Recent Posts

Dickson
on 7/3/10 4:54 am - Port Orchard, WA
VSG on 07/30/10 with
Topic: Getting Sleeved in 27 Days!
Getting ready for the big day, counting down to the 30th of July.  Will get the Gastric Sleeve done down at Madigan.  Been reading like crazy and trying all kinds of protein and other supplements.  Really looking forward to the start of the new phase in our lives.  Wish us luck. 
vitalady
on 7/3/10 3:16 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Topic: RE: Post Operative Nutrition Plans
I had Dr. Fox and Dr. Oh, way back when. Since then, Dr. Srikanth also worked with these guys.

So, 4 weeks clears.
No pureed
with Dr. S, no milk (which is what I adhere to)
with Dr. O, he now says no dairy (thinks it's a loophole to ice cream - i don't agree)

We take all the vites that will cause trouble on limited food volume and/or malabsorption.

They want us to eat normal foods, BUT the main needs are met via supplements.

With the exception of having gotten involved with sugar 3 times, I've kept my wt 105-115 16 yrs. I'd say, roughly, that it works pretty well.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Julybaby29
on 7/1/10 9:08 am
Topic: RE: Hi Washington! Im one month out
Ouch! Congrats on the 44 lbs! Im about 2 months out and Im down 48! How are you feeling now?
peasncarrots
on 7/1/10 3:27 am
Topic: Post Operative Nutrition Plans
Hi all!  I am 1 week post op and seeking information on the post operative nutrition plans of others.

I am most interested in:
   duration of clear liquid and protein shakes only?
   is dairy permitted?
   amount of supplements (vitamins and protein shakes) after tolerating regular food?
   your doctor's philosophy on achieving nutritional balace through foods primarily or     
       supplementation?

Thanks for any help and advice!

Carrie

Kindle
on 7/1/10 2:09 am
 The surgery I had last year was for my leg when a car hit me on my motorcycle. Unrelated to this surgery except that we're hoping that by losing weight it'll take some of the pressure off my bones and stress off the skin graft while they continue to heal. Right now I'm 6 weeks out of WLS and down 44 pounds. As for the distention in the hospital, as soon as I was able to have regular BM and clear out my intestines my stomach started shrinking drastically. Took a couple of months but it went away.
Surgery date 05/13/2010
HW: 291
SW: 280
CW:

GW: 160
Turtle13
on 6/30/10 4:17 pm - WA
Topic: RE: Question about referral to Madigan and surgeons
Hi Mindee, it has been awhile since I went through the Pathways and I think they have revamped it since I went through, but it was a couple months from the time the referral was put in for me to go to the intro class.

I had no idea Dr. Martin was deployed. That sucks, he was my surgeon and just so awesome. I just posted on the DS board for somebody to ask for him if they go to Madigan. I know another person who got their DS and I believe she had Dr. Beekley. Good luck on your journey and I hope you get the call soon!
Turtle   
SW/CW~252/145
peasncarrots
on 6/30/10 2:03 pm
Topic: RE: Protein Shakes without milk
Because my surgeon forbids dairy products, I've made my shakes with water.  I do use the Cytosport Vanilla Protein Powder (available at Costco) which is a whey protein.  Don't know if that will work for you.  But I also add some unsweetened cocoa powder to cut the sweetness/aftertaste.

HTH

Carrie

sdld2001
on 6/30/10 11:55 am - Summerville, SC
Topic: Question about referral to Madigan and surgeons
In the next week or so my PCP is going to send in my referral for surgery at Madigan. Just curious how long it takes to find out if your referral is approved by the group bariatric overview. Also, are any of the surgeons other than Dr. Martin (I heard he was currently deployed?) currently doing the duodenal switch?

TIA everyone!
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
Julybaby29
on 6/30/10 10:45 am
My stomach is the same size as it was pre-op! Even though I have lost 47 lbs post-op! I visit the bathroom pretty regularly. Ive heard meds can make it difficult to lose weight. I have taken one pill here & there in the last week but Im hoping to be completely off of them. Im just worried about trading one "crutch" for another. I want to be careful....I have the personality to over do what ever I do. How are you doing 1 yr out? Was it hard to lose that belly weight? Take Care
Julybaby29
on 6/30/10 10:37 am
Hi.Thanks for the advise! I tried the "back brace" I had & it really helped.Take care
Most Active