Observations...(Please contribute)

valleyfree
on 11/7/10 10:09 pm - OR
I can definitely relate to a lot of those. Here are a couple of additional observations I've had:

I still don't LOVE to exercise, but I like it and I CAN do it. Before, I always wanted to exercise and I could, but it was uncomfortable. It is so much easier now. I also think I'm stronger from carrying around all that extra weight. I carried in two gallons of milk yesterday and thought, "just a few months ago, I was carrying around at least this much extra weight on my body." Weird.

I am still me
No offense to anyone, but I am so relieved to still feel like me. I don't behave differently, no personality changes, don't prance around, didn't change my entire "style" (if I ever had one. LOL), basically just haven't changed everything about myself. I'm still just me. I have watched so many people who lose weight change who they are (and maybe they needed to) and change into people I'm not sure I like anymore. I'm relieved that I am still most comfortable quietly being me....no extra attention needed.

HW 247/SW 232/CW 135/GW 140 Height 5'4"  Age 43 A BIT BELOW GOAL

punchynerd
on 11/8/10 3:24 am - New York, NY
I think about that, too, when I carry heavy things.  I'm like, "how on earth did I do that???"

And the second point is very, very important.  I guess the degree to which it's true for others has to do with how much we let our weight define us.  
stellalukin
on 11/7/10 11:12 pm - Cambridge, MA
Love the observations!! I remember when I started to see strange bones show up... although I will say if you start to see your breastbone, you might be below goal or just about hitting your goal. (just one of my observations.)

Let's see, my observations as I am 2+ years out-
- as long as I keep exercise in my plan, my body seems to reset to a consistent weight that I am happy with. I work out 4-5 times a week for about 40 minutes. I should say that the weight I've stabilized at is 25 pounds higher than my lowest post surgery weight.
- dumping syndrome now is worse than it was at the beginning. I can handle some sugar, but anything like soda or ice cream- forget it.
- I have zero hunger. NONE. I never get hungry, I still only eat by the clock or knowing that it's just "time."

-I'm always deficient on vitamin D!! Grr!! I work with a nutritionist (not from my docs office) and really closely monitor my levels, but at least 2-3 times a year I test low.
- I sustained a stress fracture in my ankle over the summer which was quite severe. Part of the reason it was so severe was because of the poor calcium absorption I have now.
Which is to say... KEEP TAKING YOUR VITAMINS. It's no joke & it's nothing to fool around with.

"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

punchynerd
on 11/8/10 3:26 am - New York, NY
Helpful list!  

Did you ever get hungry after your surgery?  Or did that develop later?

stellalukin
on 11/8/10 4:25 am - Cambridge, MA
I haven't been hungry since before surgery. I had the 2-3 days of head hunger right after surgery but once that passed, hunger disappeared never to return.

Just reading your observations it sounds like you might be dehydrated a little. The indentations in the skin & the being off balance thing are indicators- I used to have balance problems but they went away when I became super dilligent about my fluid intake. (just my 2 cents, take it or leave it )
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

punchynerd
on 11/8/10 12:13 pm - New York, NY
Yes!  I think you're right!  I was very careful today, and got tons of fluids.  Tomorrow I'm committed to the same.  
Jody ***
on 11/7/10 11:14 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Love your list Rosa.

One thing to add: I thought the changes to my body, especially once I hit goal and maintained for a long time, were done. BUT - that's SO not true! Your body keeps redistributing your leftover weight. That's NOT a bad thing, but can be a surprise to you if it goes somewhere you didn't really want it! LOL.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

punchynerd
on 11/8/10 3:27 am - New York, NY
Haha, Jody - my fat moves around every week!  I wish I could just tell it where to go, and that it would just listen.  Like - ok, let's have some T&A (not tooooo much) but leave the rest alone!
Roz !!!!
on 11/7/10 11:19 pm - Butler, PA
I think I am more of an observer now rather than feeling like I need to do something to be involved and get noticed.

I worry about your tailbone pain.  I had TERRIBLE tailbone pain when I lost a lot of weight on WW.  I think it was the worse pain that I have ever had to endure.  It got so bad that sitting down just wasn't possible.  Once I started gaining back my weight the pain went away.  After WLS I kept a record every month on whether I had pain or not and at weight that I was at.  If the pain would have started I never would have continued losing that's how bad I dreaded it.  I babied my tailbone and fortunately for me it didn't happen this time around.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

punchynerd
on 11/8/10 3:30 am - New York, NY
Thanks, Roz!  

Thank goodness it doesn't really hurt unless I'm laying on something hard.  I don't notice it otherwise.  Hoping that doesn't change...
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 360 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 483 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 540 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 558 views