Huge NSV!!

Lee ~
on 8/15/10 1:28 am - CA

Yesterday was a big day for me.  One of my non-scale goals for this summer was to be able to hike a trail at Pt. Reyes National Park.  The trail goes through the woods, ending up at the ocean.  Lots of hills to walk.  The guidebook suggests a 2 mile an hour pace for the average hiker, not including rest stops.   I was hoping to do it in that alloted time.

We got to the trail at 2pm.  I started at what I considered a good pace.  Zach was loving being in the forest since NYC doesn't offer much in the way of green.  We got to the place where I have always sat on a bench to rest in the past, but I was feeling good so we just breezed past.  

I was so surprised to get to Arch Rock at the ocean in 1.5 hours.  Keeping up that pace on the long upward hills just thrilled me.   We sat on the rock for a 30 minute break to enjoy the ocean and vista.  I ate 1/4 of an apple and a babybel cheese for a snack.  My pace was a little slower on the return.  I was looking forward to the last big downhill and to really pick up the pace but my ankle started throbbing 1.5 miles from the parking lot.  I had to really slow it down as I was in tears.  I had a motrin and took that but it didn't help much.

Even with the pain, I kept the pace pretty well and we made it back by 5:30 which was three hours hiking time and 30 minute break at the ocean.  I was incredibly proud of myself.  I could see that the 14+ hours of exercise a week that I've put in all summer have really made my legs, heart and lungs stronger.  It made me remember that I'm in this for better health and not for vanity reasons.

Taking something off the "goal wishlist" is a great feeling.   I did expect a bit of a scale reward this morning since my calories were less than 800 and I really did push myself hard yesterday.

I had to just laugh this morning when I saw that I shed only 2 ounces yesterday.  That's a total lost of 1.8 pounds in three weeks.   Why oh why scale Goddess?  And yes, a pound weighs a pound regardless of whether it's fat or muscle.  Tuesday is my 6 month mark and I really wanted to be closer to "overweight"  -  174 pounds.  I guess my body is a stubborn as I am!  I still
my sleeve! 

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

MajorMom
on 8/15/10 1:38 am - VA
HOOAH!! You done good, Lee!  Any pictures? I'd love to get to the west coast one day and go on that hike.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Lee ~
on 8/15/10 1:44 am - CA
Hi Gina,

No pictures.  We didn't take a camera and neither of us took our iPhone for the hike.  I realized when were were about a mile out that I would have liked a pictured at Arch Rock, but it wasn't worth going back for.  No backtracking on a hike!

I'd love to do it with you when you get out here to California!  :)

bebaugh
on 8/15/10 2:35 am - Merced, CA
Congratulations Lee! It is so wonderful how our lives change after this surgery! You have done great.

Bebaugh (Elizabeth)

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." Carl Bard    

Lee ~
on 8/15/10 4:50 am - CA
Thanks Elizabeth!   Will I see you at the OH luncheon on Saturday?  I hope so!  It's been a long time since we've both been there at the same time.

bebaugh
on 8/15/10 6:23 am - Merced, CA
I am having the exploratory surgery on Thursday so I don't think I will be feeling like going this month. We will make it soon though! Take care.

Bebaugh (Elizabeth)

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." Carl Bard    

Lee ~
on 8/15/10 8:02 am - CA
Good Luck Elizabeth.  I hope your report comes back saying that everything is fine.

Price S.
on 8/15/10 3:50 am - Mills River, NC
How very wonderful.  I know it felt good in lots of ways.  I do hope your ankle is really ok.  That old scale will move soon, I'm sure.  And muscle really does weigh more than fat.  It took some serious muscle to do that hike.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lee ~
on 8/15/10 4:51 am - CA
Thank you Price.  My ankle is ok, just not happy with inclines.  I'm two years out from major ankle surgery and I'm surprised it's giving me so much trouble.  I'll probably email my ankle surgeon this week to check it out.

Price S.
on 8/15/10 6:01 am - Mills River, NC
My knees actually take going uphill better than going down.  Just don't get injured at this point, you are on a roll.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views