Observations...(Please contribute)

Jane W.
on 11/8/10 12:50 am - Southaven, MS
Hi,

1.  I am really hungry a lot, quit mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks (sure that is why).  But able to live with hunger better than I ever have before.
2.  I am able to eat more than I thing I should be able to eat most of the time (1-1.5 cups), but not always...depends on what it is...but more at 6 months out than others I think.
3.  I have lost a lot more inches from my hips (9) compaired to my chest (4).  Not a bad thing!!
4.  Imbarassed about how my compliments I am getting (go figure...LOL)
5. Hate taking vits....

Great thread!!

Jane
5'6"    
punchynerd
on 11/8/10 3:31 am - New York, NY
Hi Jane,
  I'm sorry you have so much hunger!  Is there anything your NUT recommends to combat that?
Jane W.
on 11/8/10 11:10 pm - Southaven, MS
Yes, she recommended 100 cal high protein snack, esp between lunch and supper, that's when I get the hungiest for some reason.  I haven't started that back yet....moving at work, etc, in transition, just trying to put up with it (the hunger), but I'm probably gonna have to add a Yogart and fruit, or cheese snack mid afternoon.  I'm just gonna have to plan for it and do it...takes a little effort to plan, shop, etc...(I've gotten lazy LOL and in a routine).  There will be a community frig at the new office...not sure I trust ALL of them not to take my food, but will just have to test it LOL.  Thanks for your support.

Jane
5'6"    
CherylR
on 11/8/10 7:23 am - Blue Springs, MO

Hello Jane!
I haven''t been around much so you don't really know me. I am two years out now and lots that you said reminds me of me. I could eat that much at 6 months out also. I never reached my ultimate goal but I did meet my doctors goal for me.  I am hungry lots also. Have been since around 6 months out. I am not sure what to tell you to help except, I look pretty good and things have been going well for me. I think I could lose more weight fairly easily if i really kept track of the calories I take in. My husband says my surgery just put me on an even playing field with the normal women in the world. Able to lose weight if I reallly work at it and wanting to lose 10-15 pounds. Hang in there. If you work harder than I have, I know you will meet your goals.

Cheryl
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
SW--235  Low Weight--145  Goal Weight135
Regain of 20 pounds--Getting Back on track

CherylR
on 11/8/10 1:26 am - Blue Springs, MO
I really relate to all of your observations. I remember when I noticed I had bones. Then I realized I really needed a pillow between my knees at night They got so knobby.

New observations 2 years out:

Maintaining weight: I seem to be able to maintain weight without too much difficiulty. Of course I do lots of excercise. I really thought I would lose some more weight with the excercise but I eat more than. I seem to have learned to eat when I am hungry. On days I don't excercise, I don't eat much. On days I do, I am ravenous and I eat. My body knows what it needs evidently. I think not having lost as much as I wanted is letting me maintain weight better.
My body is still changing shape: When I first stopped losing weight the loose skin on my inner thighs and abdomen was terrible. I looked like a sharpei. Now it seems to have tightened up considerably. Is it tight? No way! Would I still like to have surgery? Definitely! But it is so much better.
My butt has a shape now:  I never had much of a butt. It was really wide but so flat. No definition at all. As I lost weight, it got narrower but remained flat. Since I started running it has started to lift up a little bit and have some real shape. This is the favorite thing running has done for me.
I can wear really high heels:  I  love wearing high heels now. They make my legs look so nice and don't hurt my knees and ankles the way they did when I was much heavier.

Just love all the changes.

Cheryl
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
SW--235  Low Weight--145  Goal Weight135
Regain of 20 pounds--Getting Back on track

punchynerd
on 11/8/10 3:32 am - New York, NY
Cheryl!  I love your little pumpkin!  And your observations are really encouraging.  
lerkhart
on 11/8/10 1:33 am

The big change I've noticed is all the bones.  I have bones, bones and more bones.  I can't sleep on my side with my knees together anymore because the bones rub each other and it is uncomfortable.  I have a hard time laying flat on my back because my behind hurts!!
But - what great problems to have - I'll take them anyday.

I always thought I was big boned, but as I have lost weight I have noticed that I am really small framed.  My wrist are so tiny.

This is not a body change but a mind change.  I feel so much more confident in talking with others.  I'm still shy, but nothing like wanting to disappear into the floor as before WLS.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
punchynerd
on 11/8/10 3:33 am - New York, NY
Linda - I think you were the first person to warn me about the bones, and I'm so glad that you did, because the first time I felt a rib I almost freaked out!  Then I remembered what you said about bones showing up, and I was like, "oh, I guess it's not some weird growth, it's a rib."  :)

I'm so happy to hear about your increased confidence!
paranoidmother21
on 11/8/10 2:00 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Things I've learned about my body -

1. with smaller thighs comes the ability to wear hose fairly comfortably - even thigh tops!!!
2. without the "rings of saturn" around my belly, I can almost do a 3-turn on the ice!
3. I can no longer "arrange" myself for sleep by placing my ankles and knees on top of each other: the bones hurt! I too need a pillow to sleep that way
4. No matter how small and thin they are, bones can be strong and dense
5. working out the legs regularly may lead to being "muscle bound" - I now have to spend more time stretching out my left leg than I do working it! (suddenly couldn't sit cross-legged: my left knee would only point straight up!)
6. high heels are FUN - got these in blue, and love wearing them with jeans! http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/juniors/heels/dress/PRD~623505/Candies+Yunnis+PeepToe+Platform+Heels.jsp
6. no waist (pre-op - lots of fat) to no waist (post-op - lots of skin) still means go for the lower waist jeans to get them to fit! Some things DON'T change LOL!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

punchynerd
on 11/8/10 7:06 am - New York, NY
Rebecca - those shoes are hot!  Love them!  I bet they look great with jeans. 

Lots of people are talking about the bony knee issue.  It hasn't become a problem for me yet, but y'all are all smaller.  Is this something that skinny girls have lived with all along?

Are you a skater?  I'm so jealous.  I carry this fantasy that I will, one day, be a skater, too, and that my olympic career is ahead of me.  I just need to get over that fear of getting my fingers sliced off that keeps me from entering the rink... 
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 360 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 483 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 540 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 558 views