Friday Ramblings-Topic ADHD & Working Out. Yep I have it....

moondancer2000
on 8/13/10 8:58 am - Ft Rucker, AL
I had started doing this in the mornings, but this morning I had an appt with the Psychiatrist.  Waited about an hour for him to see me.  He was a very affable and pleasant man.  We conversed for about 30 minutes and at the end he told me that I was indeed I was ADD and most likely ADHD.  He gave me a script for Focalin quick release twice a day, 5mg.  I took my first dose this afternoon, other than a little heartburn and a bit of a headache I'm not feeling much.  He told me I might lose weight as I will lose my appetite.  That hasn't happened, I have been starving, but could be that I just did a serious workout?  DUNNO.  So, I go back in a month to see how I am doing on this new drug...

On the other hand, today's workout was a workout.  Jumprope and sit ups.  PEOPLE!!!  Lemme tell you I haven't done sit ups since BASIC TRAINING!!  My poor screaming abs are not happy campers!!  And the jump roping...umm since I was in 3rd grade doing double dutch.  

So tonight is a TEQUILA night!!  

I will live each day in the mindful present

HW 208/SW 197/CW 115/1st GW 130/2nd GW 120
/3rd goal 115/New GW ??/HT 5'2" NO MORE WEIGHT GOALS

MajorMom
on 8/13/10 9:51 am - VA
I hope the stuff works for you. Did he say how long it would take to see a difference?

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

paranoidmother21
on 8/13/10 12:12 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
Gina, I'm not Moondancer (obviously! ) but I deal with families using Focalin frequently.  It's one of the meds that is water soluble rather than fat soluble (water you take, it works, it goes away.  Fat soluble needs to build up in your system before you see differences), so there should be something happening each time it's taken.

However, for children over about 10 and certainly adults, it takes a while to learn to use the effects of the medicine to your benefit, as well as time to learn to focus for longer periods.  It's another work out: initially you can only run for 3 minutes, but eventually you work up to a nice long run.

Then once you've gained those skills, you start considering if the dose is at the correct level.  So it's a back and forth trial and error thing for a while.

I hope it all works out well for her!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

moondancer2000
on 8/14/10 12:46 am - Ft Rucker, AL
Good morning Sweetness!!  Thank you for answering.  You have informed me even more than what the doc told me. 

Could you give me some insight how to use this TOOL to help me?  For example, just yesterday on my first dose I found it so much easier to walk away from the puter...LOL  I know it seems like a little thing.  I was almost on time meeting friends for drinks.  

MajorMom
on 8/14/10 6:05 am - VA
Thanks! I didn't see a notification that you had replied until I got home today. Crazy email sync issue between the phone and the computer, I guess. Thank you for the explanation, makes total sense.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

moondancer2000
on 8/14/10 12:51 am - Ft Rucker, AL
Morning Gina, what Rebecca said....LOL

italianspice
on 8/13/10 10:30 pm - Eastlake, OH
Well here's to the start of a new journey!
Hope things will improve for you.
And you rock girl with those workouts!
Cheers!
moondancer2000
on 8/14/10 12:50 am - Ft Rucker, AL
Morning Maria.  Funny how I blamed so many things on my obesity.  I know I have to ake controll of my life and I am not too proud to get help to do it.  Thank you for your support! 

I am NOT doing todays workout.  Pull ups....yeah those aren't happening YET, but they will...someday.

walterswife
on 8/14/10 1:51 am
Interesting that you would have posted this.  I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD and the dr has prescribed focalin 20 mg (extended release). I know that extended release drugs are not the best for us but it is working thus far.  I didn't realize that focalin came as an immediate release drug.  Interesting.

I do notice that my appetite goes completely bust when I take it and I have to be more deliberate about eating and drinking.  Interesting that you did not experience that but the workout does have something to do with it.  The other issue is the fact that your dosage seems relatively low.

What made you realize that something was going on that caused you to be evaluated for ADHD?

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

moondancer2000
on 8/14/10 2:56 am - Ft Rucker, AL
Good morning.  I always thought it was my weight that made me too tired to finish projects or continue something.  Since WLS I now have good energy, better mobilty and still can't seem to get my gears going. Since HS I have always been on my own time system.  I change jobs fairly fequently even for an Army wife.  

The dosage is a try me thing.  I see my doc in 4 week to adjust and fine tune things.

What made you and find out about ADD/ADHD?

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...