RMR Test and Body Fat Analysis - Victory!

J Connel
on 12/17/15 4:03 am
VSG on 04/13/15

Yesterday I visited my surgeon's office and they performed two tests - RMR and Body Fat Analysis.  So in a nutshell, the RMR (resting metabolic rate) is the number of calories your body burns each day with no activity and makes up 65-75% of your total metabolism.  By understanding your RMR you can determine the best caloric budget to help with weight loss and maintenance.  The test was called WatchWT MedGem and consisted of me breathing (after fasting for at least 4 hours) into a tube while my nose was plugged (only mouth breathing measured) for 10 minutes.  My RMR came in at 1090 calories.  This budget does not include additional calories that I would naturally burn by exercising, taking short walks, riding a bike, yoga, etc.  It is my burn rate should I sit on the couch all day and do nothing.  Why is this helpful?  It's helpful because we need to have a true picture as to what our bodies are burning.  No online tool can really pinpoint that based on height/weight only.  After figuring in my activity and current lifestyle, I know that once I get to maintenance, I'll have to likely stay between 1200-1300 calories per day to avoid a loss or gain.  See what I mean?  Helpful information.

The best part though of this entire visit was getting the body fat analysis completed with calipers and all.  Nobody has really given me a goal weight, so I've just always went with the BMI Charts to determine my goal weight.  I realize those charts are covering the masses and not individualized but with the lack of a real goal by a medical professional, the non-overweight BMI became my goal.  Well today I can tell you my goal has changed - and here's why.

As of today my BMI according to the charts sits around 26.1 (under 24.9 is non-overweight).  Here I am in a SIZE 4 (and have 2 pair of size 2 that fit me) and yet I'm still overweight?  and overweight by like 10 lbs?What?  That's what the charts say anyway.  Well when I had my own individual results analyzed by calipers and by a professional vs. just entering in numbers in an online tool, I'm happy to report that my body fat percentage is 25.2% = LEANER THAN AVERAGE.  Now this my friends is what I'd expect to see when wearing a size 2-4 clothing!  See what I mean?  The BMI chart isn't the only way to measure health.  The scale isn't the only way to measure health.  The calipers and RMR test are not the only way to measure health.  You have to look at a combo of all these tools and then talk with professionals to determine YOUR health.  You have to look in the mirror too and see where you feel your best.  So what does that mean to my goal? Well first it means that each time I talked to my Mom on the phone today I said, "Hello...this is your leaner than average daughter...."  Goal accomplished there and I'm pretty sure she has enjoyed the excitement and humor of it all.  BUT!  It also means a very personalized conversation with my medical team in coming up with a goal weight for me that is based on ME, not charts, not one test, but based on valid scientific information and my own body.  So instead of 130, they have given me a goal weight of 145.  They said if I wanted "wiggle room" and I do, they would advise me to really not go any lower than 140.  So my new goal?  140 lbs.

So the stress about the BMI number and how low did I really need to be to hit that is getting tossed out the window.  I'm done exhausting energy on a goal meant for the masses.  I'm focused on this girl right here and she's SO close to goal.  Can I get a hell yeah?  :)

My stats to date:

• Start Weight: 283.2
  • 10/1-4/13:  Supervised Weight Loss Phase + Pre-Op:  -60 lbs
  • Total Post-Op Weight Loss (4/13-present):  -74.6 (and counting)
  • Total weight loss:  -135.8 lbs
  • Current Weight:  147.2 lbs
  • Goal Weight:  140.0 lbs (7.2 lbs left to go!)

NSVs:

• These tests I mentioned above were huge NSVs for me.  My insurance didn't cover these tests, but for $55.00 it was worth the investment for peace of mind.  I'd suggest others consider it - especially if you are a numbers gal like I am.
  • Food Find!  I am in love with this Organic Edamame Spaghetti I purchased at Costco.  I think it was like $6 for a 2 lb box and boy is it delicious.  I can only eat 1 oz of it at a time, but a normal serving is 2 oz and has 200 calories, 10 net carbs and 24 gms of protein, I'm digging it.  It's got such a neat texture just like pasta (and not as mushy as spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles can be).  It it really good with just some parm cheese sprinkled on and some salt/pepper but I can't wait to try it with spaghetti sauce too.  I could only eat a 1 oz serving so the calories and macros are cut in half for me when I eat it, but well worth it.  I miss pasta - but not anymore! And in case you are wondering, my 9 year old pasta loving boy tried it and agreed it was great - so if he likes it, you might like it!  

Janell

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

Price S.
on 12/17/15 4:38 am - Mills River, NC

Hurray for you    That is all wonderful news.  I totally agree with the body scan stuff because I am right there with you.  My gym and WLS Dr both have body scan equipment and although I am overweight according to the scale and BMI, I am under fat according to the body scan.  that isn't to say that right now, I don't have some # to lose.  But overall, the scale and BMI charts just don't work for all of us. 

No Cosco around here but I may have to see if I can find the spaghetti somewhere.  Sounds yummy.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 488 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 543 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views