Update went to hospital yesterday-nausea

Legacylc
on 8/12/10 12:28 am - Fairfax, VA
For the past 2 days as you all know I was not able to keep anything down at all. I went to the ER and they did a CT due to me only being 6 weeks out from surgery.

Normally you have to drink 32oz of the contrast and I was only able to get down about 14oz and 8 of that came right back up throughout me sipping. 

so the doctor said I have some type of stomach virus. DIAGNOSIS: GASTRITIS

They gave me phenergen and zofran and a copy of my CT report and labs. He put me back on liquids for the next 48 hrs. My labs were excellent by the way. I have had a fear of dehydration due to the fact that I am only able to consume about 40oz of fluids a day and I was an avid water drinker prior to the surgery.

My CT report mainly focused on problem issues with my right lower quadrant at which I have an ovarian cyst (I knew about) but still does not explain the nasuea and vomiting. 

Oah this is the best part: INOVA fairnoaks hospital is a bariatric center of excellence right. So Of course in my medical history I informed them I had the sleeve. I had 2 nurses and a radiology tech tell me I did not look large enough to be considered for bariatric surgery.

I don't know if that was an insult or compliment. I am 5'3 and at the time of surgery weighed 215 and now weigh 197 I guess 20lbs makes a difference. 

My weight is evenly distributed all over through so maybe thats why.
Any thoughts on what else could be going on?

AndreaH09
on 8/12/10 12:43 am
Glad you went to the ER.
How are you feeling now?
HW 251/SW 239/CW 183/GW 150  height= 5'5"

Legacylc
on 8/12/10 2:38 am - Fairfax, VA
 I am feeling the same stll feels like my thrpat has narrowed and nothing fits. thank you for asking though.
lerkhart
on 8/12/10 2:45 am
Hope you feel better soon.  Take care of yourself!!
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MajorMom
on 8/12/10 5:53 am - VA
How are you doing today with the meds they gave you?  I hope the few days of liquids help.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Legacylc
on 8/12/10 1:14 pm - Fairfax, VA
 Hi Gina I am doing the same. Are you feeling better? I am trying to take it easy I am going to schedule an appointment with the GI doctor tomorrow. I called too late to schedule it today. Take care and feel better.
Jody ***
on 8/12/10 6:01 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Who is your bariatric surgeon?  Did the ER Dr's call him/her?

And the nurses had NO reason to say that to you.  We all do it for different reasons.  That's totally unprofessional of them.  Its like you telling them if they had an arm cut off they didn't need a new one because they still have one....

I hope you get feeling better. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Legacylc
on 8/12/10 1:10 pm - Fairfax, VA
 Hi Jody haven't talked to you in a while. I talked to my Dr already. He wants me to get an upper GI with endoscope so I have to schedule that.

I thought it was a bit unprofessional as well I am overweight like I said I carry it evenly but nevertheless it is unhealthy.

The nurses were a bit young so they didn't come up in a generation where proper manners were abundant. Thank you for the well wishes. I just pray it is not anything serious although I am assuming if it was I would be running a fever and feeling gravely ill.
rbb825
on 8/12/10 2:22 pm, edited 8/12/10 2:23 pm - Suffern, NY
I am glad you are going for an endoscopy. They gave you the diagnosis of gastritis because they didnt' know what else to say. You can't diagnose gastritis without an endoscopy. it is an inflamation of the lining of the stomach. without seeing the inside, you can't say that. You say yuo are having keeping things down and your throat feels narrow, do you feel any type of heartburn? Reflux can cause that feeling and if bad enough can cause you to throw everything up and the more you throw up the more inflamed things get. Are you taking any Acid reducers - PPI? Nexium, protonix, prevacid or prilosec?

Legacylc
on 8/12/10 2:56 pm - Fairfax, VA
 Hi I am taking prevacid and have also been chewing tums. I am having allot of reflux I was doing very well until 2 days ago when this happened. You're right they dont know whats wrong and that's why they just said gastritis. It also feels like gas stuck in my chest along with acid. Thank you for the input.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views