So excited to find this group! My surgery is 12/13 and I need feedback!

southernlady5464
on 11/8/12 4:18 am
On November 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM Pacific Time, 6penningtons wrote:

There are definitely good and bad things about the internet. The good is there is a lot of information out there, the bad is that it is hard to determine which info is legitimate.  Anytime you are talking about a surgery of this type, there are bound to be "horror" stories.  I have seen conflicting information about every type of surgery out there.  I guess each person has to do their own research and then decide for themselves which is best for them...and then quit reading threads because all it does is make you question your decision!   :)

I talked to my surgeon today about possibly doing the DS, and he advised against it simply because I have a lower BMI. He suggested either the sleeve or MGB.  The advantage of the MGB is the absorption issue. Obviously after the "honeymoon" is over that is null and void, but I am hoping that it will help with my initial weight loss.

I talked to my surgeon today about possibly doing the DS, and he advised against it simply because I have a lower BMI. He suggested either the sleeve or MGB

The reason he advised against it is he doesn't do it.

Make an appt with Dr. Kemmeter and ask him. He's on the vetted surgeon list on DSFacts.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

6penningtons
on 11/8/12 4:22 am - MO
DS on 12/12/12

In regards to MGB safety, my husband is an ICU RN, and anesthesiologisst and relies a lot on medical journals.  Here is a link to one that we have read in regard to MGB: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1357700/

Age: 34; Ht: 5'2; High Wt: 190; Goal Wt: 120; DS by Dr. Lopez 12/12/12

southernlady5464
on 11/8/12 4:30 am

As to the MGB, why not ask the people actually living with it here.

As with all surgeries, the more information you gather, the better. While the internet has problems with reliability, if enough people on sites like this are saying the same thing, it should be really looked at. ALL WLS have problems, you just have to decide which ones you can live with.

I decided that since I could not live without NSAIDS, having a surgery that did not allow me to take them was contraindicated.

Another area to check is the Regrets and Revision boards here on OH.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

6penningtons
on 11/8/12 4:38 am - MO
DS on 12/12/12

Thank you for all your suggestions, and yes I will go check that one out.  Also, not trying to be argumentative, but my surgeon does perform the DS, and said that if I chose the VGS and was unhappy with my weight loss, I would still have the option of doing DS at a later time. 

Age: 34; Ht: 5'2; High Wt: 190; Goal Wt: 120; DS by Dr. Lopez 12/12/12

MajorMom
on 11/8/12 5:03 am - VA
Please, please continue to research. When I read your first post mgb didn't translate in my feeble brain. The DS and the VSG are good options for us LWs. As MacMadam said, mgb is not done here so a doc here won't know how to treat you if something goes wrong. Do take a look at the surgeons on dsfacts they are totally reputable.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lerkhart
on 11/8/12 9:14 am

Welcome to the LW Board.  Please keep us updated on your progress.

Good luck.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Sandra C.
on 11/8/12 10:29 am - Kalamazoo, MI

Hello, and welcome!!! 

The D.S. is for light weights too, with lower than 50 BMI's  !!!

I'm a D.S. light weight,  at 5' 3" started surgery at 235lbs, lost my 135 lbs, from my highest of 255 within 8 months reaching my goal, easily maintaining without trying hard for 6 months within 3 lbs up or down from my goal of 120. I did notice the scale drifting down to 117, but I dont want to go any lower, saving 7 lbs for plastics skin removal, and adding 2 lbs for breast agumentation. I'm happy as can be with my D.S. one year and 1/2 from surgery. At the start, I was looking into a VSG, or a RNY in town, when I attended Dr Kemmeters orientation lecture in the neighboring city of Grand Rapids, Mi. I really should have done more research before signing up for the D.S., but everything Dr. K said  about the D.S.made the most sense for my needs and goals. The key factors are keeping your functioning pylorus for digesting normal food. I can eat just about everything I did pre D.S., but it goes through me fast, no time to be completely absorbed. My ability to eat a large plate of food is a thing of the past. I have no desire to eat that much, and am quite satisfied with smaller portions. Malabsorbtion is a positive thing, helps me maintain my loss. Everyone who knows me, has a hard time recognizing me, and has a jealous look in their eyes, wishing they had the D.S. too. They say I look so thin healthy, and happy. They are correct, I am all of those things and more.

Choosing a surgeon: First of all get second  third, and fourth opinions and more before signing up with any surgeon. Go meet them at their lectures. You will learn a lot about all the surgeries. Picture yourself living your life with each of them. The only one that made sense for me was the D.S. I liked its ability to help me reach my goal, and maintain better than any of the others, with least chance of regain. The high protein list of foods was the diet I used most of my life, healthy foods, with vegies, fruit, grains, most like the Atkins Diet. I'm never hungry, I can always eat as much as I want when ever I want, if it is protein based first, then the other foods fill in. I have 3 double protein shakes a day to assure my protein levels are met every day. I could choose food for all my protein, but I like the portability of protein shakes, when I am on the run. Malabsorption is the best attribute  of the D.S compared to all the surgeries. Without it, I would have regained lots of lbs.guaranteed. The healthy food choices will insure a life of good nutrition, along with vitamins and supplements  monitored with labs from your doctor. The major weight loss has enabled me to eliminate arthritic hip and knee pain, allowing me to exercise and walk pain free. My GERD has improved, and my lifestyle is now "5 stars".

***** If any surgeon guides you away from a type of surgery, he is not telling you the truth.  As in any big business, there is a lot of manipulation. Its more cost effective for a surgeon to do many shorter surgeries in a day rather than one big D.S. There are 50 or more capable D.S. surgeons in the country. It also takes a strong intelligent personality to handle the balancing of diet, supplements, vitamins, and knowledge to educate your other doctors about the D.S. and your needs. We all research constantly, reading other D.S'ers experiences handling the fine points of the D.S. life, sharing, and helping each other.

Group Support/Team Approach:   As an example, Dr Kemmeters team is made up of several professionally trained bariatric experts- Behaviorists, bariatricians/nutritionists, sports physiologists, on site store packed with supplements and approved food from pre surgery and beyond, to add to your fresh foods. The physician assistants are capable of handling your pre and post care, updating your labs, and coordinating information to the surgeon. every time I have called the nurses, or e-mailed questions, they have responded quickly with important information to get me back on track. Ask your future surgeons about their pre and post surgery care. I guarantee this is very necessary for your success with the weight loss, and maintaining your health. I would never go to a surgeon out of the country, leaving me without a safety net, support system to help me stay healthy, and alive !!!  My PCP is a super internist, but she is the first to admit she knows nothing about the D.S. She listens to me, and my needs, especially about labs, tests, and keeping on top of my health. Health can go down hill quickly without monitoring a long list of blood work regularly, this goes for any bariatric surgery.

I have recommended Dr Kemmeter to many from all over the country, and Canada. He has a handle on the needs of each and every patient, coordinating their care like a conductor of the orchestra. Having surgery out of the country will leave you without a medical team who takes an interest in you from the moment you come to their lecture. Think about it, lots before you sign up for Mexico. You wont be saving money having foreign surgery if you need internal repairs, emergency care, or loss of protein & vitamins without close supervision, when you return to the states. Its very risky business you are considering, risking your health, with ill effects lasting the rest of your life, possibly shortening your life. Be smart, do lots of research into US talented surgeons, travel to them, as many have done, successfully. I have traveled for Dr.Kemmeter, and now I am interviewing many plastic surgeons to help me recover my youthful shape post surgical weight loss. I am interviewing 6. I have 2 to go. My bariatric experiences have taught me so much about looking for the right match for the surgery and the surgeon.

If you want to read more of my history, and D.S. experiences, look at Dr.Kemmeter's site, Grand Health Partners.com "Patient Stories" Sandra Copely .

Think twice, cut once. Adding the D.S. on to any other surgery, or revision is never as successful  reaching or maintaining goal weight, as a virgin D.S. The body is very good at holding on to weight if it senses starvation. Revisions have lots more trouble losing as quickly as virgins, risking never reaching your goal. This is according to Dr. Kemmeter. I remember his initial lecture addressing this. It was a leap of faith for me, choosing the D.S. since there was no other surgery I wanted to live with. The VSG came close, but I have friends who have to measure food, and feel continually on a controlled diet. I never have this feeling. i have lots of good healthy food, and lots of treats. I am very good treating myself, but its OK now that I have the D.S.

Ask me any questions, PM me, I could go on and on forever about the D.S. It saved my life, and continues to save it. My PCP said at my last visit this month, " You are in the best health of your life". I know she will be watching me very closely, to be able to recommend the D.S. to her other patients, and maybe for herself one day. I see a bit of envy in her eyes, my colesteroll is the  lowest she has ever seen.

Seriously No Mexico !!! Research more about US bariatric elite D.S. surgeons. Find them on the  OH surgeon listing. you will find Dr.Kemmeter there, I did. His office has a super method for those traveling to him for surgery, call and inquire. So much of the pre processing can be done from a distance.

Good luck with your journey. ;-)

Sandra

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Sandra C.
on 11/8/12 10:46 am - Kalamazoo, MI

I want to add, I switched surgeons from a local group who didnt offer the D.S, to out of town for Dr.Kemmeter and the D.S. I had all my paper work in with the first surgeon, just waiting for a last physical with him before surgery, when I switched. My whole life changed at this moment. I would do it all again the very same way, with Kemmeters' group. I wouldnt change a thing.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

angel3
on 11/8/12 9:53 pm

I started out very similiar to your stats.I was 5'3 and 195 at time of surgery.I had an RNY.I know weigh 135 and a bmi around 23.Let me first say by no means is this a quick fix.I had mine in July 2011.The first year was a breeze but this second year has been hard.It is truly a tool and not a quick fix.I lately have found myself off track and fighting with the carb monster and sugar monster.All surgeries are not without complications.I do not want to scare you because I would do it all over again.I had surgery in July and had a bleeding ulcer in August.In early  May of this year I had a bowel obstruction and late May kidney stones.In June I had my gallbladder removed.That being said I live about 1 hour and 45 minutes form my surgeon and the hospital he does surgery at.Each time I went to my local ER and had to be transferred to the hospital where my surgeon is.Most places are unfamiliar with gastric bypass and will not even treat you.They more or less treat you with pain meds to make the trip .That being said imagine if u go out f the country to get this done.What happens if you have a complication?Do you not have insurance?I was 217 when I started this journey and 195 at surgery and now weigh 135.Feel better both physically and emotionally.Again want to0 stress this is just a tool to help us with weight loss not a total solution.please feel free to message me if u have any questions on my journey.Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make

bugirll
on 11/10/12 12:19 pm - MD
DS on 03/19/12

I had the DS and my BMI was just at 40.  I could have had a RNY or sleeve or band for free 5 minutes from my house.  I chose after careful research to go with the DS out of the country and out of pocket.  I will be paying for it for years.  Not one regret. 

DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views