Recent Posts

eClicker
on 7/21/13 1:18 pm
RNY on 08/06/13
Topic: RE: 9 years post-op

Hi,

I'm a James K Weber patient who had a VBG in 2001.  Oh how I wish I'd had an RNY. 
Scheduled for a revision on Aug 6 to a RNY after all these years. 

VBG 8/15/01  RNY 8/6/13  5'5" HW:215 LW:165 CW:210 GW:135

Nova B.
on 7/20/13 3:06 pm - Northglenn, CO
RNY on 04/15/14
Topic: Tacoma group - Thru Thick n thin?

Does anyone know if this group still meets?  The groups page shows there is a meeting the fourth Monday of each month.  I RSVP'd  and asked to join the group but have received no response.    I am  just starting this journey and would love to join a local group.  Thanks!

elenap
on 7/18/13 2:28 pm

My second nine years were far easier than my first nine. During my first nine, I went back to school, earning two grad degrees, then started an academic career. I always took all my supplements as prescribed, and followed up with lab testing as ordered. However, at the time, knowledge about the supplements/doses needed to keep RNY patients healthy was not what it is today. And my experiences with deficiencies helped build that knowledge. Vitamin D and iron were the biggest deficiencies I dealt with, although vitamin E may have contributed to my health issues as well. Very high stress levels didn't help much - for me, higher stress levels = less absorption of nutrients from food and supplements.  

Long story short, other than iron deficiency, for which I require infusions, I have had no major deficiencies. I have figured out what I need to be healthy, both food- and supplement-wise, so things have been much smoother, health-wise. Despite some interesting  turns, my career progress and related stress level have eased significantly over the past nine years as well.  During the past couple of years, I have been healthier and felt better than ever. 

Elena

JustHat
on 7/18/13 12:30 pm - NM

What do my next 9 years look like?  Have you had any unexpected long term complications?

elenap
on 7/18/13 11:37 am

I'm some 18 years out, and always looking for people to connect with!

Elena

elenap
on 7/18/13 11:34 am
Topic: RE: Does anyone know what happened to Dr. Oh?

Dr Oh assisted with both my surgeries 18 years ago. When I nearly died from complications after my second surgery, he helped get me through the crisis.

I am sorry to hear that he has retired, even though I know many, if not most surgeons retire relatively young - the schedule is very physically demanding. I wish him the best, and hope he finds fulfilling things to do in retirement.

Elena

Sandy69
on 7/17/13 8:24 am - Fort Lewis, WA
Topic: Second surgery to have stomach pouch made smaller/LGB/TRICARE?

I had my LGB in March of 2011 and the weight loss was great and I was heading towards my goal weight of 160 lbs. Well, that was a little over 2 years ago and now my weight is stuck at 180-185 lbs. I exercise 5 days out of the week for 45 min. and I eat healthy foods like fruit, veggies, yogurt and cheese. I avoid carbs and meat (I can not stomach meat except for chicken) but the weight is not dropping so now I am trying to find out if any of you had to have a second surgery (using Military TRICARE Insurance and/or Madigan Army Medical Center) to make the pouch smaller?

I still need to have a tummy tuck done but that has to wait until we get back to WA next year since the Army Base we are stationed at does not have a Hospital that offers surgeries, only a clinic. Yes I could go to an outside surgeon but I rather have the surgery done at Madigan Army Medical Center since I know and trust them.  

I would appreciate any information on a second surgery option (is it covered by Insurance, how to apply etc.). Thank you for all your help!

Katie M.
on 7/16/13 8:18 am - WA
Topic: RE: Marysville Support Group tomorrow night!

Call 425.778.2220 and ask for Kairn or Tina!!!!

horrible_monster
on 7/13/13 3:29 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

I wasn't around nine years ago, but welcome back!

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Most Active