Sad News

Godsblessedme
on 6/27/08 2:06 am
how terribly sad. her profile looks like she had such a wonderful personality. I must ask, why on earth did she decided to goto tijanua mexico for surgery!?  Is it because it was a "cheaper" surgery there? my heart goes out to her daughter and i would say to her daughter that the surgery itself is not usually this outcome, however personally i would not goto Mexico for the surgery. Theres no regulations there and we always hear these horror stories of people going to mexico for various surgeries.  God be with you Jenn!
Jen the Fa-shoe-nista
on 6/27/08 2:13 am - Jacksonville, FL
If I recall, she was a self-pay and the surgery is cheaper in Mexico.
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/08 12:11 am - AZ
On June 27, 2008 at 9:06 AM Pacific Time, Godsblessedme wrote:
how terribly sad. her profile looks like she had such a wonderful personality. I must ask, why on earth did she decided to goto tijanua mexico for surgery!?  Is it because it was a "cheaper" surgery there? my heart goes out to her daughter and i would say to her daughter that the surgery itself is not usually this outcome, however personally i would not goto Mexico for the surgery. Theres no regulations there and we always hear these horror stories of people going to mexico for various surgeries.  God be with you Jenn!
Are you suggesting deaths don't happen in the US? The doctor she went to teaches in the US, perhaps you are not aware of that.  He's not my pick for surgeons but not because his skills are less than par.  His skill level happens to be excellent, that is why he trains US doctors. I don't think you are doing the family any favors with this bigoted line of discussion.  There are some people that if they don't go to Mexico they will not be able to have surgery at all.  Is this your preference?  Just let them die of obesity related issues because you are not educated about the world outside of the US? Shame on you.
obmd
on 6/27/08 2:14 am - Portsmouth, VA
I cannot believe this.  I know that Colleen had such hope for her new life and I am sure that her daughter is devastated.  I know that we will never know what truly happened to her, but I agree with Gina in that something must have gone wrong in surgery or soon after given how long it took her to get to her room.  I guess we lightweights now have our own angel in heaven watching over us.   God bless you, Colleen.
Becky

Jen the Fa-shoe-nista
on 6/27/08 2:17 am - Jacksonville, FL
Wow what a shock.  That is so terrible and upsetting.  I know how excited she was, and I do recall what a time she was having with her daughter not being supportive. I am sure her daughter is just speaking out of grief but I do hope this doesn't scare off any pre-ops who might be reading this.  Yes, death is a risk we take when undergoing a surgery like this.  Death is a risk we take simply driving down the highway these days.  I hope our pre-op readers will continue to make the decision for themselves and weigh ALL of their options, rather than letting one incident make it for them.  R.I.P. Colleen.  Today is a sad day for us lightweights.
Kim_68
on 6/27/08 4:23 am
Thank you sooo much for posting this.  You see, I am 13 days away from surgery and was sitting here a big, blubbering mess, wondering what I am doing??!!   My beautiful, 16yr old daughter is sitting here reading all of this with me.  I needed her to read it too and know that I am doing this for ALL the right reasons.  I would never put myself in harm's way if I knew it meant I would not be here for them years from now.  I adore all my kids and want to be a Nanny one day.  Colleen did too, I am sure of that.  I doubt if she thought for one nano-second, that something would happen to her, she would have gone through with RNY or any other surgery.   May God keep Colleen and like an earlier post stated, now her friends have a Real Angel watching out for them.  RIP beautiful lady.

CuteGal1974
on 6/27/08 5:26 am - Hamilton, Canada
Phew, I just typed this long paniced email to Colleen's Angel (Brenda), and I have to admit I am SUPER SCARED now.  However, I just read what you wrote - "Death is a risk we take simply driving down the highway these days." - and you're right... I need to take some deep breaths & try to calm myself...  I'm really upset & scared by this, and I didn't know Colleen at all...
Sara

Highest Weight = 295 lbs.
Surgery Weight = 266 lbs.
Lowest Weight = 174 lbs.
Current Weight = 220 lbs.
Goal Weight = 150 lbs. (5'4")
Godsblessedme
on 6/27/08 2:28 am
i agree i hope it doesnt scare off any preops but i hope it will make someone think twice before going to Mexico for the surgery just because its "cheaper"  RIP Colleen
StarvingArtist
on 6/29/08 12:08 pm - In my Studio
You have made your point more than once. Out of respect for those who are mourning the loss of their friend, please refrain from making an issue out of this anymore. This is not the time or place for this.
Gina D.
on 6/27/08 2:38 am - NY
RNY on 01/23/08 with
OMG this is so freaking sad, she was such a sweetheart. I seriously cant believe this.

HW-245/SW-238/CW-126/Goal-145/Height-5'6"

Made goal 9/2008

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 363 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 489 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 544 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 560 views