Recent Posts

Adrianne_Dawn
on 4/25/12 1:24 pm - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
Topic: RE: Pre Op advice
 So, I asked about Protein shakes on another Forum for RNY and everyone concluded that buy a few brands and keep them on hand. Apparently any that you might like pre-surgery you might not like after and vs versa.  I'm sure it's the same for the Sleeve.   That's very exciting though...I am lucky my doctor only makes me do a liquid diet for 2 days. I'm on a low carb diet right now for 4 weeks.  Although at first I felt extremely sick because my body was freaking out. 

Congrats!! 
He who can't be Named
on 4/25/12 11:42 am
Topic: RE: I'm back....
My band had to go too, but I didn't lose much on it. Any chance they can consider the time banded a supervised diet??
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
He who can't be Named
on 4/25/12 11:38 am
Topic: RE: Confused between RNY and DS
 The only surgeon we have here that does all the surgeries including DS is Myur Srikanth in Seattle, but he is well regarded.

Like the other poster said, you have be committed to monitoring and then taking supplements for life, but that is not only with the DS, but the RNY as well. You may take different ones, but you will always take something for life.

The thing is, with RNY you will quit malabsorbing calories, but still malabsorb nutrients, making the supplements necessary, but making it harder to keep the weight off after a few years. With DS, you will always malabsorb nutrients, as well as calories because of where they are bypassed, particularly with fats. That is attractive to me, as my cholesterol is always a problem, no matter how careful I am.

There are studies on the bowel habits, that state they are about the same for both RNY and DS, so I wouldn't let that be a factor. The NSAIDS are a huge factor for me though, as I too get migraines, and have more pains every year. I don't want to imagine old age without the ability to take something like aspirin. 

I've talked to several surgeons, and they only recommend the procedures they do, so it's best to decide before getting cut, or going to a surgeon that actually does all of them, and that leaves us with only Dr Srikanth. 

I too am going to have to self pay, and I can't afford do-overs, so I'm saving for a DS. I feel certain it's my best chance. I got links to real medical studies at DSFacts.com, and recommend reading there.

He who can't be Named
on 4/25/12 11:21 am
Topic: RE: X-Post, 5 weeks 4 days post lower body lift with pics.
 Hello fellow Olympian!

You look FABULOUS! Dr Dry does very nice work, and it's a bonus that he's just a nice guy too. 

I sorta laugh when you mention the before pics being the only ones you have, because I had my only naked before pics on ONE camera, to be deleted after I had my plastics. Well, my camera was stolen, and whatever jerk took it must have burned his retinas and been blinded with those.
onefunolygirl
on 4/21/12 1:53 pm - Olympia, WA
Thank You!  Yes its amazing what they can do.  It feels great!

5' 6", 53 years old 

Highest Weight:   320+  ( Years ago ), Surgery Weight:  270    ( 11/12/10 )
First Major Goal:       220     ( Century Club!!!  100 lbs lost from my highest weight, (Achieved  3/24/11))
Second Major Goal: 198.7  ( Onederland!!!  Have not been been there in 20+ years (Achieved  8/4/11))
Third Major Goal:     160     ( Lost Myself!!!  Half the person I used to be (Achieved 4/14/12 at 159lbs))

Hislady
on 4/21/12 1:47 pm - Vancouver, WA
That is truely fantastic!!! It's so amazing what they can do medically these days! You must feel just awesome after all your hard work. It's always so inspiring to see pics like this.
onefunolygirl
on 4/21/12 12:18 pm - Olympia, WA
Topic: X-Post, 5 weeks 4 days post lower body lift with pics.
I love the before and after pics so I thought I would share some of mine. First a little background.  I am 51 years old and 5'6".  My highest weight was 320+ 15 years ago.  I had my VSG done by Dr Aceves, Mexicali Mexico on Nov 12, 2010 at 270 lbs.  I had my lower body lift done by Dr Gavin Dry, Kirkland Washington on March 14, 2012 at 177lbs.  They took off almost 17 lbs whi*****luded lipo as well as lipo of the outter thighs. Today I weigh 152.4 pounds.

Sorry about the quality of the before pics but they are the only ones i have.  Taken on March 14th 2012.

5 weeks, 4 days post op taken on 4/21/12.

Close up of tummy 5 weeks, 4 days post op taken on 4/21/12. Keep in mind pic was taken sitting. 

5' 6", 53 years old 

Highest Weight:   320+  ( Years ago ), Surgery Weight:  270    ( 11/12/10 )
First Major Goal:       220     ( Century Club!!!  100 lbs lost from my highest weight, (Achieved  3/24/11))
Second Major Goal: 198.7  ( Onederland!!!  Have not been been there in 20+ years (Achieved  8/4/11))
Third Major Goal:     160     ( Lost Myself!!!  Half the person I used to be (Achieved 4/14/12 at 159lbs))

Susan O.
on 4/20/12 7:25 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Topic: RE: Thru Thick N' Thin Support Group
 Sorry your work schedule conflicts, but if you get off work before 7:30, pop on in!
   There is a support group in Fife on the 2nd Tuesday, and VitaLady has support groups on the 2nd Tuesday and Wednesday of each month. Check out their posts on this forum for details. 

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

littlekaty
on 4/19/12 1:11 pm - Tacoma, WA
VSG on 06/03/19
Topic: RE: Thru Thick N' Thin Support Group
I wish I didn't work Mondays.  I live about a mile from the parkland fire station.  Do you know of anything on either wednesdays or thursdays.
Susan O.
on 4/19/12 8:34 am, edited 4/19/12 8:36 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Topic: Thru Thick N' Thin Support Group
 Hi Everyone!
  Please come to the Thru Thick N' Thin Support Group! We meet the 4th Monday of each month (with a few exceptions for holidays), and welcome all surgical and non-surgical weight loss friends. We offer support and education for your journey. 
  Our April meeting will feature a Protein Tasting and Q&A session from the folks at VitaLady, Inc. {No obligation to buy anything!}
   Hope to see you April 23rd from 5:30-7:30 pm at the Parkland Fire Station, Violet Meadows St. & A St (1 block off Pacific Ave/SR7). Please come in the back door.   
      (To receive reminders of our monthly meetings, please ask to join our group from the WA state group list.)

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Most Active