X-post a new adventure, might have to postpone VSG

Linda B.
on 8/14/12 9:12 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
Well, I have been looking for a teaching job for a little over a year. Well, today I got a phone call and an offer to teach part-time. Since the school year starts Monday, I may have to postpone my surgery. Essentially, I can ask Kaiser if I can do it o the first day of Chrismas break and recover for two weeks. Or, I can let my new employer know that I have a medical procedure (not going to mention what) on 9/13 and take that day off, and return to work on Tuesday. I would only be working Tuesdays & Thursdays. I wouldn't tell my surgeon what I was doing, he would not approve. This would be the back-up plan as I really would like to recover for a couple of weeks. Anyway, I am also going to have to take a pretty big pay cut in order to accept the job, but with teaching jobs as hard to get in CA as they are, I need to get in somewhere. I am going to also ask my current boss if I can drop down to part-time. I'll let you all know how it all comes together. Yes, I would be dissapointed if I have to postpone, but I can't turn down the offer as I would be waiting another year to try for something else. Of course explaining to Kaiser why I needed them to move faster obviously didn't work. If they had let me go to another facility or worked with my potential schedule, I would have already been sleeved and wouldn't need to rant a bit about their foot dragging here.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Price S.
on 8/15/12 4:19 am - Mills River, NC
Even folks who do well, generally aren't ready to return to work the next day.  If nothing else, you will have had sedation for the surgery and it won't be out of your system to drive to work.  I hate that you may have to postpone but trying to return the next day after major surgery is not a good plan. Even if you could have surgery Friday and not have to return til Tues may be scarey.  What age kids are you working with?  What will be your expected level of activity?  Will you need to be doing any lifting?

Christmas break may be a better possiblity.

Another thought, is insurance connected to the current job?  If so, will you lose it if you go part time?

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 8/15/12 7:29 am - Butler, PA
Teaching jobs in PA are scarce and far between so I understand your concern so I think I would postpone until you have a couple weeks of a break.

There is no way I could have returned to work that soon and I have a desk job.  If for some reason you have to be on pain meds, have complications, hormones kick in etc. and you have to miss longer you might never get called again.

WLS is not something you want to rush your healing. It can be a very emotional time.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

UBi FIT
on 8/15/12 8:25 am
VSG on 08/06/12
 I agree , I work in a school now. I felt great after surgery, I was even ready to go home shortly after recovery, I felt so great . Then the fifth day hit and holy cow! I felt like I was gonna blow up and my sides were going to split . The next few days I couldn't sleep at night , because I felt every move my stomach and intestines made , and finally today I feel good again. I have 3 weeks off before school starts , I am glad I do. Learning your new stomach , how to get your fluids in , dealing with over fullness when you drink too much trying make 64 oz( which I can't) all that you will be greatfull you waited till Xmas break. 

Ps.. I have had several surgeries and always returned to work before schedule ( high pain tolerance) this is more about learning and taking the time to heal and feel what's happening. Thats what you need the time for, the aches and pains are tolerable. I had VSG 8/6/2012
lerkhart
on 8/15/12 4:03 pm
Congratulationson the teaching offer.

I'm with the others though.  I would wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas break.  i went back to work a little over 2 weeks, that was pretty quick and I have a desk job. 

Good luck.  Be sure to keep us updated.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Linda B.
on 8/15/12 9:12 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
I think you all are right, I should wait for a break. My surgeon is on vacation until Monday. I sure hope he isn't going on his Christmas break to early. I'm going to try for 12/14 or 12/17. I wouldn't have to be back to wor****il 1/3. I'll let you all know if I can change my date. Thanks for the good advise. I was worried about going back to soon, DH could have, but I have a harder time bouncing back than he does. I know I am going to want to rest.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Mandy R.
on 8/17/12 1:23 am - Callahan, FL
Congrats on the Jon...prayers for the right decision
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...