Is anyone elso going through this?

Miss_Kitty
on 5/21/10 8:56 pm - New Bedford, MA
I have been feeling like I have been going crazy this past month!  I have often times thought about checking myself into a mental hospital!  Has anyone ever heard of ............

POST OPPERATIVE DEPRESSION, or POST SURGICAL DEPRESSION?

I found out about it doing a search about the causes of depression. Then I Googled it. I read that it can occur immediately after surgery as well as up to months later. I am about 3 months post-op. Lately, I have been having severe anxiety attacks, severe depression, crying spells, even times throwing tantrums!  Has anyone else heard about this? Has anyone else gone through it?  Is there anyway out of it without being put on antidepressants?  I was on those in the past and had trouble tolerating them. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

Ellen G.
on 5/22/10 11:57 am - Bensalem, PA
I'm certainly no expert, but I have heard that this surgery can cause pretty significant hormonal changes.  I can understand your apprehension about anti-depressants, but I think you should definitely talk to your PCP.
nymomof2
on 5/22/10 1:18 pm
Lap Band on 12/09/09 with
On May 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM Pacific Time, matthewsmom501 wrote:
I'm certainly no expert, but I have heard that this surgery can cause pretty significant hormonal changes.  I can understand your apprehension about anti-depressants, but I think you should definitely talk to your PCP.
I agree, talk with your PCP about some options. Sorry couldn't more help.   Good luck!

~TONI ANN~
Proud mommy to 2 beautiful
boys!

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/10 2:59 pm

Talk to your Dr.  It could be post-op depression, but more likely it could be from the weight-loss.  There are lots of hormones in fat.  As you lose the fat, the hormones get dumped into your body. The first several months post-op can be a roller coaster.
sittalee
on 7/8/10 6:40 am
I am currently 11 months out and I think I went through what you are talking about. Go to support meetings if you can. Talk to your Doctor. I already talke anxiety medication but I know exactly what you are talking about. Food made me happy and suddenly I didn't have that anymore no what? But you work through it and it does get better!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...  It's about learning to dance in the rain!

AliciaDDG
on 12/20/10 8:54 am
Yes this can be normal. Talk to your doctor about it, go to support meetings and ask for help. Ask for meds if you feel the need. Many of us are on meds. I take prozac myself.
Most Active
Recent Topics