Fitness Challenge - August 12th

Lee ~
on 8/11/10 11:49 pm - CA
Good Morning Peeps!

I can't freakin believe it's drizzling outside.  That darn low hanging fog.  It's August and it's 56 degrees outside.  I don't think we've gotten out of the low 60's in weeks now.  So much for that gorgeous weather to be out exercising in.  That said, I'd rather walk in cool weather.  But my tan is leaving way too quickly.  GRRRRR

My ankle gave me fits last night.  The last 1/2 mile I felt like my ankle froze up and didn't want to walk another step.  My pedometer had me at around 8.5 miles for the day and I wasn't sure I'd make it home.  That said, I heard my ankle surgeon's voice telling me that I can't really screw anything up at this point.

I'm going to take it a little easier today and see if less walking will help.  So here's my plan:

Walk to work the short way - 15 minutes
Walk at lunch if I feel ok - 30 minutes
Evening gym time
30 minutes cardio
Weight machine routine
150 crunches

How's it going gang?  Muscles springing up?  Feeling stronger and more fit?  Do you force yourself to exercise or enjoy it (even just a tiny bit)?

What are you doing today?  Let's have fun with it!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Shannon D.
on 8/12/10 1:14 am
I wi**** was cool here. We have had a heat advisory for days, heat index well into the 100's. I ended up on the treadmill last night because It was so humid. I ran my 3.5 miles. I am going to power walk or run tonight for 45 minutes, then do weights and floor exercises. Since I couldn't get used to 4am which would be necessary for my work schedule, I gotta get used to evening. My leg muscles are so big and hard...it's amazing.

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Lee ~
on 8/12/10 3:53 pm - CA
Hi Shannon,

It's so difficult to exercise when it's humid.  I give you big kudos for anything that you do while it's so hot.  I had to smile about your leg muscles because I'm getting some too!  Isn't it great!!  :)

loverofcats
on 8/12/10 3:56 am
Lee, what type of pedometer do you use? Many of them seem very flimsy.
Lee ~
on 8/12/10 3:55 pm - CA
I've been using a Weigh****chers pedometer up until a week ago when it just wore out.  It wasn't very old but I used it daily.  I have an older model WW that I'm going to try to revive.

I've been using a pedometer that I downloaded to my iphone.  It's more of a pain because I have to remember to turn the program on because it goes off when I've been inactive.  It also uses up a lot of battery time.

I'm on the hunt for something heavy duty.  Please let me know if you find one.

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/10 8:43 am
 Lee PLEASE get of that ankle NOW !!  this is Ava the certified personal trainer talking .... ( one of my myriad fat- years  B jobs ) 

The body is trying to tell us something when it hurts .....particularly the lower extremities are designed to be able to  keep walking  even after serious injury ..... so if you feel pain there ..... sit yer butt DOWN for  a while and let Ur body heal  PLEASE.   

U can always " test " local gyms pools for a while .... weight train on their equipment , even ride a stationary ( maybe recumbent bike  or row .. whatever doesnt hurt )..  

and I assume Ure changing Ur sneakers REGULARLY  witha ll teh mileage Ure putting in ....I learned ( the hard way of course ..one day my knees just gave out ) ..... 

that buying  brand new top of the line MENS  ( more support , better construction ) sneaks  every 200 miles run pays off in no more orthopedist bills .   Havent had a single problem in  many many years as a result .   

Lee ~
on 8/12/10 3:59 pm - CA
Hi Ava,

I can't afford to spend $130 on sneakers every 200 miles.  I walk 200 miles in less than 3 months!  That said, I just put on brand new Brooks this week.  My ankle surgeon insists on Brooks Ariel running shoes for me.  I have those fancy custom made orthodics in them to keep me stable.

I do have a gym here at home and use the eliptical, rower, bike, tread and weight machines regularly.  I also am lucky enough to have a big pool so I can swim.

Thing is... i love me a good walk! 

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...