My husband thinks he's a hippie!

* JuneCleaver *
on 8/12/10 2:09 pm
Let's rewind about 2 years shall we?  My husband was diagnosed with extremely high triglycerides and mildly elevated cholesterol.  Yeah, his diet wasn't perfect but there is a HUGE genetic component involved here.  So I start working on him...  finally got his meds tweaked and we got his levels into normal range. 

But he bucked the dietary changes big-time!  He did NOT want to give up his chocolate chip cookies and milk, processed foods, etc.

I don't know what flipped the switch for him but fast forward to today...

He called me and said "I think I'm a hippie...how did this happen?"  he was watering his garden (loaded with organic veggies), cooking multi-grain pancakes made with our own fresh organic brown chicken eggs and organic almond milk, hanging laundry on the clothes line, and preparing for the new school year because he home-schools our daughter.

Like I said, I don't know what flipped the switch for him but he's a whole foods, organic enthusiast and hasn't had chocolate chip cookies or cow's milk in over 6 months!  He raised about 25 meat birds without hormones or antibiotics (our freezer is loaded with GOOD chicken).  He will eat my shirataki noodles and pretty much anything else I cook for him that is healthy.  He won't consume anything that is stored in containers with BPA's and went to great lengths to find DD sunscreen that is the least toxic.  He hasn't adopted a rigorous exercise program but he is definitely more active!

Perhaps his 42nd birthday was the push?  Dunno but I LIKE IT!!!!  Hope it's not a mid-life crisis but a permanent lifestyle change.  Only time will tell...

I just wanted to share his story to tell you that if you have a spouse that is resistant to "this health stuff"...there is hope!

Bekah

Lap RNY 6/7/07 (Consult -196 / Current - 111.2) 
LBL/BA 8/13/08  
Coccygectomy 3/09

MacMadame
on 8/12/10 6:14 pm - Northern, CA
Maybe he could come talk to my dh? He's got the same issues with cholesterol and a strong family history of heart disease and I can't even get him to take some Omega-3 pills. Bah.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MajorMom
on 8/12/10 7:04 pm - VA
Excellent! I always thought he was a hippie at heart. lol  Glad he's doing the right things. You are such a good cook, I can't imagine him not eating what you prepare. 

My DH's labs are coming in great for an old dude of 56. He's doing low carb and high protein, and taking Vitalady's VSG/band plan for vitamins. The switch came on for him last December. Peace in the home at last! Ain't it great?

I need to place an order for more Whey Low. Now my mom and my hair dresser want to try it. lol

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Shannon D.
on 8/12/10 8:29 pm
I think you are so lucky to have a husband that is on board with you. My husband and kids decided before my surgery that they were going to do this with me. They eat what I eat with a few modifications like bread, etc. I still buy some snacks for the kids, but overall, they all eat super healthy with me. I believe it makes this journey that much easier.

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Jody ***
on 8/12/10 11:01 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
WOW - that's great!  I remember when you were having BIG problems with him being a non-conformist - lol.

Great news - there is hope for the rest of the non-believers out there!

Good to see you back - in fact just yesterday, I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing.

Now about your iron post - I'm terrible with taking my iron (mainly a timing issue) and I'm sure my next labs will slap me silly about it....  I've been borderline low since surgery and have always been low on iron - even pre-surgery.  I do have the Proefferin - no excuses....

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

italianspice
on 8/13/10 12:06 am - Eastlake, OH
How cool is that!
My hubby eats just like my 13 and 14 yr old sons. It is terrible!
I guess I can always hope, he just turned 50, but miracles never cease!
Maria
lerkhart
on 8/13/10 1:37 am
Bekah,
That is great.  I remember reading the posts when you were trying to get him on board.

When my DH was diagnosed with high cholesterol and told what he could do he said "Just give me the pill."  He has been taking them ever since!!  He has probably gained 20-30 pounds since I have lost.  He really frustrates me sometimes!!

Glad he made the changes.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
STLfan
on 8/13/10 3:48 am
What? Ward has turned into a hippy! Does Wally know yet? OMG and what about the Beaver?

Sorry it was just sitting there!
Jeff                    
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views