x-post 1/2 marathon in San Diego today

Linda B.
on 6/2/13 4:32 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Today I participated in the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon in San Diego. Mike B. (DH) also ran it and was able to PR with a finishing time of 1:51. I have no idea how long it took me, I ran a little, but walked most of it. There were a few times I wanted to give up, but before the race started, I saw a race number with this quote "death before DNF" so when it got hard, I just kept telling myself "death before DNF" and just kept going.

There were many funny race number quotes and t-shirts to read, and some cute signs too. Some of the more memorable ones, PR or ER, my wife punked me, I thought they said rum, they told me it was a 5K, and run faster, zombies are chasing you, and they don't like fast food. The cheering crowd was helpful. The people of San Diego were great, I saw people out in their yards cheering us on and some were handing ou****er. People in cars were honking and cheering.

While Mike really loves running, and is even considering a full marathon, running really isn't for me. I probably won't do this again. But, 8 months ago this would not have even been possible. So, even though running isn't my sport of choice, this was in a sense, a victory lap for me.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Price S.
on 6/2/13 9:55 pm - Mills River, NC

Wow, I am impressed.  My rule is to finish is to win.  And I never did more than 5k, LOL.  I loved running but it didn't love me.  My hips broke down and I had to stop.  But know you know you can do it and you just need to find the exercise you really love.  For me know it is muscle pump which is a weight class to music, with lots of reps and relatively light weights.  Really tough but I really enjoy it.  Of course I have my ponies but I consider that part of life, not really exercise. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jody ***
on 6/3/13 1:39 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Congratulations on getting out there and doing it!  That is an accomplishment in itself.

I've done a few 5K's, but it was a long time ago.  I'm not even ready now to think about it.  It has been in my goals... but I haven't done it.  I need to start training again now my foot is feeling better.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

katiekat412
on 6/3/13 2:19 am
How incredibly impressive! I got way fit post op and I think 1/2 marathon would have pushed my limits. Running is the devil!
Congrats on pushing through your comfort zone and achieving something you can always be proud of!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

lerkhart
on 6/3/13 2:29 am

WOW - congratulations.  It is great that you finished.  I have done several 5K's and a couple of 10K's but never a 1/2 or full.  I think you have have to enjoy it to continue doing it.  I love it and am working on getting back at it seriously..

Finding something that you like to do helps you stick with it.

Great job!!

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views