Recent Posts

karen C.
on 7/15/10 4:01 am - Kennewick, WA
Topic: RE: I need some encouragement...People are scaring me...
Life is a risk when we are obese. In my case I was 55 and weighed 377 lbs. If I didn't do something I WOULD die. It was worth the risk to me. I encourage you to read lots of profiles, before and after photos, look at life now. Do you want it better?I think the balance definitely tips towards the "good" than the "bad". Hard not to be worried; I was anxious but at almost 6 years post RNY I would do it again in a heartbeat.Best wishes,

Karen C

Pamelamk
on 7/14/10 1:07 pm
Topic: support group Puyallup area?
 I live in Graham, Wa had my surgery June in everett and looking for local support group.. had RNY proximal.  if anyone knows of one close let me know.. 

thanks

Pamela
Billie Jo C.
on 7/14/10 6:34 am - Spokane, WA
Topic: Nutritionists in Spokane who take Medicaid-update
Ok I had a melt down and posted in haste/panic about a Nutritionists who takes Medicaid in Spokane Wa. After a day of waiting for phone calls from Nutritionists. I have obtained information to help not only myself but, others who need that information.....

Nutritionists in Spokane who take Medicaid

Deaconess hospital.
Sacred Heart Medical Center.
Holy Family/ Providence Hospital.

Hope this helps...

-Billie Jo

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/10 1:40 pm - .., WA
This is why I didnt tell many people before I had surgery. Thos I told, I said...Im about to tell you something personal, if you know a negative story concerning what I'm about to tell you>>> Save it. My mind is made up and I dont need to be freaked out!

One friend I have known for over 30 years, I didnt tell until it was over. I knew she would freak out and try to talk me out of it. So, I didnt tell her...I made the right decision.

Keep in mind obesity is becoming the leading cause of death in the US.
whiterabt
on 7/13/10 8:46 am
Topic: RE: Protein Shakes without milk
I have to throw in a plug for Syntrax Nectar.  It is the most amazing protein drink I've tried.  It's like drinking crystal light, mixes right into water (even chilled), and is sugar free.  There are 23g of protein per 90 calorie serving and at least a dozen flavors to choose from.

I mix the fuzzy navel flavor into an orange or fruit punch vitamin water after an intense work out to recover.

Seattle Super Supplements sells Nectar on the cheap!

If you choose rice protein, go with Mediclear.  It is by far one of the healthiest protein powders on the market.  You get all of your needed vitamins, minerals and omega fats with their blend.  Mix it with orange juice and it tastes a little like a creamsicle. 

Vega is good too, but it tastes like butt. =)

xo,
-e
Aberdare
on 7/13/10 8:17 am - Bellevue, WA
Do your research rather than scary stories. You don't mention your age. I am 67 high BP and cholesterol, sleep apnea and my surgery was a breeze. I had RNY April 21st 2010 and was back at work 5 days later.  Yes things can happen but I could be hit by a truck crossing the st. not to mention the health effects of obesity.
If you are healthy and have a GOOD Dr who thinks it is OK then trust your gut feelings. If it feels right do it. If it feels wrong then don't.
I hope you are successful either way. take care of yourself and let us know what you decide
Jay

Stephanie M.
on 7/13/10 8:14 am
Topic: RE: Post Operative Nutrition Plans
I haven't yet, looking for one close to home...

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Billie Jo C.
on 7/13/10 7:29 am - Spokane, WA
Topic: Seeking a Nutritionists who takes Medicaid in Spokane?
I need a little help fast and easy please. Anyone know of a Nutritionists who takes Medicaid (DSHS) here in Spokane Wa?

I've been on hold with Medicaid for 35 mins now,  I don't think I can wait much longer.

Thanks very much... 

-Billie Jo
peasncarrots
on 7/13/10 5:33 am
Topic: RE: Post Operative Nutrition Plans
Stephanie,
Yes I am changing doc's - I have my first fill with Cat next week!  Thanks so much for your help. 

Do you attend a support group?

Thanks!

Carrie

Stephanie M.
on 7/13/10 4:36 am
Hey Kelly...that is so sad that your neighbor lost her BF and DH after surgery.  It is a coincidince for sure....The risk is there with any surgery you undergo...
That said, there are precautions taken to reduce the risk.  A fat embolus is very rare.  Unfortunately, when they happen there isn't a whole lot that can be done. 
Pre and post-op I was given a shot of heparin to reduce the chance of a blood clot that could potentially cause a stroke.  I also wore compression stockings and they had the massage machine going on my legs too.  I was instructed to walk a bit hourly and be watchful for any signs of trouble.  With the exception of the heparin, I have had this protocol with pretty much every surgery I have had and have had no problems, even with high cholesterol, hbp, etc.
The pre-op diet is low fat and high protein and helps to reduce your blood lipids too.  Try not to worry...make your decision based on knowledge, not fear.  Obesity is a killer too.
Best of luck to you!
Stephanie

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active