Swing some lizards, say some prayers

Shannon D.
on 8/12/10 9:13 am
Totally off the weight loss subject, but I went to meet with the adviser at the community college, and next thing I knew I was signed up for classes full time. They only accept applications to the nursing program in the Spring, so in order to get my pre requisite classes out of the way, I have to start now or wait another full year. I told her I didn't know if we could work out the details (classes start Aug 23rd), but she said classes were almost full, so register and if I couldn't work it out, just drop before the date.

So tomorrow DH and I are going to the bank to see if I can get a loan to pay for it (I qualify for Pell grant and direct loans, but signing up this late they won't come out till October and I have to pay up front, then get paid back). In the meantime I am scrambling to find a daycare to take DS part time. All of the centers around here, including the one I already have him signed up for since I am supposed to start a full time job next week, only take babies full day.

If it is meant to be, it will be, but my head is spinning and I am so excited at the thoughts of being a college graduate and making decent money in a few years!

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Jody ***
on 8/12/10 9:23 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
WOW - congratulations!!

Did you fill out the FAFSA?  They woudn't let us do ANYTHING until we've done that.

Good luck with banks - they can be tough and have high interest rates.

If you get the PELL and it won't be until Oct, do you have a credit card you can put it on until then, then pay it off when the PELL comes in?  Do you have a car paid off you can take a loan out against? That may be a cheaper rate until the PELL comes in.  Signature loans can be very expensive...

I know day care is such an issue.  Does the college have any kind of program?  Some do... some don't...

Do you know any other mothers that may want to make a little cash part time?  How about church (if you go)?

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Shannon D.
on 8/12/10 9:40 am
I did the FAFSA a few months ago and got my student aid report...I qualified for the highest amount, but I was looking into a different school at the time, so I didn't put this school's code on the paperwork. I fixed that online as soon as I got home.

Our bank has a student loan program that is pretty similar to the direct loan rates, no early payoff penalty, low interest rates, etc. but our credit is pretty extended. DH is calling is dad this evening to see if he will co-sign since we already know the loan can be paid off completely when the PELL grant comes through. We got rid of all credit cards last year through a debt consolidation program to lower our bills. I think FIL should come through and co-sign. The school has a payment plan that we could probably swing for tuition, but the books are so dang high and we can't afford that.

I just got an e-mail from a friend that is staying at home right now, so I gave her my schedule and am crossing my fingers that she can do it.

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Linda W.
on 8/12/10 10:17 am - Americus, GA

I wish you the best.  Do all you can to achieve your goals.  My daughter went thru Nursing School with 2 children.  It was hard work for her, but so worth it!!  Now one of hers will be starting next week. 

Linda

Linda W.

southernlady5464
on 8/12/10 9:37 am
Good luck and swinging critters for you. Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MajorMom
on 8/12/10 9:40 am - VA
Swinging lizards you can pull it all together. Congrats on getting started on a bright future!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 8/12/10 9:48 am - Mills River, NC
good for you.  I'm sure you can make it work.  I went back to school with 2 small children and no money but made it work and I know you can.  Look at what you have done with this challenge!!!

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

NursieGirl
on 8/12/10 9:54 am
 Oh, good luck honey-bun!  Nursing school is intense (intensely expensive!).  I am an unmarried, independent student that makes about.... $5000 a year, and they estimated that I would need $12,000 this year, but they only gave me $1,900 in grants and $2,200 in loans.  I hope you'll have better luck!

loverofcats
on 8/12/10 12:19 pm
Hi Shannon, I am a RN and have been one for many years. Nursing school is very intense, requires focus, support, and determination to make it through the pre-requistes and the program itself. But, like most things in life that are challenging and require sacrifice, it is so worth it.  Nursing has afforded me the ability to support myself quite well and to work for a great HMO with wonderful benefits. It was one of the best decisions that I ever made. I have always been economically independent, which is huge for many women. I have never had to depend on someone else to support me.

School is a lot more expensive than it used to be, but there are also more opportunities available for loans, grants, and jobs. I wish you success. You certainly have the determination and steadfastness to be successful in your pursuit of being a Registered Nurse.
Lee ~
on 8/12/10 3:41 pm - CA
Oh Shannon, I hope all your little ducks line up so that this works perfectly for you.  I'm cheering for you!  Good luck.  :)

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views