Another Reason to Go Ahead With Surgery

Shannon D.
on 8/13/10 6:00 am
I just got a call from my big brother...our dad's twin sister just died an hour ago from complications related to type 2 diabetes/severe morbid obesity. I don't talk to my biological father or that side of the family, except for my brother, so no tissues or sympathy needed. But it really reinforced my decision to have WLS. I am built like that side of the family and every one of them was a chunky child, and slowly got bigger and bigger throughout life. That's where I was headed until I put my foot down and did what I had to do to not follow the pattern.

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Price S.
on 8/13/10 6:11 am - Mills River, NC
We don't have diabetes in my family but do have heart issues.  My father died at 49 of a heart attack.  I have high blood pressure but hope to get rid of that with surgery.  Plus, arthritus is ramput in my family and I want to get rid of the weight off my joints.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Shannon D.
on 8/13/10 6:13 am
Genetics suck...but you can change them in some cases. I just think this backed up the post earlier about us lightweights "not needing surgery". No one has the right to say that because they don't know who we are, what we've been through, and what our family history and risk is.

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

loverofcats
on 8/13/10 7:35 am
Shannon, I hear you. My father also died of complications from Type II diabetes and I was headed down that same path. My last FBS was 118 and that was the motivating factor to go ahead with WLS, along with the prodding of my PCP. I am also built like my father. My sisters haven't had the problems with their weight like I have had, but they work at keeping it off.
southernlady5464
on 8/13/10 8:30 am, edited 8/13/10 8:31 am
Shannon, I am sorry about your aunt and even tho you aren't close, she was your dad's sister and she was family and that does mean something somewhere deep inside to know that they are no longer there.

You know, my daddy is one of the few who doesn't see me as too lightweight to have the surgery. In fact he has offered to pick up any expense not covered by the insurance company. His reasoning, he wants me to outlive him and he's 83...wants to live to be 100 and dang it, he just might do it. Many of my paternal side does live to be in their 90's and 100's but we also have our fair share that don't. I seem to have inherited the diseases from those that don't and he's worried about me. He's worried about all four of his girls cause we all seem to have issues, I am just the only one to step forward and do something. I am also the oldest and maybe I can plant the seed for the rest.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Cort0807
on 8/13/10 9:09 am - Fort Campbell, KY
Like Price, with my family it wasn't diabetes it was heart issues, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.. my dad died at 49 and my mom at 44, it sucked losing one at 18 and one at 19. Then I did the math, I had my daughter at 25, the same age my mother had me, and I got diagnosed with high blood pressure at 26(in June when I went for my referral and the PCM looked and could not figure out why I was not already medicated). It was at that point I KNEW, I am not going to leave my daughter without her mother at a young age if there is ANY way to prevent it.

12.9 lbs gone since Monday and I do not regret my decision, it will take some time to get all the nitty gritty long-term stuff downpat but I'm taking life by the horns and I am going to ensure I don't let mine get taken without fighting like a mama bear.

italianspice
on 8/13/10 10:26 pm - Eastlake, OH
I hear you loud and clear!
Genetics is one thing we cant escape.
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views