eval appts coming up -- labs question

Mama477
on 8/11/10 3:33 am
I have my psych evaluation tomorrow morning and a visit with my PCP on Monday.  Wish me luck on that PCP appointment -- I'm taking my labs from the initial evaluation appointment which were all good -- as I need cholesterol meds refilled.

I do have a question --- Mean Platelet Volume came in low at 6.7 (norm is 7.5-11.2 fL)  Should I be concerned???  I've read that high count can be indicators of certain diabetes... I guess I'd rather be low than high.

My sodium was at 134 mmol/L (with normal at 136-145 mmol/L) -- I don't do salt -- could that be why???

Thanks for your help!

HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

MajorMom
on 8/11/10 7:00 am - VA
Wishing you good luck tomorrow and Monday. As far as labs, I only know about the vitamins and minerals we are likely to malabsorb. I'm thinking you probably are lower than the range because you do avoid salt in your diet. Most people don't and an arbitrary population of "healthy" people is what ranges are based on. I don't know anything about the mean platelet volume. Someone else may know and I hope they will chime in. 

Go ahead and get copies of your pre-op labs and start tracking them along with your post-op labs, looking for trends. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

rbb825
on 8/11/10 1:00 pm - Suffern, NY
I have read alot about a low MPV but nothing about a high level.  I would ask your doctor.  Are you platelet counts normal?  I don't think it has anything to do with diabetes though.

A low sodium count is related to excess diarhea, vomitting, sweating, increased fluid intake, adrenal issues or can just be due to plain ordinary malabsorbtion

Mama477
on 8/13/10 3:58 am
Thanks -- I'll let you know what I find out at my PCP Monday...

Meg
  HW 236 / SW 224 / CW 164/ GW 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 362 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 487 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 542 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views