Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 7:36 am - Olympia, WA
Topic: RE: new around here
Jenn, you live in Olympia? Me too! And I'm 31, so right around the same age as you too (tho no kids!)

We are starting a support group in Tumwater (I think you can find it when doing the search for groups here on OH), and I'm sure we would welcome pre-ops as well as the usual post-ops, if you want to meet people face to face and talk. It meets once a month, I think its the third Tuesday of each month.

If you have any questions or ever need a person to talk with about the process, email me. I'm only 3 months post op. Who knows, maybe we can walk around Capitol Lake!
jcatt1968
on 4/14/11 1:37 pm - federal way, WA
Topic: post-op maybe looking for diff doc
Does anyone know of any bariatric surgeons in the area that will see post-op patients from a different surgeon? I tried to get an appt with mine and was told "He doesn't see post-op patients" that I could "only see the nurse practitioner." Nothing against her,she is great and super nice and spends alot of time with me when I go in, but I'm having problems that I would like to be addressed by a doctor.

thanks

Joy
Joy
starting wt: 350
current wt: 145
mydi4u
on 4/13/11 9:58 am - federal way , WA
Topic: RE: Need help finding a support group
 Everett: Northwest weight loss surgery clinic conference room. 125 130th street se Everett, wa  *(1866-3502263 Please call first ) * 2nd monday  LAPBAND and 3rd Thursday LAPBAND 

University of Washington Medical Center also has a support group. I got a hand out from my doctor that has a list of all the support groups in washington . 

Heres a number they listed to contact someone about finding a support group. Hope this helps!!! 206-598-1752 Bariatric support info line
Andrea_1972
on 4/13/11 9:25 am - WA
Topic: Plastics at Madigan
I am 18 months out after a revision. I have been holding steady at 155 for the longest time. my pcm thinks that I will be able to get plastics( tummy and breast lift) . anyone else have this done there?
gymmom33
on 4/12/11 1:16 pm - Edgewood, WA
Topic: RE: new around here
Hi Kim...nice to meet you!! I had my surgery last November and am doing pretty good so far. I had the sleeve. You have picked a great Doctor!! Feel free to send me a friend request if you want and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have!
Have a great day!
Diane 

HW 367 Start of liquid diet 342  SW 325  CW 199 GW 160
    Diane
jarretbabe
on 4/12/11 11:32 am - Olympia, WA
Topic: new around here
Hello everyone.
I have been lurking around for a while now, and figured it was time to introduce myself,
My name is Kim, I am a 33 yr old mom of three. I am currently working with Dr. Srikanth on the six month supervised weightloss my insurance company requires, though I do have conditional approval that as soon as its over I can schedule surgery. I was pretty frustrated with it at first, but have come to the conclusion i need the time to complete all the testing and Paperwork lol.
I absloutly adore Dr.Srikanth, I am glad I decided to go with him than UW.
cheribadd
on 4/12/11 2:12 am - Shelton, WA
Topic: RE: Had my surgery on the 21st of March at Madigan
Congrats. on your surgrey and welcome on your journey to quality of life.  I had my surgrey Dec. 2010 and it will get better.

LittleMissSunshine
on 4/11/11 3:21 pm
Topic: RE: Phentermine

For what it's worth, my surgeon is recommending I get an echocardiogram prior to surgery because I took fen-phen back in the late 90s for a little while.  I wouldn't recommend taking phentermine at all... per wikipedia:

In 1959 phentermine first received approval from the FDA as an appetite suppressing drug. Phentermine hydrochloride then became available in the early 1970s. It was previously sold as Fastin from King Pharmaceuticals for SmithKline Beecham, however in 1998 it was removed from the market. Medeva Pharmaceuticals sells the name brand of phentermine called Ionamin and Gate Pharmaceuticals sells it as Adipex-P. Phentermine is also currently sold as a generic. Since the drug was approved in 1959 there have been almost no clinical studies performed. The most recent study was in 1990 which combined phentermine with fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine and became known as Fen-Phen.[citation needed]

In 1997 after 24 cases of heart valve disease in Fen-Phen users, fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine were voluntarily taken off the market at the request of the FDA. Studies later proved that nearly 30% of people taking fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine had abnormal valve findings. The FDA did not ask manufacturers to remove phentermine from the market.

Phentermine is still available by itself in most countries, including the U.S. However, because it is similar to amphetamines, it is classified as a controlled substance in many countries (including Australia). Internationally, phentermine is a schedule IV drug under the Convention on Psychotropic Substances.[1] In the United States, it is classified as a Schedule IV controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act.

Phentermine is being studied with other medication for obesity. The experimental appetite suppressant drug Qnexa is a mixture of Phentermine and Topiramate. The FDA’s Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee reviewed Qnexa on July 15, 2010. The committee voted narrowly against recommending approval.[2]

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

LittleMissSunshine
on 4/11/11 3:14 pm
Topic: RE: Need help finding a support group
You might also try Northwest Weight Loss Surgery... they're in Everett and I think they offer a support group, though I'm not sure because I wound up switching surgeons when I changed my mind from the band to the VSG.

If you don't mind driving a little bit, I believe Northwest Hospital and Medical Center (northern Seattle) offers an in-person support group through their Bariatric Surgery Program too.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

WandaWooley
on 4/11/11 7:18 am
Topic: RE: Champva and plastic surgery
Yeah! I found a plastics surgeon that takes ChampVA in Seattle. Dr. David Mathes at the UW Medical Center. ChampVA said if medically necessary they will cover. Due to rashes, etc. I do not think I will have a problem. Had surgery on tummy and breast last month. I hope this info helps someone with ChampVA

Always in Christ,
Felice
Most Active