Question about carbs and maintenance

caliannie
on 1/11/16 10:41 am - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I'm 9months post open (RNY) and had the same question. Bread pasta crackers were all trigger foods for me. Let me rephrase that, the ARE trigger foods for me. I have had a few saltines since surgery and Goldfish crackers but.each time I saw a stall on the scale and experienced mild dumping. I asked my nutritionist about carbs and she said stick to whole grains only occasionally and only after I reach goal. Since I know they are triggers for me I don't think I'm going to add them back in anytime soon.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

lerkhart
on 1/11/16 10:44 am

You got great advice.  Here's mine - stay away from bad carbs and junk food!!  They will creep back into your life and back onto your body.

If you had a problem with them prior to surgery, I bet you will have a problem with them later too if you let them back into your diet.  I have and wish I had never eaten one..

Good luck!

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
(deactivated member)
on 1/12/16 6:37 pm

I guess everyone is different but I start every morning with a banana, then a protein fruit smoothie with a banana and other fruits, and egg cheese and sausage on a roll. I may also add a cup of fruit that I eat throughout the morning.

This is my main meal for the day and I also eat carbs later in the day in order to maintain my weight. As long as you are not trying to lose, carbs should be ok in moderation. 

The only real downfall from carbs for me is gas, which does get worth as I add more carbs.

vicwytch
on 1/13/16 3:53 pm
RNY on 12/11/15

Interesting that you are using some carbs for maintenance. Do you find you lose if you leave them out? I don't think I'm anywhere near being able to even try crackers, etc., so I'm curious about what people are doing. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victorria (VicWytch)

SW: 223 CW: 149  GW: 130

RnY Surgery date: December 11, 2015

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/16 9:11 pm

Right now I have to eat carbs to maintain my weight. I lost more than I expected (290 down to 137). Most of the weight loss happened over 9 to 10 months, and I've been trying to stabilize since. 

I eat about 2,200 calories a day including a normal load of carbs - about 150 to 300 grams.

At 14 months, I'm back up from my low by about 5lbs. but still struggling to prevent further weight loss.

Roz !!!!
on 1/14/16 10:34 am - Butler, PA

How far out from surgery are you? Are you low on the normal BMI chart?

My losing stage lasted about 2 years.  I started maintenance too soon because in my opinion (and others) I was too thin.  That is my first regret!  If you are still in the "honeymoon" period you won't gain as fast on carbs but believe me when your body decides it's in Maintenance mode you WILL gain weight. When you start gaining it's really hard to go back and stop cutting those carbs.  You will feel like you are dieting all over again and the further out you go the faster you will gain.  Including carbs in my meals is my 2nd regret! 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Tracy D.
on 1/14/16 12:03 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Toast, bananas, crackers -- all things guaranteed to shoot my blood sugar up through the roof (I'm Type 2 diabetic and off all medication now, which does not mean I'm cured). And when your blood sugar skyrockets from eating any food - even healthy stuff - it automatically signals the liver to stores those calories as FAT! 

You can eat 1200 calories or less a day but if you're eating white carbs and high sugar fruit you will end up with more body fat than if you didn't eat that stuff.

I think your NUT is going by a textbook and hasn't had a lot of real-life experience with bariatric post-ops, people who are insulin resistant or carb-sensitive (which a lot of us are).  Steer clear of the white stuff, the wheat products and the high sugar fruit and you will be better off for it in maintenance.  

(And don't touch it in weight-loss mode!)  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

vicwytch
on 1/25/16 1:32 pm
RNY on 12/11/15

Good advice, Tracy. Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victorria (VicWytch)

SW: 223 CW: 149  GW: 130

RnY Surgery date: December 11, 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 488 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 543 views
Still kickin'...