TLC New Show - "I can make you Thin"

cutie3pie5
on 3/2/08 11:35 am, edited 3/2/08 12:38 pm - Lexington, SC
Hello my fellow grads!!  I was very curious to see if anyone saw the commercial for TLC's new show "I can make you thin" with Paul McKenna.  I did a bit of research to see what this was all about and found that he is a hypnotist that can help people lose weight with "re-training" the mind.   I am really curious to see others' opinions of this.  Do you think this may be another gimmick, like many like some of us fell into with our struggles? Or can this be a break through?   I have mixed feelings about this...  but I am very curious to watch to see what the message is and what its about, just as a perspective thing.   The show is supposed to premiere this coming Friday, March 7th at 10pm.  (I am not promoting it, just passing on information.) ~Shannon
Cindy O.
on 3/2/08 12:07 pm, edited 3/2/08 12:08 pm - Bryan, TX
I saw the commercial.  Heard them say something to the effect of you can eat anything you want and still be thin or lose  weight.  Sounds like a crock of ripe bulls*** to me.  Just MHO Cindy edit:  I have to add that I am not susceptible to hypnotism, so that is where my skepticism stems.
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
JustJo
on 3/2/08 2:13 pm - Effingham, IL
Wow,  haven't seen these commercials yet (which is surprising, considering how much time I spend watching TLC & HGTV shows!).  I am curious enough to make it a point to watch it. If Cindy (who posted above) heard correctly that the commercial suggested people can eat whatever they want & still lose weight, well, . . . that just can't be, hypnotism or not.  But I'm intrigued by the concept of hypnotism and do believe it can be an effective supplementary tool for whatever method of weight loss a person might choose (wls or traditional methods).   I'll be curious about this show.

Always,
Jo

Ruth A.
on 3/2/08 5:11 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Paul McKenna is a well known TV celebrity hypnotist in Britain, and this is a re-run of a show over here. What it is all about is a re-training of the mind.  Essentially, yes, you can eat WHAT ever you want, just not AS MUCH as you want.  Also just like we all have been doing, re-training our minds to avoid trigger foods, realising that we over-eat and sometimes one mouthful is enough.  Also gives some strategies to re-train. It is interesting watching

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/08 10:53 pm
He has books to make you thin and make you rich, and a lot of other things ;-) http://www.mckenna.com/Default.aspx?pid=2 It appears he might just know what he's doing... well, at least it worked for Ellen DeGeneres who quit smoking thanks to him :-) I've always wondered if hypnotism would work on me... hmmmmm.... Angie
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/08 11:17 pm
I'll plan to watch that show, but I would be a little leery about anybody that says you can eat what you want and be thin. Lord, I wish that was the truth. The people that advertise those little pills say the same thing, "Take this pill and eat whatever the hell you want and don't exercise at all and you'll lose 50 pounds in a month." I've taken lots of those pills and it didn't work very well. I've found the only thing that works is eating right and exercising, it's a shame, but it's the truth.
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/08 11:25 pm
I reckon the difference here is that you are re-training your mind, so that your relationship with food is modified... at least that's what I'm guessing... so you'll subconsciously make better choices when it comes to eating...  So yeah, you probably CAN eat what you want, but you might not want to, or you may eat small portions, etc...
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/08 11:27 pm
P.S. Eating right and exercising... that's a GOOD thing... no?  I do believe that is the only thing that works in the long term... so I think it is the truth, but I don't think it's a shame... It's good for us!
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/08 3:01 am
You are so right, of course. I was doing my workout this morning, not enjoying it very much, but honestly it felt good, I would have just rather been in the bed another hour. And I realized how wonderful it was to be able to do it. I should be so happy to have this good health and endurance, and not fuss about what it takes to maintain it. There's lots of folks that would love to be in my New Balances. It's all good.
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/08 3:06 am, edited 3/3/08 3:06 am
Trust me, I was answering your post, but was mostly talking to me! :-)   An extra hour in bed sounds pretty darn good to me too!  Tee hee... Angie
Most Active
Recent Topics