Recent Posts

Debbie D.
on 1/27/10 9:10 am - Chelan, WA
Topic: RE: I made it under 200!!!
Way to go !!!  Keep us posted.  I am so happy for you!  Can't wait until I have my surgery.  What type of RNY did you have? 
Debbie D.
on 1/27/10 9:06 am - Chelan, WA
Topic: RE: Regence through Boeing??
Wow...as I read through all of this, it sounds so much like what I have to follow with medicaid.  But it is 6 months with the pcp and dietitian instead of 9.  I have what all Medicaid requirements are at the bottom of my profile.

I am supportive and am glad we made some new friends here.  My step-father worked for Boeing and retired by the way.  Worked there for many years in Renton.

Oh, I met Dr. Lauter in Bellevue a few years ago when my family and I met and visited a friend from OH who had her surgery with him.  Seemed to be a very nice man.  It was nice to met a friend from here, her daughter...and even her doctor that so many people on her have gone to!

Let me know how today went for you in a email.  Thinking of you and hope it all went good for you!!!

Hugs,

Debbie

Debbie D.
on 1/27/10 8:45 am - Chelan, WA
Topic: RE: WLS - Any Regrets or No Regrets
Thank you for you reply.  I really appreciate it and anyone else who takes the time to reply. 

I want this surgery really bad.  Have for a very long time.  I don't want to give up since I have put so much already in it.  My story is on my profile of my battle to get it and now I am almost there!

Thanks again Helen!  You look great!

Hugs,

Debbie 
Debbie D.
on 1/27/10 8:41 am - Chelan, WA
Topic: RE: New Group for South King / North Pierce County
Good for you!  I am glad to here someone start something like this.  Wish I had one in my area!  I am proud of you.  I wish you all the luck in getting it going off to a great start!

Debbie D.
on 1/27/10 8:37 am - Chelan, WA
Topic: What's up???
Okay, so some of us post something on the board and hope to get some replies back. 

I see many like to peak at them and read but not have anything to say......AT ALL! 

What is up with that?   

I remember this board a few years ago being more active with support.  

Come on Washington!  

Let's see some supportive replies for people....something....please! 

Thank you   

Helen_Anne
on 1/27/10 4:46 am - Bremerton, WA
Topic: RE: WLS - Any Regrets or No Regrets

Debbie...

I have NO Regrets!!!!   I had RNY on Aug 18, 2008... and I have lost about 135#.  I wear about a 12-14 down from a sz 26-28 and I am 5'10" and 54 y o.

Now I will admit... RIGHT after surgery... when I was healing from surgery and still on the liquid diet.... I had a couple of moments of ...WHAT HAVE I DONE????  But thankfully those thoughts   passed quickly.

I am more active today than I ever thought possible!

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Christine Jeffers
on 1/27/10 12:44 am - Renton, WA
Really, that is weird cause the sleep apnea was the most major thing for me as a co morbidity. I am sure things have changed though even after a couple of years. I just wanted to reply real quick and then I will share my story in just a little bit.
Christine Jeffers
206-793-8744
[email protected]    
Pam M.
on 1/26/10 2:39 pm, edited 1/26/10 2:41 pm - WA
I'm doing great! I'm down 105 pounds since 5/26/09. Also, I had 3 surgeries, not 2. 4 months after getting my lap band, it slipped, and I had to have emergency surgery to correct it. Dr. Alperovich did my band when he was at Valley, and 3 weeks after my surgery, they closed their bariatric center. I was not happy with the way things were handled, seems they would have known this in advance. I don't blame Dr. Alperovich, it was a Valley Medical Center decision. I was told that with the economy and people losing their jobs, there were more people who did not have insurance and were self pay. Since it is an expensive surgery, fewer people could pay fro the surgery. In addition, there is a lot of competition out there, many surgeons to choose from. In summary, I guess they weren't making money on their bariatric center. It took Dr. Alperovich some time to get re-established, and I needed a surgeon for my fills. I found Dr. Lauter, and I think he is awesome. Even though he didn't put my band in, he did the emergency surgery when my band slipped.

The slipped band was very painful, and I was beginning to realize that it was not the right choice for me. I spoke with Dr. Lauter about a revision, and he told me that I would most likely have better weight loss with RNY. He was right, the RNY is way more effective. As someone who has experienced both, I can attest to that. I would never recommend the band to anyone. Just my opinion! Everyone has to make their own choice.

Dr. Lauter submitted the paperwork for a revision, and it was approved. So in a period of 10 months I had three surgeries: July 2008 - lapband, November 08 - emergency surgery, May 09 - revision to RNY. I'm thrilled with my RNY, it is the best decision I have every made. That being said, the recovery was a doozy. It wasn't painful, but I had trouble with fatigue, low energy, and no appetite. I had a hard time getting in my calories and water each day. It took me about 4 months to feel like my old self, and now, 7 months later, I feel like a million bucks! Those difficult early months were worth it, and seem like a distant memory.

Good Luck!

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

KarrieMassotti
on 1/26/10 1:02 pm - Kent, WA
I have seen my bariatric surgon 3 times.  Initial consult, some testing and follow-up to those initial tests. 

I will have my final visit with him about a week before surgery.

As for my primary.  I had the three appoinments that Regence required.  First one we recorded my weight and discussed the surgery.  Then I did a simiar appointment at 3 months and again at 6 months.

Most important thing is to make sure they record weight, record that they are overseeign your weightloss plan and exercise plan and list any issues he has due to the weight all in your chart.  You will have to submit his medical charts to regence for the approval so they need to be detailed showing the weight loss appointments.

His surgen should also have some reccomendations.  Be sure to follow those to the letter, they know how to be successful, they know the tricks.  For example, go to the Pysciatrist they reccomend even if he already has another person he sees for counsel.  Surgens ususally have ones they know will do thier job but also help the patient with approval. Experience counts here.

I have a link to my blog that I keep elsewhere on my profile.  go there and read. I have tried to blog about my entire process from day one even before I was sure I was going to have the surgery.   There may be some tips in there too that I am not remembering.

Discount code for OH Conference MassottiWA11
OH Support group leader.  Check out our group: http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/SPS/

Mrs-stick
on 1/26/10 12:36 pm - Orting, WA
Hi Christine,
My hubby works at the Renton plant. One thing I thought was interesting was fro the co-mobilities Sleep apnea was not one of them but hypothyroidism is.
Most Active