So excited to find this group! My surgery is 12/13 and I need feedback!

6penningtons
on 11/7/12 5:29 am - MO
DS on 12/12/12

Good afternoon guys.  I am really excited that I found this group.  I had posted under the MGB board, and haven't gotten any response. So here is my story.  I am 34 years old, 5'2, 190lbs and 35 BMI.  I am scheduled to have MGB surgery in Tijuana on 12/13.  I know that I am on the lower end of the BMI and so I really haven't found much support out there.  I seem to be stuck in the middle,  the skinny people I know think I am fat, but the people who are heavier than I am are even more hateful and say that I should just be happy where I am.  Well, I am not.  I HATE how I feel, and how I look.  I have tried changing my diet/exercise, and have never had success.  So, this is my last ditch effort.  I am terrified that I will be one of the statistics of people who have the surgery and still don't lose weight. So, I am hoping that someone out there, reading this post, has been where I am, and can give me some personal experience suggestions of what to expect.  Thanks guys!

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/12 6:25 am
RNY on 08/31/12

In general, you can turn to these boards for help, especially with nutritional support. I don't know if by having your surgery out of the country if you are going to be hooked up as extensively as the rest of us are with skilled nutritionists. So, that said, please feel free to return and ask questions as you plug through your pre-op and recovery.

As far as other people go, you might want to start developing short, to-the-point, responses to people's comments or questions so you don't allow them to get into the habit of voicing their opinion. Some are just curious. Here are some responses that might "close" the conversation (remember, you don't need their permission for surgery so don't act like you are wanting it):

• After a thorough discussion with my doctor, we decided surgery was the best option for me to maintain a healthy lifestyle for the long term.
  • My doctor and I discussed how to avoid future surgeries on my (insert body part like foot, knee, back) and gastric surgery is the best option. (my favorite as it applies directly to me)
  • I decided to take a proactive approach to my health and my doctor agreed so I'm having surgery.
  • I've listened to many friends and family advice about my weight issue and I've tried many things but my doctor helped me finalize my decision to have surgery as the long term outcomes are much greater than just losing weight by dieting.

I hope this helps. 

6penningtons
on 11/7/12 6:35 am - MO
DS on 12/12/12

I will certainly get one of those responses memorized.  So far I only have 3 people who even know I am having surgery: my husband, my BFF, and my pastor.  Other than that, I am pretty sure I will not be telling anyone else for a while.  Once the surgery is over, and I start losing weight, I might tell them.  Of course at that point, they can't try to talk me out of it!  I just get so tired of people being so negative.  It is like they think this is a decision I made without a LOT of thought, prayer and research!

I have a post-op diet that my surgeon gave me, but I have been trying to read as many posts as possible to see what REALLY works, and what doesn't.

Age: 34; Ht: 5'2; High Wt: 190; Goal Wt: 120; DS by Dr. Lopez 12/12/12

MajorMom
on 11/7/12 6:35 am - VA

Welcome aboard. 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

6penningtons
on 11/7/12 6:37 am - MO
DS on 12/12/12
On November 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM Pacific Time, MajorMom wrote:

Welcome aboard. 

MajorMom, seems like your pre-op stats are pretty similar to mine.  Do you mind me asking which sugery you had?

Age: 34; Ht: 5'2; High Wt: 190; Goal Wt: 120; DS by Dr. Lopez 12/12/12

MajorMom
on 11/7/12 6:50 am - VA

I had the duodenal switch. It's a sleeve with a lot of rerouting of the intestines with creates a lot of malabsorption. Good info on www.dsfacts.com.  :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Kermit P.
on 11/7/12 6:48 am

Stay on this board....it is very supportive and you are with other lightweights who TOTALLY get it.  It can be a frustrating place to be but we know the struggle of being overweight and the need for surgery.

MajorMom (Gina) had DS and I am sure she will share her experiences.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!!

~~Jennifer

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
southernlady5464
on 11/7/12 9:05 am

Welcome to the group.

Like Gina, (majormom), I also had the DS. Best decision I ever made.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

UBi FIT
on 11/7/12 10:19 pm
VSG on 08/06/12

I started out at 181 , BMI of 34. I'm 33 and had VSG. Yes the main board people were very mean and nasty. This board is fantastic!  I feel I have friends here. Never once have they commented onmy " low weight". I felt the same as you, you will lose weight just relax! And welcome! 

Dr. Goal 137-140 my goal 130. Fantasy goal 125

6penningtons
on 11/7/12 10:27 pm - MO
DS on 12/12/12
On November 8, 2012 at 6:19 AM Pacific Time, ubiefit c wrote:

I started out at 181 , BMI of 34. I'm 33 and had VSG. Yes the main board people were very mean and nasty. This board is fantastic!  I feel I have friends here. Never once have they commented onmy " low weight". I felt the same as you, you will lose weight just relax! And welcome! 

Nikki, when and where did you have the surgery? I have been so excited with the group here....nothing but positive and encouraging!

Danielle

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views