10 years out and my teeth are crunbling

kathy in horseheads
on 10/24/14 10:16 am - horseheads, NY

Has anyone had problems with their teeth after 10 years?  I have never missed a vitamin or supplement and I'm faithful with y follow up.  My calcium levels show up normal.  I was negligent and missed my dental appointments for the last two years due to a problem with my dentist.  I have gone to two dentists so that I have two opinions.  Both agree that I have only 2 teeth that don't have cavities.  Some of the teeth have two or three cavities.  I just had 5 crowns put on y upper front teeth and I'm still looking at between $6,00-$7,000 in dental work.  I've never had problems with my teeth before.  Both dentists suggest it's from the RNY surgery

5'2"-pre wls 237, lowest weight 140-current weight 178--
TT with anchor incision on Dec 5, 2007--don't regain after tt--it hurts!!

Bibo
on 10/24/14 2:03 pm

interesting....but a lot of doctors blame stuff they don't know about on RNY.....are you taking any kind of stimulant medication or ofther medication that can cause a tooth sensitivity or cavitites>  I had to start flossing after i chewed my multi because it had sugar.

Intesteed to hear what you find out...my teeth ahve been super senisitve but dentist said use ACT mouthwash and sensodine, it seems to be working  Good luck

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/25/14 5:44 am

Calcium may be high but until you check PTH and vit D, K2, magnesium, boron, etc you don't know if your body is pulling calcium from your teeth and bones or your absorbing it. 

If you have problem with your teeth - maybe it is time to also check your bones? Bones density. 

If the bones are ok - maybe your diet - more acidic, contributes to the teeth decay.. 

I know i like more acidic  drinks and food, and i need to make sure i rinse my teeth very well after that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kathy in horseheads
on 10/25/14 8:50 am - horseheads, NY

I just had a bone density test (I have one every other year) and I have osteopenia.  I had that about three years after the surgery, but it hasn't progressed any so that's good..  I have had all of the tests that you mentioned except I'm not sure about boron.  I do drink a lot of Propel vitamin water and although it's sugar free it does have some acidity in it to flavor it.  I am now brushing 4 to 5 times a day because I am so worried that I will lose my teeth.

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/25/14 10:50 pm - Windsor, Canada

Did you have a lot of vomiting as a new post op!? I mostly see the teeth issues related to the calcium levels or damage from excessive vomiting?  How about your vitamin d?

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

kathy in horseheads
on 10/26/14 2:39 am - horseheads, NY

No, I never had any vomitng at all.  I had a really smooth recovery..never any problems with the exception of the osteopenia.  I am on a prescription Vitamin D that I take once a week and my levels have always been good.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/14 1:34 am

Excessive brushing specially after drinking acidic drinks may cause more damage than good. It is not a good idea IMO.  But rinsing the mouth with alkaline water...and using gentle water pick instead of brushing its great idea. (Based on my dentist and research i did)

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

56sunShine14
on 10/26/14 1:46 am

This is true.  I have never had really good teeth in that as a child, I had many cavities.  But they are so strongly set that 2 dentists refused to pull them for dentures.  I have been told by my now dentist that I have spent too much emphasis on brushing and brushing too hard so have been advised to use a soft bristle and only up to 4 times daily ( I do 3).

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/14 1:55 am

I only brush 2 times..and i use natural toothpaste, not whitening. Plus i rinse my mouth a lot, use green tea, plus use floss and water pick... A lot..

My teeth are horrible from genetics and early childhood... I Would like to keep the ones i still have..

chevtow41
on 10/26/14 1:54 am
DS on 11/11/14

Yes, drinking acidic drinks softens your tooth enamel and if you brush after it softens it's easy to damage the enamel .

Most Active
Recent Topics