Recap of the 5 day pouch test

Price S.
on 1/16/16 1:56 pm, edited 1/17/16 4:37 am - Mills River, NC

After hitting a high on Sunday of 137, I knew something had to happen.  I had heard of the 5 day pouch test before and looked up a bunch of info on it.  It looked doable and I felt like I had to do something to get back on track. 

Here is the website  http://5daypouchtest.com/

So Monday, after a trip to the grocery to get a few things I needed, I started.

Day 1 is liquids, protein drinks basically but the developer also includes soup in that.  The soup was a lifesaver.  I made the sausage pumpkin soup but added a box of frozen winter squash also for more fiber.  It was tasty and really helped me feel like I wasn't just drinking.

Day 2 is liquids too.  I had more soup that day and added some cheese to it.

Day 3 is soft protein.  Eggbeaters with cheese was a great breakfast and help me over until lunch.  Then more soup.  good thing I like soup.  Supper was a burger patty.  I think that actually was suppose to be under day 4 but I had to cook for DH and it worked. 

Day 4 firm protein.  Eggbeaters for breakfast, burger patty for lunch, tenderized pork for supper. 

Day 5 firm protein.  Eggbeaters for breakfast, left over pork for lunch, country rib/very small sweet potato for supper. 

I may have gotten some of that wrong but I did list what I was eating on Miles and Menus each day so if anyone wants to they can go back to those.

What did I learn?  My pouch still works.  4 oz of dense protein DOES fill me up and last pretty long.  1C of softer protein, like eggs or soup, really is enough.  I had been eating 1.5 to 2c which I know now I really don't need.  I still did my protein drinks which is in her plan.  I do 1.5scoops with my protein coffee, 1/2 scoop before lunch and mid afternoon, 1 scoop at night.  Even with those, I still get hungry around 4 but can do a very small protein based snack, like 1 oz of something, and make it until supper.

The reward:  new confidence that I can get back to the 120s, around 124-5.  I started on Sunday last week at 137, today was 133.  I know I won't keep losing like that but a pound a week would be fine with me.  I have thigh gap again.  I feel skinnier even though I know 4 pounds doesn't make me skinny again.  I have a new resolve to get it done!!

Thanks everyone who sent me the mental support to do this.  It was totally worth it!

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 1/16/16 2:51 pm

Way to go Price!  I'm so glad you were able to stick with it.  I did good week before but not so good this week.  My night time eating gets to me.  I can stay busy all day and do really good but at night time when I am just sitting look out!

I know when I ate the things I was suppose to and dropped the carbs off I really got full fast and couldn't eat nearly what I was eating.

Continued good luck!

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
mlleelise
on 1/16/16 5:40 pm
DS on 02/13/12

Since Dsers also have a pouch, would this 5 day plan work for us?  I'd really like to know...and wondered if there is a place to go to get a shopping list for the 5 day plan.  I seriously need to reboot!

Thanks

Price S.
on 1/17/16 4:37 am - Mills River, NC

http://5daypouchtest.com/

I would assume if your first 5 phases are like an RNY first phases, it would be fine for you.  You may need to add more fat because I know you guys have a continuing issues with fat absorption. 

There isn't a grocery list per say on this website but there is what you should be eating each day.  You can make your own from that.  I had basically everything, just needed a can of pumpkin and sausage for the soup. 

It was really, really worth it, physically and mentally, for me.  Good luck if you decide to try it.  Let us know how it works for a DS

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

MajorMom
on 1/17/16 3:10 am - VA

Good job, Price!   

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Sharon H.
on 1/18/16 8:27 am

Do you count your protein drinks towards your total calorie counts or do you just have as many as you need throughout the day?

Price S.
on 1/18/16 8:41 am - Mills River, NC

I didn't count anything.  She doesn't have any calorie amounts in the plan.  She does say, use protein drinks as needed, which I did.

Sharon H.
on 1/18/16 8:43 am

I might try this then.  I'm also trying to find a protein drink that is rich, creamy and sticks with me...any suggestions?

Price S.
on 1/18/16 9:11 am - Mills River, NC

I only use Syntrax.  The shakes I make with chocolate at night, I use cashew milk and that makes it pretty creamy.  I use water to make my "creamer" for my decaf (mint cookie and vanilla) and it is creamy but that is because it is 1.5scoop protein in about 2/3c water.

One of the reasons I like the Syntrax Nectars is that they are fruit favored and not thick, lol.  I do use the others too but not except in those cir****tances.

I can't tolerate any pre-mix.  they all taste really yucky to me but some folks love them.

Sharon H.
on 1/18/16 9:18 am

I hate them too :-). I was using optimum performance gold standard but one scoop in a cup of almond milk wasnt really satisfying.  I switched to the nectars today.  I have a while box full of samples.  They seem to be doing the job so far. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 488 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 543 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views