10 years out and my teeth are crunbling

kathy in horseheads
on 10/26/14 2:43 am - horseheads, NY

I have a water pic, but rarely use it.  What exactly is alkaline water?  Is it distilled water or is it something that you can buy?  It's worth a try.

5'2"-pre wls 237, lowest weight 140-current weight 178--
TT with anchor incision on Dec 5, 2007--don't regain after tt--it hurts!!

NYMom222
on 10/26/14 2:07 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I've had a water pik-type device that attaches to your shower head for years. Really helps with plaque and gums. I bought it off Amazon. Do it daily while I shower and no mess.

http://www.amazon.com/ShowerBreeze-Water-Jet-Dental-Irrigator/dp/B003ES2HNI

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

claudia P.
on 10/27/14 12:47 am - West Sacramento, CA

Yes, I have had a lot of trouble with my teeth.  I have lost two teeth that disintegrated under existing crowns. I have thousands of dollars of work that needs to be done just to keep me from losing more!

sassygirl1410
on 10/27/14 7:42 am
RNY on 02/28/13

I'm only 19 months post surgery and my teeth seem to not have changed.  However, years ago, I had tons of problems with my teeth.  It was acid reflux that was eroding my teeth. I went on Protonix--still on occasionally now--but it seemed to stop the decay entirely.  I will talk to my dentist at my next appointment to see if he has any suggestions since I had bypass...

catwoman7
on 11/2/14 1:33 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I haven't had surgery yet but have been really concerned about this, so I asked my dentist about it when I was there last week.  He said he hasn't seen this in his practice (although I doubt he has many WLS patients), but he thought there might be something about or related to the surgery that causes more acid to be present in the mouth.  He suggested a prescription toothpaste that's really high in fluoride.  You use it before bed and just spit the excess out - as opposed to rinsing it out - and your teeth get a fluoride bath all night.  He said this and regular flossing should  prevent it if it's due to acid.  He went ahead and wrote me a prescription so I could get started right away.  Hope this works....

claudia P.
on 11/4/14 1:05 am - West Sacramento, CA

For me, I think this is related to my PTH always being slightly elevated. I think the calcium is leeched from my bones, and from my teeth.  I could be completely wrong, but that's what I believe.  By the way, calcium levels mostly always show up normal. It's the PTH that you need to be concerned with.

catwoman7
on 11/4/14 6:47 am
RNY on 06/03/15

could be.  I've read that calcium being leeched from bones is a known problem - it stands to reason that that could be the cause of (or a factor in) some people's dental problems, too

msfortunecookie
on 11/9/14 8:53 am - CA

Doctors are like sorority girls - they like to blame one another!

Sometimes, as you age, your tooth enamel is worn or thinned. This is especially true if you've been hooked on carbonated soda (especially diet soda) or if you have dry mouth or had suffered with significant GERD.

Most Active
Recent Topics