Limited Dining Options

Chelsea M.
on 6/20/11 11:35 am

I was going to ask about people in college having WLS but that's too specific. Have any of you dealt with really limited choices as to how healthy you can eat, maybe at work or eating at someone else's house? Do you have any tips or suggestions about how to stay on track? I'm worried that being at college, I'll have a hard time finding things I can eat. I'm lucky because I can think of several choices I have but I quickly grow tired of foods if I eat them often. Any advice, even if it's secondhand, will help! Thanks!

If life seems absurd, what you need is some laughter!
                                                                       --Bright Eyes
jess_wilson
on 6/20/11 11:42 am
 I'm in college also and planning to have the surgery before I move back in or shortly after. I'm kind of worried about the same thing. My plan is to just mix things up. I know thats probably easier said than done, but I'm going to try. The biggest thing is moderation. Just eat small amounts and make sure to get your protein in first.
Kdawgggg
on 6/20/11 12:44 pm
 I wouldnt worry about it. its only for the first few weeks that your choices are limited so as long as there is some sort of protein where you are you be fine. And dont worry about getting sick of food. After surgery, at least for me, eating is more of a chore, something you do so you can live, not something you live for.

Kristen M.
on 6/20/11 11:16 pm - VA
LOVE that! "something you do so you can live...not live for" I have been living for food way too long & I AM SO EXCITED TO LIVE FOR ME FROM NOW ON!!! sorry, that quote got me really excited! :)

I think you will be okay no matter what.  My doc todl me for the first year you don't WANT to eat & that you kinda have to make yourself...& by the time your year is up you will be able to eat what you want!! So don't think about that kinda stuff & think about this...NEXT SUMMER YOU'RE GOING TO LOOK AMAZING! or christmas! what a gift to give your friends ad family & most importantly yourself! being healthy!!

I kind of am curious as to the alcohol that people drink after surgery. i know some girls who drink like it's nothing...but i'm a light weight before my surgery so i can't imagine how i would be after! my doc told me that i was to only have one drink once a week if at all & that it would do me in! Lol & if i have a drink at dinner that is the only time they want me to eat & drink at the same time so the food absorbs some of the alcohol.
What you do today creates every tomorrow-Oprah    
ahleeeshah
on 6/21/11 2:10 am
I'm only 2 months out so I haven't had any yet, but what I've read so far is that it's not the best idea. First off, it's empty calories that you don't need. Secondly, most people that drink can have one drink and then they're quickly drunk, quickly sober, and have a hangover the next day. Now, YMMV on this because some people are okay with it, but when I would drink pre-surgery I liked the buzzed feeling, not the drunk feeling, and I definitely didn't like the hungover feeling!

Kristen M.
on 6/21/11 2:20 am - VA
i have not heard that before. but my surgeon hasn't told me how long he woud like me to wait before drinking.  What does YMMV mean>?
What you do today creates every tomorrow-Oprah    
ahleeeshah
on 6/21/11 2:33 am
Sorry, it means "Your mileage may vary". Basically, your experience could be completely different!

Kdawgggg
on 6/21/11 5:21 am
 You can drink and become quite a cheap drunk. You get drunk fast and sober up pretty quick. Although I wouldn't drive at all. You may feel fine, and probably are but because of out altered systems, your BAC will be high. I've never heard anything about all alcohol being bad for you hangover wise, but its best to just stick to top shelf alcohol, less of a chance of a hangover. Its also not a good idea to do it soon after surgery, maybe 4-6 months out. (I'm going to Vegas 4 months out so I'll let you know how that goes) Order Grey goose and soda with a splash on cranberry and you'll be set. Not to much sugar, but still tasty. 

apryldee
on 6/30/11 1:53 pm - houston, TX
I am 2 years out. I occasionaly have a drink. I dont allways get a hang over feeling the next day uless it was some serious hard liqur. If I have a margarita or something I just get drunk really quickly. It only takes a few sips. I thought I was a light weight b4 surgery ha its nothing like it is now. I dont go drinking every night. But I may have a drink like once a month. As to the OP being in college if living in the dorms if you dont have a kitchen then walk around your cafetera and choose things that look healthy and stick with the protein first. Keep protein bars or any other sorce of protein in your room. And if you are going to a friends house and you know they cook in a way that could make you sick after surgery, like to much oil,sugar or whatever then bring a snack with u like deli meat or something. I know in my dorm all I had was a fridge and microwave. So delie roll ups are realy good. these u can mix up by getting different flavored meat and different types of cheeses. You can be a sussfull wls patient and still go to college and have a good time I did it. Enjoy the new you and college.

SW 280/ SW 266/ PPW 175/ CW 185

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal picture

nursenaomi85
on 6/21/11 2:29 am - houston, TX
 As far as college goes, if you can pack your own lunch do so, I know if you live in dorms most of the time your kitchen is a microwave(i dont miss those days). If you have to go into the caf then get protien sources first like grilled chicken, ground beef, cheese, etc. I try to plan my meals out in my head before going in. At work I usually will bring a lunch or drink water since I work nights. As far as alcohol goes I wasn't told not to have it, but logically I know its not good this early out. I was told to stay away from sugary mixed drink and that alcohol will hit you really fast. That's about it luckily i have several friends who have had the procedure done before me so I usually ask them if I can have.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
HW:322   CW:180   1st goal: 150    2nd goal:125-130(im a shorty)  

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 512 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2291 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4169 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6722 views