These woozies have me stumped...

Cort0807
on 8/15/10 12:00 am - Fort Campbell, KY
Perhaps I am just quite ambitious but since the sun and such have been a beast here and it is cloudy and preparing to storm today I decided to load the kiddo in the jogging stroller and take off on an adventure... of 2 whopping blocks! You would think I ran the Boston Marathon with how woozy I feel, the sweat pouring off of me, and the way my pulse was pitter pattering away! I started my morning with a protein source.. SF Carnation Instant Breakfast, took water with me, and I am stumped and of course probably needlessly worried that something is wrong.

I really want to optimize the chances at a great life I was given with this tool and not let myself get lazy and complacent but maybe I'm just not meant to do a mile at a time post-op like they mentioned.... YET!

southernlady5464
on 8/15/10 12:06 am
Okay, I know you are still on the liquid phase. So please make sure you keep drinking something at a minimum of every two hours. RNY'ers are notorious for developing hypoglycemia even if they have never been diabetic or prediabetic. See this link. Since you were in the sun, you might want to up that to at least every hour.

I'm not sure what happened without a meter but it's possible your blood sugar went low.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Cort0807
on 8/15/10 12:21 am - Fort Campbell, KY
I checked blood sugar with a OneTouch Ultra that had came in the mail for free... 123 so not bad really.

I am like a walking water fountain right now... if you see me, you see a cup and then every 2 hours I am also making sure to get full liquid something in whether it is the Carnation, protein shake, pudding, or soup.

I think it is most likely the humidity. I didn't jog, I was lucky to pull off a walk at a slow and steady pace. Not going for medals, just going for habit at this point. I'm just anxious because I can normally do a decent walk, have to listen to my body more than a book.

Jane W.
on 8/15/10 12:07 am - Southaven, MS
Hey Cort...you are the ambitious one!!!  Sounds like you may be pushing it a little early.  I hope you weren't jogging.  We were told walk only for 3 months...so as not to mess up the internal sutures from our surgery.  Also with this heat and humidity....be careful.  It is absolutely great that you are motivated and moving, just build up to it gradually.  Hang in there.
5'6"    
Jane W.
on 8/15/10 12:08 am - Southaven, MS
I meant, we were advised to walk only for 3 WEEKS, not months...sorry.
5'6"    
MajorMom
on 8/15/10 12:09 am - VA
First of all, this isn't a race and you can't force your body to heal fast. It's going to do its own thing after major surgery.

Priorities: fluids, rest, light walking, more fluids, rest, a decent protein shake like Nectar or ProPerformance, more fluids, a multi-vitamin, a couple of calciums, more rest, more fluids....

Be patient with yourself and rest and drink more fluids...did say drink more fluids and rest?

((hugs))

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Melissa1965
on 8/15/10 1:03 am
You are barely out of surgery and you are still healing. Take it slow. I had woozies first 8 weeks. Those were the toughest 8 weeks of my life. Don't push yourself too hard, you need to baby yourself and take baby steps. This stage of the game don't last forever.
HW 268/SW 255/CW 150/GW 160
moondancer2000
on 8/15/10 1:11 am - Ft Rucker, AL
Damn girl I was only able to make it to the end of my driveway, it's only two cars long!!  LOL  Take it easy.

I will live each day in the mindful present

HW 208/SW 197/CW 115/1st GW 130/2nd GW 120
/3rd goal 115/New GW ??/HT 5'2" NO MORE WEIGHT GOALS

Linda D.
on 8/15/10 1:18 am - Armada, MI
I would just about passing out from taking a shower!  It left me feeling so totally drained and wiped out.  I would have to sit on my bed wrapped in a towel until I had enough strength to towel off and get dressed. 

There was no way I could have walked  -  pushing a stroller!!  - for two blocks so soon after surgery.  So you may be pushing yourself just a tad too hard right now.  Rest - take it easy - give yourself a break!  Everything in due time. 
graciesmommie
on 8/15/10 2:41 am

Don't be so hard on yourself! It sounds like a little hypoglycemia to me. I had a similar experience at about the same stage you are. Don't think I was hypoglycemic but it felt that way. Once you can eat that feeling should go away. I had this feeling come over me in walmart one day my mom was with me. I thought my blood pressure had to have been through the roof from how I was feeling. It turned out my pulse was a little high but my blood pressure was way too low. Once I ate a little something the feeling went away and I was better. I thought I was going DOWN. It was a bad feeling. You need to be careful especially venturing out alone with the baby. Carry a little something in your purse so when you have a bad spell you have something to get you out of it. I carry nuts with me everywhere I go now because of that. It will get better when you can eat. I promise. You are doing awesome to even want to venture out like that at this point. You are such a little inspiration. Good luck to you! Danielle

Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views