 120 to 300mg a day of the carbonyl or keep taking 60mg and add a couple or 3 of Proferrin ES tablets. The combo has helped keep my iron markers in great shape. Retest the iron in 3 months to see if the new amount is helping you improve or just maintain. You might be able to get a prescription for Proferrin Forte that might help with the expense. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

italianspice
on 1/24/16 10:01 am - Eastlake, OH

Thanks Gina. You are a great resource!

I use the bio tech vit d 50,000 and the dry form from solgar 5,000 unit capsules 2 a day except bio tech days

I use calcium citrate, lately its been the walgreens brand, I recommended to take 4 tabs a day. Since I have been missing some doses at work, I usually take 6 tabs a day when I am home.

Forgot about the Proferrin Es, need to crack those in half before taking? I wanted a prescription for the ferrogel forte caps I took when I was anemic, but this doc said no. Maybe I should hit up my primary care doc.

~Maria

MajorMom
on 1/24/16 10:22 am - VA

Yeah, you want to break the Proferrin in half to help absorption. I would definitely talk to your PCP, sounds like your other doc might not be open to learning over-the-counter vitamin nutrition.

Vitalady's recommendation for calcium for RNY is 1260mg a day. That would be in no more than 600mg per dose, or 2 of her vitamin citrate only capsules each time. Her capsules are elemental calcium citrate. 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

italianspice
on 1/24/16 11:23 am - Eastlake, OH

I havent tried her calcium citrate. I will need to order more tender iron soon, maybe I will order her calcium too.

Thanks Gina you're an angel!

Price S.
on 1/24/16 12:19 pm - Mills River, NC

I need to get my labs done this week for my 5 yr appointment in early Feb.  Thanks you and Gina for the info.  I had switched to D softcaps because I couldn't find the dry D locally.  My iron has aways been fine.  Still do 2 multis and lots of calcium.  We'll see how it all test.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

italianspice
on 1/24/16 1:30 pm - Eastlake, OH

If I ever go through menopause, at fifty still dealing with with it, will my iron need go down ?

~Maria

Price S.
on 1/25/16 6:55 am - Mills River, NC

I had a hysterectomy years and years ago (early 90's) and have never had to take iron or worry about it.  I do eat lots of iron rich food but have never taken iron even with RNY.  so maybe you won't have to deal with it forever.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

hollykim
on 1/25/16 1:39 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I had a total hysterectomy years before WLS,and last year about this time my hemoglobin,hematocrit and ferritin got so low,while taking supplements,that I had to take a blood transfusion and two courses of iron infusions. 

So,yes,even after menopause ,if you malabsorb,like I do,you can still need iron.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 488 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 543 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views