Can you lose to much weight and be denied prior to surgery?

Armyguy1976
on 6/29/12 12:48 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
Morning all , I'm in early days of this life changing process,  my MO/GP finally approved my referral(She warns me it might take up a month to be actually submitted(Military likes to drag things out and requires rubber stamp from Ottawa) So I'm expecting anywhere from 1-2 years from this point to surgery.

My question is what if I loose a significant amount of weight before going under the knife? I'm a life long yo yo weight loss then gain victim, I'm currently hovering at 255-260 lbs and a bmi of 39.5-40 , I do have sleep Apnea, GERD and borderline HBP and a staggering amount of Diabetes, Heart Disease and HBP in my family on both sides.

I'm reading stories of people losing up to 30 pounds on Optifast, that would drop me below 35 BMI? Anyone been denied this late into the process? I'm concerned because my weight does tend to fluctuate .

Anyone else concerned about being denied so late into the process?

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

Price S.
on 6/29/12 12:57 am - Mills River, NC
I know the military has it own rules and regs so they may be different.  But for us, our approval was based on the initial weight.  Some insurance requires a 6 month diet monitoring but most folks didn't lose much during that.  It was basically a weigh in and class.  After we were approved, we started a 4 week optifast liquid diet, 5 shakes, 1 small food meal a day.  We were to lose 8% of our excess weight before surgery.  Everyone did but approvals were already done then.  Normally, 35BMI and co-morbidities will get you approved. 

1-2 yrs seems like forever.  I know my 5 months seemed like forever.  Once you make up your mind, you are ready to get on with it.  Hang in there.  Life is wonderful on the other side. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Eliza55
on 6/29/12 1:15 am - PA
I was denied very late into the process because I lost too much weight pre-op.  I had the same co-morbidities as you, and was required to do a 3 month diet. One week towards the end of the 3 month diet - the doc's scale weighed 4 lbs less than mine, and  I dropped below the magic BMI and became self-pay.

But being self-pay was not a bad thing.  It was the best money I ever spent in my life, and my surgeon had good rates for self-pay patients.  I'm glad I was able to have affordable surgery, and continue my association with such a great doc.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

MacMadame
on 6/30/12 9:01 am - Northern, CA
It depends very much on your insurance. Most go by initial weight but a few will deny you if you drop below a BMI of 35 so you have to check what your insurance says.

Sleep apnea should let you drop below a BMI of 40 unless your insurance requires two co-morbidities. The GERD isn't counted as a co-morbidity by some insurances but is for others and for the HBP, most want it to be not well controlled with medicine. So it's not enough just to have it but you also have it be bad and uncontrolable. Which sucks.

IOW, it really just depends on your particular insurance policy.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

graciesmommie
on 7/1/12 12:09 pm
I was worried about the same thing but my Dr. said not to worry about that. I did optifast. I lost 20lbs on Optifast but it didn't stop my surgery.  I had some complications after surgery but even with all that considered it was definately worth it all. Good luck!!
Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
mom3miracles
on 7/2/12 1:16 am
When I called to schedule my initial consult my BMI was right at 35- they told me not to lose any weight before coming in for my official weigh-in or I would be denied by insurance.  They recorded my official BMI as 36 (I put on 2 pounds and wore my heaviest clothes/boots to the consult).  Once that was submitted to my insurance, it didn't matter if I lost weight. Good luck.
SierraNosnibor
on 7/10/12 8:11 pm - Australia
VSG on 08/07/12
My surgeon is really good, he looks at where you were at in your heaviest stage. He said that everyone has their weights "set point" and your body often wants to go back to its heaviest weight.

I lost a large amount of my weight and now have a BMI of 32 but he is still going to do the surgery because at my heaviest I had a BMI of 40 and he is still keen to do the surgery.

Without the surgery he has found It is quite rare for people to be able to sustain permanent weight loss.

I totally understand your concern though, but I think it's important to get healthy and you should start now - even losing 10% of your body fat can have huge health benefits

I hope your Surgeon is as understanding and realistic as mine.

Good luck!
Crimsonjen
on 10/28/14 7:51 am - Canada

I am almost in the identical situation as you are. Seeing as how thi is over 2 years old I hope that you had a succesful surgery by now. I'm booked for surgery in early Feb. 2015 pending the clinics receipt of my payment code. I'm right at the 39-40 line and worried that if I lose too much before Feb that I'll be declined. How did it go for you in the end?

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 379 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 502 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 559 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 571 views