Recent Posts

Andrea_1972
on 1/3/10 4:26 am - WA
Topic: RE: Madigan weight loss surgery support group
I too had my surgery at Madigan and I have heard of this group( my roommate at the time was a member. She may still be) but because of other obligations that I have on those nights, I am unable to meet there.
jcheryld
on 1/3/10 1:20 am
Topic: RE: One year ago today... *pix*
Thank you everyone for your wonderful compliments and continued encouragement! This board is just great. As far as #12, I'm not sure how it came up... surgeon and I were kind of rambling on about goal weight, what the "normal" weight range is for my height, and that was his comment as he reviewed my BMI, fat mass, and muscle mass. It's still mind-blowing for me, as I see some room for improvement, but I'm very happy with where I'm at, too!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

curiousasacat
on 1/2/10 9:43 am - WA
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS! .... #12....the surgeon told you to stop..... ooooOOOOoooo.....not sure how to ask you this question... were you losing weight too fast or just that you were so ambitious to meet your goal?  Did the nutrionist tell you to increase the calorie intake since you're more muscular ? (mine had to tell me that because I was lower than my desirable fat mass percentage) and Of course, you must have gained some weight because of the muscle? Well, I think, at this point, it's not how much we weigh now, it's the percentage of fat mass we have.... I was contemplating about a triathlon for 2010, but now I'm just commuting on my bike to school, starting next Monday...   and yes, I agree -- take the leap--it's our chance at life again!

Kelly
KARA_TOP
on 1/2/10 2:45 am - richland, WA
HOT-HOT-HOT!!  You are an inspiration!!

All time highest: 370
Started this process: 343
Day of surgery: 281
Current: 150
Goal: 140'ish
Wow thats alot of info
sppollock
on 1/2/10 12:13 am
Topic: RE: Looking for Revision Surgeon in Washington State
I just had a revision surgery on 12/3.  I had my original surgery i***** just a bit of background.  The Dr. I used for my revision surgery was Dr. Thirlby at Virginia Mason in Seattle.

https://www.virginiamason.org/home/dept.cfm?id=1092

Good luck.
curiousasacat
on 1/1/10 5:09 pm - WA
Topic: RE: Reactions from friends/family during the holidays??
It's pretty simple--how did we know we were obese or morbid obese? The shape, the weight, the height. I love my brother no matter what--just praying that it doesn't become a problem--just a little oversight...and hope he'll bounce back. He's a great father to someone who survived swine flu for a whole month and everything... and 2 other kids...heck, he's the best brother I've ever had, through thick and thin... through all the fights and all the love we've shared.... we both got baptized together last April 2009. I probably think it's another struggling addiction, a transfer addiction. We had drug/alcohol addictions that we had overcome when we were young, but we still had the addictions inside us all the time, whether it's drugs/alcohol/gambling/shopping/food ---points to self esteem or something else...  we just need to keep an open mind and strive to be better than ourselves. I did not have an open mind for a long time... I had a hard time believing I was morbidly obese, nor have a sense of mind on doing something about it.... something sent me on that path to have RNY... and long after that... boy, that's an eye-opener... life's fragile... seize it when you can and make something good out of it. I aim to. Didn't mean to sound preachy... just the hard cold facts that I could have ended up dead at a young age and very unhappy. Find happiness and the rest will follow.  Kelly
Paula C.
on 1/1/10 12:41 pm
Topic: RE: Reactions from friends/family during the holidays??
How do you know your brother is obese?  There are normal, overweight, obese, and morbid obese. 

That is fantastic about your jeans finds at the goodwill. 
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/1/10 11:47 am
Topic: RE: drs. in spokane that do revisions to DS
Not only are there no surgeons that do DS there, but certainly no revision surgeons. Revision is much higher risk than a virgin DS or RNY, and there's only a handful of surgeons in the WORLD that I'd have do that. Look at DSfacts.com for a list of DS surgeons, and I think the closest revision surgeon is in San Francisco.

BTW - I was born in Sacred Heart in Spokane.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/1/10 11:41 am
Topic: RE: Looking for Revision Surgeon in Washington State
You want only a revision surgeon to do that surgery. Piecing the stomach back together after a RNY is tricky, and changing the intestines to the DS from RNY configuration is delicate (particularly the duodenum). Much higher risk than having a virgin DS or RNY. There are only a handful of surgeons in the world I'd want doing that surgery on me, and one is luckily just south of you in San Francisco. He's been doing these for years, and takes the tough cases too. His info is;

John M. Rabkin, MD, FACS *

Pacific Laparoscopy
2250 Hayes Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94117
Phone: 415-668-3200 or 1-888-848-8446 toll free
Fax: 415-668-2010
Email: [email protected]

I would also suggest looking at DSfacts.com. Many great surgeons there, but not all are revision surgeons.

MaryJoPowell
on 1/1/10 6:40 am - Sherwood, OR
Topic: Looking for Revision Surgeon in Washington State
Hi!
I had a RNY gastric bypass 6 years ago and have regained more than half of the weight I lost (I didn't loose more than 70% of extra weight.)  I am interested in undergoing a RNY-to-DS revision and am having difficulty finding information on reputable surgeons that are expereinced in this procedure.  I live in Portland, Oregon but certainly don't want to limit my options to this area so I'm expanding my search to Washington State as well (even Northern California).

I'm hoping that some of you might be able to help me find info, or that you've had expereince of this sort (or know someone that has). 

THANK YOU!!!!!! 

-Mary
Most Active