Recent Posts

countrygolden
on 1/29/11 2:05 pm - Amboy, WA
Topic: RE: New to the board! (and the state)
Hey neighbor! I live in the Vancouver area. Welcome! I am having VSG surgery next Wednesday but I'm having it done in Edmonds WA so I won't be able to join their support group. This is a great forum for getting all kinds of support!
soldierzgirl36
on 1/28/11 12:52 pm - WA
Topic: RE: Bariatric Surgery at Madigan/Fort Lewis/Wellness Test question
Hey there,

I am a armywife living on McChord and getting surgery at Madigan. My surgeon there is Col Matt Martin. I already saw him last week and got my date for 7 March. He is awsome and knows soo much. I also love Sebesta but he is also wonderful.  The phsyc eval is a breeze. Just be honest with your answers. The first part visit is a test that is kinda long but like a SAT test. Multi choice, then the second just lasts a few minutes to see if you have any concerns or fears and to tell you that you can continue treatment with that dept after durgery if you want. Keep in touch and add me as a friend so we can chat and swap information!!

SOLDIERZGIRL

chrissysue
on 1/28/11 11:01 am - WA
That would be great! Even if I couldn't make it to the group, it'd be great just to get to know someone around here that has had the surgery. :)

Hislady
on 1/28/11 9:30 am - Vancouver, WA
There is a wonderful support group in Vancouver I used to go to. It is run by the bariatric surgeons at SW Wash Medical Center. I just got out of the hospital myself from gall bladder surgery, but I will find the info for you and send you either a PM or post it here. They are really nice people and will give you lots of support. Welcome to the great NW, it'll grow on you after awhile.
onefunolygirl
on 1/27/11 5:33 am - Olympia, WA
Topic: RE: Clothing swap/party? South Sound area.
Hi Alissa.  I just checked the support group site and it looks as though the events calendar has been updated to show the meeting to be held the 3rd tuesday of each month.  I just RSVP'd that I will be attending and added it on my calendar so I dont forget.  Hope to see you there.

-Teresa

5' 6", 53 years old 

Highest Weight:   320+  ( Years ago ), Surgery Weight:  270    ( 11/12/10 )
First Major Goal:       220     ( Century Club!!!  100 lbs lost from my highest weight, (Achieved  3/24/11))
Second Major Goal: 198.7  ( Onederland!!!  Have not been been there in 20+ years (Achieved  8/4/11))
Third Major Goal:     160     ( Lost Myself!!!  Half the person I used to be (Achieved 4/14/12 at 159lbs))

Helen_Anne
on 1/27/11 4:23 am - Bremerton, WA
Welcome to Washington!!

Sorry about the weather!  You did arrive in our "Monson" season that lasts from Nov thru Mar or April.

I am not sure if you know this... but there are bariatric surgeons in your area... I am not sure if they are in Portland or Vancouver... so I am thinking there are support groups there also.  That being said... you may want to follow up with a Primary Care Provider and get your lab work done. There is a good document from one the National Bariatric Assoc about where your vitamin should be. If you need a the list of labs you need... I think I can get you my surgeons recomendations... which mirror the National Recommendations.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

susanh56
on 1/27/11 3:18 am
Topic: RE: Bariatric Surgery at Madigan/Fort Lewis/Wellness Test question
My surgery was on January 12th at Madigan. My surgeon was also Dr. Rush. Unfortunately I had a "kink" so they had to open me back up on the 14th. I'm out of the hospital now after a full week after the 2nd surgery. I feel good but I'm so sweaty and am finding it hard to drink the protein drinks that I need. Does anyone have any suggestions???
chrissysue
on 1/26/11 1:37 pm - WA
Topic: New to the board! (and the state)
Hey everyone...

Well, my name is Chrissy. I'm 25 years old. I had a RNY in 2002, and lost about 150lbs.. I didn't regain any until 2007 when I got pregnant with my first child and ate til the sun came up... I went from 160lbs to 225 by the time he was born. I got down to about 200 until my second pregnancy, but behaved and only gained 25lbs. She was born in July 2009 and since then I haven't lost much weight... I am at about 195lbs. I'd like to get back down to 160 and am struggling a bit.

ANYWAY, I am also new to the Vancouver Washington area. My husband got a new job which brought us here from our home in Hawaii. We're pretty cold... :-p

A bit of the weight struggle I am having is the lack of support now.. I don't have any friends here.. I don't have a doctor here.. (But to be honest after my 2 year post op..I havent seen my surgeon since..) and I am eating a bit more than I should.  Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 1/26/11 6:57 am - WA
Topic: RE: Feeling very nervous about upcoming surgery
It is very normal, Just think about the new you! Take lots of before photos, I know you may not want to but you will enjoy them later! Don't panic! Call your Dr and talk about it! Good luck and everything will be fine! I am 9 years out RNY and I would not change a thing!!! Good luck.

Merrilou
(deactivated member)
on 1/25/11 10:45 am - Olympia, WA
Topic: RE: Feeling very nervous about upcoming surgery
Its totally normal. I had many, many sleepless nights before my surgery and even several 'freak out break down' sessions. Its a major change to your life, and it would be unnatural if you didn't feel anything.
Most Active