What's wrong with people!

sleeve genie
on 8/13/10 4:32 pm - Alhambra, CA
People can be so rude,  really.  i carried my weight fairly well,   and people didn't believe i weighed what i weighed.   But i knew i was in big trouble and at 59 then now 60 this had to be done NOW.  No one know what someone else feels,  what they need.  Why is it a concern to them?  its none of their business.  A good frined always told me its all relative.   You are in great company here my dear, and i wish you  every success.  We are all on the path together,  even if we choose to believe other wise.  I'm happy to be on the path will all of us.  I love this site,  it has been a godsend to me.  Take care Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

PlicketyCat
on 8/13/10 7:40 pm - Kenmore, WA
I'm 5-5ish and weughed over 280 the day I first went in to my WLS office. His tech greeted me and thought I was a transfer patient coming in for follow up! When I told her I was coming in for pre-op, she said "I don't think you'll maa".... and that's all she got out before she looked at the scale "umm, nevermind".  After that, I had no issues with their office and they even excsed me from their support group because I got a lot of hostility from the other SMO patients. Some of us just look smaller I guess, because I certainly wasn't the lowest BMI in the group.

The nurse at the hospital thought I was back in for a stricture fix, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt since there were a couple of post-ops on the floor who were getting revisions done. But they were really nice, thank God!  As hyped up and freaked out as I was after surgery I probably would have brained someone with a bed pan for mouthing off to me like your nurse did!

3 years out and I've lost more weight than I weigh now!! All my co-morbids are gone or completely under control... I'm just glad that I didn't wait until my health got really bad like my mom did, she almost didn't get accepted for surgery since her health was so bad by that time! 

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
MacMadame
on 8/15/10 9:51 am - Northern, CA
PlicketyCat!!! I haven't seen you in ages!

Sounds like it's going good for you ... I'm having a good time with my new life, too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

italianspice
on 8/13/10 10:13 pm - Eastlake, OH
Wow!
I guess this is a lot more common than I thought it would be.
Big huggs to you all out there dealing with the uneducated!

Thanks so much for the support!
graciesmommie
on 8/14/10 10:06 am
I know exactly how you feel! I wish I could say people will stop being rude but the truth is I am 9months out at goal and people are still as ignorant as day one. I was only 193 when I started this journey but for my body frame I might as well have been 250. My body couldn't take it. It sounds like yours couldn't either. We all have our own reasons for doing this but mine was I wanted to LIVE not just exist. My kids, my family and myself we all deserve the best of me. When you begin to see all the positive things it will out way peoples stupidity. People come up to me now and say you look great. You can always tell they are fishing. I just respond with I FEEL GREAT TOO. and leave it at that. If they go beyond that I just give them very matter of the fact answers. That keeps them from digging too deep. We are all here going through the same stuff. I am so thankful for all of our OH friends. May your path get brighter and lighter along the way! Danielle
Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
punchynerd
on 8/18/10 9:56 pm - New York, NY
I get this all of the time. I actually find myself anticipating that someone will say it when I tell them I've had the surgery "I know I didn't seem that large but let me be clear that I did qualify for the procedure" or something like that. Not saying that's the right approach, after reading your post, just thought about how I've been doing that.
5'4 CW: 130, GW: 130
Springtime Challenge to reach goal of 130 in spring MET!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views