Recent Posts

vitalady
on 7/17/10 5:59 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Topic: RE: support group Puyallup area?
There are 2 in Puyallup near Costco.

They were this last week and again next Aug 9 and 10.

There is also an OH group at the Summit Library, except this week it's moved and I'm sure on this message board. "Thru Thick 'n Thin", meets Monday at 5:30. It was behind Albertson's there, but moved this week. Obviously, my brain did, too.

I'm out of town, so won't be there, wasn't at my own either, will be in August, tho.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Mary1966
on 7/17/10 5:06 am
Topic: RE: Taking my first steps
Yes, he does both the band and gastic bypass.  He said that he thought the band would not be good for me because I have not shown in the past that I am capable of losing enough weight to make the band effective.  I think he was looking for more weight loss than I had put down in my initial paperwork.  I told him the most weight I had lost on a diet was about 20 pounds, which is true.
Stephanie M.
on 7/17/10 3:54 am
Topic: RE: Taking my first steps
Did Dr Wright say why he thought you should have bypass instead of a band?  I would get a second opinion...wouldn't hurt.  Does he do lap-band?  Are you able to be compliant with the dietary restrictions BOTH surgeries require?  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea during my pre-op testing and my PCP diagnosed me with diabetes 2 in January.  I had my gastric banding 7 weeks ago and have lost almost 30 lbs...I was 275 at my pre-op appt and I am 5'5" tall...
Make sure YOU are making the decision regarding which surgery to have and that you are as educated as possible regarding all of the effects of both.  I suggest reading the WLS failures board and the WLS complications board...lots of information there.
Good luck!
Stephanie

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

sweetkathleen
on 7/16/10 9:35 am - Seattle, WA
Topic: Plastic surgery
Hello everyone-
I just wanted to share with everyone that I got a surgery date. It's on July 29th, 2010 I will be having a tummy tuck at the University of WA. The 29th of July also happens to be 21 months post-op for WLS.

I am so happy and excited today.  - Have a great and happy day.

Kathleen

Mary1966
on 7/16/10 5:44 am
Topic: Taking my first steps
I had my first meeting with my surgeon yesterday.  I went into the meeting hoping to get a lap band, but Dr. Wright said he thought gastric bypass would be better for me.  This was something I wasn't prepared to hear, so now I need to look at gastric bypass and decide whether or not I want to do it.  I'm 5' 1" and weigh 250 pounds.  I have had trouble losing weight in the past, and I was recently diagnosed with Type II diabetes and sleep apnea.  I go back for my meeting with the social worker and nurse practitioner on August 17th, and if I qualify, my surgery could be scheduled in about 2-3 months.
curiousasacat
on 7/15/10 7:09 am - WA
Topic: Anyone using Bariatric RECOVER program for vitamins?
I had not been using OH for a while ---

Virginia Mason Seattle had signed a form that I could get a 3 months' supply of vitamins that I needed last September. For whatever reason, they halted the process when I asked for a refill of another 3 months' supply (I think it has to do with IRS or something)

(here's the form: http://www.bariatricadvantage.com/filecabinet/recover_form.p df )
Here's the link on the far lower right -- "Unable to pay for your vitamins?"
http://www.obesityaction.org/home/index.php

Is any one of you using the recover program and if so, who and where do you see your bariatric surgeon that signs off on this?

I live in Western Washington, close to Seattle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bahiagrl59
on 7/15/10 6:14 am
Topic: Thanks everyone for your encouragement and great advice.
I love this website. I feel like I havea  group of support and love. Blessings Kelly
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/15/10 5:22 am - WA
Topic: RE: I need some encouragement...People are scaring me...
Find a Support Group close to you and go talk to people who know what you have been going through and waht your journey will be. i am sure it will help! Hang in there.

Merrilou
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/15/10 5:18 am - WA
Topic: RE: support group Puyallup area?
Roberta Christian Hosts a support group at Auburn Hospital, Her phone # is (206) 353 8146.

Merrilou
karen C.
on 7/15/10 4:07 am - Kennewick, WA
Topic: RE: Protein Shakes without milk
I have been sold on Champion Pure Whey Chocolate since my RNY in 2005.. Still have at least one a day. Mix with water, shake in a container (with lid!) pour over crushed ice and enjoy. I now use calcium crystals that I also mix in my morning shake. Fewer pills to swallow! I am slightly lactose intolerant and these never bother me. It's not chalky, grainy, it dissolves completely without having to use a blender.

Karen C

Most Active