Sad News

CuteGal1974
on 6/27/08 5:02 am - Hamilton, Canada
Oh my God?!?!?!  I am sooo very sorry to hear this news, and sooo very saddened for Colleen's family as well.  I have to say though, this news has me scared ****less?!?!  I am pre-op & scheduled for my RNY at Barix Clinic with Dr. Pop on August 12th.  My BMI is higher than Colleen's and I have diabetes & sleep apnea too.  What if I'm too scared to go through with this now...  I have always known there are risks involved, but oh my God...
Sara

Highest Weight = 295 lbs.
Surgery Weight = 266 lbs.
Lowest Weight = 174 lbs.
Current Weight = 220 lbs.
Goal Weight = 150 lbs. (5'4")
Bren & George
on 6/27/08 5:15 am - Sunland, CA
Sara, As sad as this is we must remember that this is not the norm, we don't even know what happened yet to colleen, i can tell you i spoke with her and she seemed fine.  She may have had a complication so stay positive and remember many of us have gone through this and are doing just wonderfully. hugs Brenda

Brenda's ticker    
                                                  Georges's ticker
Proud Angel to Tantrica-CPL60,obrienbus18-JackieW- Magenta40

CuteGal1974
on 6/27/08 5:23 am - Hamilton, Canada
Thanks for replying Brenda. I know you're right & compared to the # of folks on OH that are happy & healthy, this is "just" 1 person. However, Colleen (while I didn't know her at all) was someone's mom, she was someone's daughter, she was someone's sister, lots of people loved her no doubt, she had lots of friends on OH & off (I'm sure). I just don't know how to feel right now...

I am pre-op, and I am soooo bloody scared now after hearing what's happened to Colleen?!?! Should I be thinking this is due to the fact that she went to Mexico? Did she have really really serious comorbidities? Was it the surgeon's fault? Like I said in my earlier post, my BMI is higher than Colleen's was, and I have diabetes & sleep apnea too. I've researched WLS/RNY to death, and I know the risks involved & accept them (or I thought I did), because I guess I am realizing now that I fell into the "it won't happen to me" category?!

I went to Colleen's profile, and read her last entry on her blog on June 7, 2008 & she seemed so pumped about getting that 2nd chance at a new life, as we all are. So why? Why did this happen?

I have a 2 year old son, and I'm all he has, and it terrifies me to think that if I don't make it out of this surgery he'll be all alone, and he'll never remember me either. My head is spinning right now. I'm so scared?!?!? H-E-L-P?!?!?!

Will you be keeping everyone updated on what happened, 'cause I'd really like to know? Also, is there anything we can do? Thanks.
Sara

Highest Weight = 295 lbs.
Surgery Weight = 266 lbs.
Lowest Weight = 174 lbs.
Current Weight = 220 lbs.
Goal Weight = 150 lbs. (5'4")
Elizabeth N.
on 6/28/08 4:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
Hi there. I don't usually post here, but have dropped in to keep up on this thread and see updates as more news comes in about Colleen's situation.  There is risk to ANY surgery. The risk goes up for an abominal surgery.  If you had no comorbidities, I might suggest to you that you back off and give it one more college try with "diet and exercise" (yeah, like you aren't going to be doing those things postop, right?). But you have SERIOUS comorbidities, some of the deadliest ones. People don't realize what a killer sleep apnea is or how dreadfully it impacts one's quality of life. People also tend to live in denial about the fatal nature of diabetes--and it's not just a sure killer, it's an UGLY killer.  You aren't doing this just to get skinny and hot. Your life is on the line already.  That being said: If you are not CERTAIN you are ready, you can always postpone or reschedule.  Do you have airtight legal plans in place regarding your son and your estate? If not, PLEASE do this before you have surgery. And please get a medical power of attorney in place and make very clear what your wishes would be in a worst case scenario. Exercising as much control over a time when you might not be able to speak for yourself will help calm your fears.
MajorMom
on 6/28/08 4:59 am - VA
Elizabeth, thank you so much. Colleen's death has been so hard...we just weren't prepared. I guess you rarely are. Thank you for stopping in and sharing your knowledge and wisdom. Colleen's angel is in touch with one of Colleen's co-workers, so maybe we have a way to get to the truth even if Jenn decides she doesn't want to deal with her mom's OH friends. Please continue to check in and share. Thanks again, Gina  
sweetpea4u
on 6/27/08 5:06 am - ., NH
oh this is horrible!.... sweet sweet colleen..... i'm so sorry to hear this devasting news.. my thoughts are with her family in this time of great need....... i feel numb right now.......

century mark at 9 months out

sharonspence
on 6/27/08 5:27 am - Canada
Hello Thank you so much for posting on the BC web site. I talked to Collen a couple of times. It is such a shock when any one dies trying to save their lives. My prayers go out to her  family . Sharon Spence     Langley BC
Linda R.
on 6/27/08 5:39 am - Ottawa, Canada
How very sad to read this news.  I heard about it through the Ontario forum and am in shock.  What a terrible thing to happen.  I will be reading later to see if you found out what happened.  Such a long time to be in the operating room.  My heart goes out to her daughter Jenn. Thank you for letting us know this happened.  I am sure you will more to tell later. Take care....Linda (Ottawa, Ontario)
1MamaG
on 6/27/08 5:39 am - Norfolk, VA
This is trruely very sad  and scarey news, I don't really post but I have read alot of Colleens posts and replies. she was a very special person!  My prayers are with Colleens family.       Now I have to figure out how to have awhole lot of confidents for my daughters  surgery July 9th! I am not worried about my own but my daughter is a different story!
Geri G

Valleygirl855
on 6/27/08 6:09 am - Kingsport, TN
RNY on 05/08/08 with
WHAT?   I had been PMing her, I can't believe this.  I need to know what happened.  This is beyond upsetting.  Her poor family must be beyond theirselves.  She went alone and I told her she would be ok.  I am so shocked...... Dee

"Valley Girl"

SW 214 / CW 133/ GW 140  HEIGHT 5'4"  Age 53  BMI 24.9  GOAL!  New Goal 130

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 363 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 489 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 544 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views