Recent Posts

thisbe777
on 1/28/10 10:05 am
Topic: RE: WLS - Any Regrets or No Regrets
i got my sleeve in september, and i'd do it again --- wish i'd been able to do it 20 years ago!!

i love to watch my butterfly flutterby....

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

thisbe777
on 1/28/10 10:04 am
Topic: RE: New Group for South King / North Pierce County
i would love to find a group....  i went to one at virginia mason, it was a great group, but i was the only sleever there and i felt a little out of place.... it would be nice to find one that i felt comfortable in and could fit in my schedule

i'm a late-in-life college student doing 18 credits this quarter 

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 1/28/10 6:14 am - WA
Topic: RE: New Group for South King / North Pierce County
I was hosting a group, first at my home then at the Auburn Eagles. If you can get enough people to meet the Eagles is a great place. We did some line dance classes it was fun. Let me know what you think.

Merrilou
Helen_Anne
on 1/28/10 5:36 am - Bremerton, WA
Topic: RE: What's up???

Maybe we just need to have some light a fire under our butts!!

At the support group last night... we learned that there is new research saying that WLS patients have better aborbion of their supplements if they are also taking probiotics.  The key here is to make sure the probiotics are "live"... and which mean they usually need to be kept in the refridgerator.  The probiotics keep the "flora" in our GI tracts healthy.  Also... the daily dose needs to be 3 to 4 billion... yes I said billion.  While I eat greek yogurt... I think I am going to look into getting some probiotics...

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Helen_Anne
on 1/28/10 5:23 am - Bremerton, WA
Topic: RE: Surgery types

I have been told that it is difficult to stretch your pouch so soon from surgery... am I correct in assuming that you had surgery in May 2009?

Question... can you eat 1 to 2 cups of solid protein?  That would be about a 12 to 16 oz of chicken.  I know that I can eat over cup of salad, crackers, popcorn, chips, watermelon, soup - but I can't eat more than 3 to 4 ozs of solid protein (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup). 

Salad, crackers, popcorn, chips, watermelon are concidered "Slider foods"... these foods "slide" through our pouchs.

What exactly can you eat 1.5 to 2 cups of?

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Diamonds-r-4ever
on 1/28/10 3:15 am - Winlock, WA
Topic: Surgery types
I was wondering what type of surgeries a retired Military can get at Madigan. I think I have stretched my pouch and need it fixed. I am ashamed to say I can eat a lot more than I should. I know I can eat about 1 1/2 cup to 2 cups of  food at a time. Need help and support. I live in Winlock and I don't have transportation at this time. Thanks for reading and the help.

Wanda T

Nicki H.
on 1/28/10 3:14 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
Hi Debbie!
I had lapband surgery Aug 12, 2008.  I have never regretted it.  To date I am down 105lbs!  It is HARD work.  Both surgeries require you to do the work just in different ways.  I started out a size 26 and in a 3X scrub for work.  I was damn near 300lbs!!!!  Now 25-30lbs from goal....OMG  I can't believe I can say that...I am in a size 14 Levis!  I don't know the last time I was there, maybe 17yrs ago when I got married???  I didn't have any co-morbidities so there was nothing to get taken off of.  However, I can now run 3 miles or so on the treadmill, my ankles and knees no longer hurt AND I can CROSS my legs....under the table  I was always so envious of the girls that could do that...it was NEVER me..NOW it is

You have to do what is right for you, but ME my self, I have NEVER regretted my decision.

Oh yeah, and once the DH got passed his insecurities he is LOVING my new me
Good luck to you!

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

Donna Childress
on 1/28/10 2:09 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Debbie,
I had my RNY perfomed by Dr. Ki Oh on May 21, 2009 - so I am just a little over 8 months out.  The first 3-4 months were very difficult - making all the mental and physical adjustments.  My only regret is that I didn't have this surgery years earlier - my family kept talking me out of it.  I'm so glad I finally made up my own mind and DID IT.  I'm now down approximately 100 pounds (I'd like to get off another 25-30 pounds).  I'm down from a size 24/26 to a size 12/14.  I look and feel so much better and am not even ashamed to get in a bathing suit now.  From all the research I've done both before and after my surgery - I would still choose the RNY.  I've never heard of anyone loosing their teeth.  Hair loss - yes - I'm guessing the person that lost their teeth had either poor or no follow up appointments with a reputable doctor.  You do have to take vitamins for the rest of your life, have blood work done to make sure your vitamin, mineral, and protein levels are correct to maintain a healthy life.  Yes, getting those checked every few months is a pain - but believe me I'd do it again in a heartbeat and I will continue to follow my surgeons plan for me to continue to stay on this healthy - new me road.  I am totally off my high blood pressure meds and water pills, thyroid med has been greatly reduced, no longer need my sleep apnea machine, my heart no longer skips beats or races, I can breathe normally again and don't get short of breath, my blood sugar is now normal (was borderline diabetic), and have been able to greatly reduce my arthritis pain meds.  If there was some decent snow around I'd be hitting the ski slopes - I'm that much better. 

I wish you the best of luck.  If you have further questions - let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Donna/ragadolly

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 1/27/10 11:11 pm - WA
No regrets! My RNY was done 8 years ago and my new life started then. I lost 125 lbs. I would do it all over again. It is a life change and it will save your life!

Merrilou
Mrs-stick
on 1/27/10 2:22 pm - Orting, WA
Topic: RE: Regence through Boeing??
Nice that they upped the time so much, Thank you so much for the pointers. Had my first Dr weigh in today and dietitian of Friday. That means only 8 months Woot woot!
Most Active