Causes and symptoms of ulcers post op RNY??

mythinme
on 8/11/10 8:16 am
Hello gang, well after reading the prior post on ulcers...I was wondering what the causes of ulcers post RNY? 

I called the surgeon's office and they actually just wanted me to come in to see a PA. My symptoms are a burning right under the sternum and the pain can be small, local, or radiates under the rib cage. Spasms and tightening in the same area. I'd say every few hours I feel something...eating or not...

So, instead of booking an appointment, I asked for a RX for Omeprazole and that will be picked up tonight. I'll try that for the next several days and see if symptoms lighten up.

But in the meantime, I was wondering if I am doing anything wrong. What are the causes and symptoms of an ulcer or could this be something else. I have been under a lot of stress the past 4 weeks or so and have contributed a lot of symptoms to stress.

HW
/  SW /  CW /  GW (1st goal met!! ) New Goal Weight                        height 5'3"
230 / 196132  / 135                                       125

browneyedDeeva
on 8/11/10 10:46 am - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
Some of the signs and symptoms of ulcers are fatigue, belching, heartburn, indigestion, vomiting, poor appetite, weight loss, and blood streaked stool.
aw sweetie hope u get down to the bottom of ur pain and feel better i hope things subsided at home

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

paranoidmother21
on 8/11/10 12:06 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
Oh Diana - I have no answers for you, only hugs and I hope it improves SOON!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

rbb825
on 8/11/10 12:51 pm - Suffern, NY
You get a burning, gnawing pain and have a constant feeling of hunger and it goes away after eating but comes right back.  Some get heartburn with it.  You might have a pain in one particular spot or just burning all over.  Just going on Prilosec isnt' a good idea.  You need an Endoscopy because you need to see if you actually do have an ulcer and what type and how bad it is.  You could have an ulcer caused by a bacteria called HPylori which needs to be biopsied during an Endoscopy and if it is positive needs to be treated with Prevacid and 2 antibiotics for 14 days, and then some need prevacid after that.  If it is negative, then you need to take a PPI for - generally Prevacid and Carafate (helps it heal faster) for 6 to 8 weeks.  You could also have a marginal ulcer which is an ulcer on your staple line and that can be serious.  Just treating you without know what is going on is not a good idea.  With the wrong treatment it will never heal and will only get worse.

Lee ~
on 8/11/10 1:39 pm - CA
Diana,  I'm clueless about ulcers, but wanted to come hug you and tell you how much I've been missing you! 

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/10 8:15 pm
 Diana I really feel 4 U after suffering with  hiatal hernia pain all these years until my surgery .   

Amazingly I am now CURED ( and dont have to take prilosec or its cousins either ,.... thank God ) .

Now the H- pylori test and the three week PREV PAK before surgery REALLY helped me ....  if thats whats causing it U HAVE to get rid of those nasty little flesh-eating bacteria ASAP.  

I can tell U from personal experience that they do not go away by themselves .... my Dad had this problem and so did I and it was LIFELONG until my surgery .

Wouldnt wish that discomfort on ANYBODY .... its worth getting an endoscopy and an hpylori test .   Good luck dear !! Swinging that lizard for U !! 
mythinme
on 8/11/10 11:45 pm, edited 8/11/10 11:55 pm
Thank you all for all your hugs and input. Yah, I am going to keep a real close eye on the pain and when I have it and when I don't so I can share with doctors. I am off on Fridays and I'll see if the doc can see me tomorrow.

I had the hpylori test done preop...nothing. I had a hiatal hernia repaired when I had the rny. So I am not sure if this can all occur after rny?? not sure. but I will be following up on it for sure.

I'll have them check everything out. I was feeling around where the pain is and it is a sore bruised feeling to the touch from the outside and right now as I drink my coffee I can feel it spasm and feel tender from inside...soooooo....I guess I'm falling apart. I feel overall crappy today. See, that's what happens when I turn another year older...lol

Thanks again everyone and I'll keep ya'll posted.

HW
/  SW /  CW /  GW (1st goal met!! ) New Goal Weight                        height 5'3"
230 / 196132  / 135                                       125

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views