It's been awhile and - The "After" Myth

J Connel
on 12/9/15 9:35 am
VSG on 04/13/15

First let me start by saying that I feel bad I don't post as often.  I'm not sure why I don't - I guess I just feel like I'm too busy living life that I don't always take the time to be here as I should.  I do come every week and read posts, but rarely reply.  I'm really trying to get better here.  Anyway...

First, I hope each of you had a very successful and happy Thanksgiving.  My house was full of great food and, more importantly, great laughs.

I happened upon a WordPress blog where there was a post that spoke to me.  Seriously it was like she was reading my mind.  I wanted to share the post with this group and hope Lisa doesn't mind.  If you even Google "After the Myth" you will see this blog post of hers has even been published outside of WordPress.  It's a fantastic article that sums up a lot of my recent feelings.  I really encourage each of you to read it.  Here's the link to the specific post that I totally fell in love with:  The "After" Myth

My absolute FAVORITE part about the article is the title of my blog post - doesn't she deserve to "be"?  And while I was struggling a few weeks ago about how the "after" scares me, it helped to read that article and to just remember there is no After - there is just today, the "during".  To quote my absolute favorite Broadway musical, "Rent" - No Day but Today!

My stats to date:

• Start Weight: 283.2
  • 10/1-4/13:  Supervised Weight Loss Phase + Pre-Op:  -60 lbs
  • Total Post-Op Weight Loss (4/13-present):  -73.6 (and counting)
  • Total weight loss:  -133.4 lbs
  • Current Weight:  149.6 lbs
  • Goal Weight:  130.0 lbs (19.6 lbs left to go!)

NSVs:

• I made it through Thanksgiving without feeling "deprived" or sad that I couldn't eat more or indulge as I would have in the past.  I enjoyed every bite I did take. I enjoyed the conversation and the giggles.  It was the best.
  • I was asked to speak again at my surgeon's informational session today.  I always feel a little strange speaking since I haven't hit my own personal goal weight, but I know talking to someone who has been through the surgery was important to me and my planning.  I want to pay that forward.
  • I've spent the past week or so baking like a wild woman preparing for my annual cookie exchange party that I have every year.  Again, I feel empowered because not only did I not taste any of my cookies (I already know from years of experience they are fantastic) but I didn't even think about eating one.  Could I have had one?  SURE.  Nothing was preventing it physically.  I just wanted to save that limited stomach space for food my body needs, not treats.  It's mind-blowing when you realize you are making those choices.  Who would have thought?  What a great tool and just shows the difference when you are lucky enough to have it helping you.

Here's to seeing less of me next week!

Janell

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

Price S.
on 12/9/15 12:22 pm - Mills River, NC

Great post!!! and loved the blog.  I try to tell folks who are rushing to goal, nothing changes once you get there.  It isn't a magical place, it just means you keep on keeping on.  When folks comment on how great it is that I have stayed small I always say it is a daily battle.  Surgery is on your tummy, not your head.  Some folks seem to do fine with that and have no problem keeping the weight off but the reality is, for most of us, it is a daily battle and a conscious daily choice to exercise, eat healthy and stay healthy.  I do not regret surgery for a minute and couldn't be where I am today without it but it isn't the magic bullet we all would like for it to be.  Some surgeons do a great job (and some don't) preparing us for surgery.  Not many prepare us for the rest of our lives.  That is why I am here everyday.  And will be. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

J Connel
on 12/9/15 4:29 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I thought that post was amazing.  I was struggling with not losing weight one week and just happened upon that and it made me think differently.  I'm glad I found it when I did.  It's true there is only the "during" and enjoy each phase along the way.  It's not like something magical happens and the weight just stays gone.  :)

I agree that coming here often is helpful for me.  I'm more of a lurker nowadays mostly because I don't feel like a vet and I'm not a newbie, but coming here helps for sure.  I also love blogging myself and spend my first few minutes in the morning on WordPress checking in with those folks even though I only post myself once a week.

Thanks Price!

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/13/15 8:00 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Thanks-this article and your post are right on.  I think of it as "Then" and "Now," rather than "Before" and "After."  The Now keeps me focused and moving forward, rather than regaining as I did on many conventional diets.

Also, having a goal of "Having a healthy relationship with food and my body," has helped me keep things in a somewhat balanced perspective. I heard this goal from a doctor and adopted it.

Best of luck for continued success!

Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 488 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 543 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views